Sudoku anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juloo, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

My name is Juloo, and I'm a sudoku addict.

It's gotten pretty bad. It started right before the Olympics when I was laid up with a hip injury and needed something to do just hanging out in bed all the time. My husband dug out some sudoku books we had laying around the house and gave me some tips (I'd tried before, but have since found out I was doing it more labor-intensively than necessary), and now I'm hooked.

One of the books has four levels...from Easy to Fiendish. I've even managed to complete a handful of the hardest level!

I uncovered anothered book just last week, which came at a good time since I'm in the midst of a cold which has moved to my chest and has me coughing all the time. My husband has even moved to the guest room because he can't stand the noise. I'm very tired, but even with medicine that is supposed to cause sleepiness, I can't sleep much due to the coughing, so the sudoku is keeping me company.

It's like potato chips -- can't just have one.

Must. Do. MANY!
  2. Chrisnufc1892

Chrisnufc1892 New Member

Oh yes I love Sudoku, I have the game on my mobile phone too. lol

Chris x
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

On cell phones, corrections and ink!

First, I think it's a pretty good thing that I don't have sudoku on my cell...I can imagine that my battery would be habitually on the brink of winking out of existence. Since I really only use mine for emergencies, however, I would probably get a lot more use out of it!

I, too, get frustrated with my mistakes, which I usually figure out I've made only in the last quarter of the puzzle. In the last week or so, I've noticed that most of my mistakes center around not being careful about placement, not illogical choices. (Meaning, I know a certain number goes in a certain column, I double check the cross rows to determine which position, then put the answer in the wrong row. Fog!)

I'm not up to the ink level yet. I will, however, go back and erase the puzzles that I've screwed up so that I can do them correctly. I have an electric eraser from my drafting days, so that makes it an easy chore. I guess I'm a little obsessed over wanting to solve ALL the puzzles in the books.

Only in the last week am I making gains on not having to write down so many of the possible numbers in order to solve.

I don't think I could yet limit myself to only one or two a day, though!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2008]
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Wasn't there a trial that had a problem because a juror was habitually playing sudoku?

How come it's sweeping NA now? Where has it been?

Doesn't Obama play, too?

ETA is fun.

[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2008]
  5. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

My sister introduced me to it. I can't go beyond the medium level. Whenever I try, my head feels like my brain is trying to squeeze out or something. So I just take it easy on the ole noodle and keep it simple...
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

Rafiki -- Thank you for the web site recommendation. I tried it, and I liked it! Two features were good in particular -- first, that 'my' answers are in a different color, and second, that I could click to the side and the blinking cursor disappears (I am easily distracted!). It's now bookmarked!

My husband got me a hand-held version of sudoku for Christmas a couple of years back, but I just have not been able to get into it. One of the problems is that I can't easily tell which numbers were 'set' and which were mine. Also, the screen is very small, not backlit, and the larger (3x3) grid is hard to see. So far, my best situation is doing them in a book, by hand, with a mechanical pencil that has nice dark lead and a soft eraser.

Abluv -- I know what you mean about keeping it simple. After I tackled a book that had all levels in it (with some success, but in no means completely successful), the book I'm doing now is easy-to-intermediate. The more I do, I find my approach has really morphed. I'm interested now to see if it will help if I try a really hard one again.

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2008]
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

Then I could teach you the way my husband taught me -- much less stressful!

I revert to math anxiety pretty easily, so I completely understand. The first thing to remember is that it is not a math problem. The numbers are merely placeholders -- you could use nine letters, nine symbols, or even nine colors. Numbers are actually good because they are quick to write down if you need to note that there is more than one option for a space. That's why I like to do sudoku on paper with a pencil.

Hmmm...not sure how to do a sudoku tutorial over the Internet without visuals....if I think of anything, I'll let you know!
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

that would be great...figure some way to teach ME.
    I have never once done Suduko cause I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. I mean I guess I'm supposed to use a number only once to fill up the grid?

I do the word jumble in the paper everday. I also play Video Poker. I play Video Poker when we go to Vegas and always do quite well. I could actually play that for 12-15 hrs a day with no problem!! Was hooked on that online (not for real money thank God) for a long time.

I'd love to learn Suduko and if I could learn an 'easier' way instead of overthinking it like I do everything else right from the get-go that'd be great!

9. Juloo

Juloo Member

And I'm up (as usual), since I don't get sleepy until around 2. And I'm guessed it...sudoku!

The whole time, I'm trying to think of how I could break down the parts in order to teach a beginning puzzle by description. I think what I could do is ask someone who wants to learn to download a puzzle blank. Then I could post the numbers to put in so that we are all looking at the same puzzle.

Then we'd need to have a short lesson on terminology -- rows vs. columns, the 9x9 grid vs. the 3x3 grid, etc. If we could know that we're all talking the same language, then we could start analyzing a puzzle step-by-step.

Anyone up for it?

If so, I'll try to pull it together...maybe this weekend? I can post a puzzle that I've done that is above the child level and not so simple that it's a matter of filling in single boxes in mostly-done rows. The fun is learning the logic behind solving them!
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Love it!

I used to work on it everyday in the paper, and couldn't get it, then after a few months, I started being able to finish them, I was hooked!

It's a great brain exercise, too!
  11. test23

test23 Member

12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Darned daughter got me started. She said it would be good for my brain and my crosswords weren't enough.

Once I completed one that was it. I love them. I'm gonna get fired if I don't stop doing them on line at work!!

I told my daughter I don't do numbers. She said it was a logic puzzle. I asked her when she had ever known me to be logical!

Since my Mom has Alzheimers I try to keep my brain working as much as possible. I think the puzzles really help!

13. Juloo

Juloo Member

Up from really easy to harder.

I finally finished a book of 150 easy to intermediate puzzles. I have a large-format book with all but the hardest level complete (although I've done a couple), but I didn't want to do the really hard ones right now.

The only other book I have is a small paperback with about two dozen of five levels each. The PROBLEM is, it wasn't properly proofed before it went to print. I have found three misprints so far. It's really maddening because I think I'm going along just fine, and I get *almost* to the end, and then I think I've messed up.

So I'm training myself to cross-check with the solutions section first to make sure that the numbers already in the puzzle at the beginning are the numbers that are supposed to be there.

I guess the big clue should have been the puzzle I turned to that had a '0' printed in one of the squares!

[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2008]