Sue....Nacho Sue? Surgery on Mandible!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cactuslil, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Well I had a tooth abcess on my l.mandible and it was removed; my dear doc had to take the one next to it because all the nerves and blaze'blaze' were wrapped all up in the mandible on the opposite side as the subject tooth!

As we fibromites know, local anesthesia rarely works and my doc truely got this "bast..." out as a favor as I was in great discomfort....she promptly referred me to my doc and a surgeon. The tooth just happened to be the one my bridge affixed to and the four teeth on the other side were in the process of absessing and having dental carries to boot!

Being formerly on relatively high doses of Pred...thank heavens I voluntarily reduced it over the last year to 5 mgs. but we were just cruising on the diabetes until the reduction in steroids stabilized as I may not have had diabetes but for the steroids. Lordy!

So to qualify for the bone reconstruction and titanium pins for a prosthesis, I must have my doc submit that I have no adrenal insufficiency that is not under control; no diabetes sufficient to prevent healing and the ability to convalese (sp) long enough for healing to complete..could be up to six months.

Everything was going great until last week I got my first earache; except it wasn't an earache it was TMJ out of the blue! It is responding to Mobic and guess what!! I hiccupped earlier in this week and my hearing restored like it was 15 years ago! Twilight Zone! It was temporary; then yesterday I lifted a grocery bag that was heavy and the ear opened again! This time it has stayed semi-normal. It hasn't been this able (to hear) in a couple of years.

I called the doc today and he has me coming in Tuesday for the referral to the surgeon; he has spoken w/Iris Korus, the dentist doing the prosthesis about the general anesthesia and the need for antibiotics et al. so maybe with a song and much prayer, I may save my jaw.

I want to please warn you good folks that with fibro and diabetes you can get serious probs like mine. I was unaware of such so took no precautions. If I cannot qualify for this procedure, and I have to have enough bone for the pin to go so far down, and we know some bone restructure will be necessary, I will have a condition where there is disfigurement, no vocal ability and a feeding tube. I almost waited too late and I'm not out of the woods yet but things look good.

Have a nice weekend. I see blue skies, sunshine, but its a tad nippy. Gorgeous time here in Texas. Love Lil'
  2. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Well I had a tooth abcess on my l.mandible and it was removed; my dear doc had to take the one next to it because all the nerves and blaze'blaze' were wrapped all up in the mandible on the opposite side as the subject tooth!

As we fibromites know, local anesthesia rarely works and my doc truely got this "bast..." out as a favor as I was in great discomfort....she promptly referred me to my doc and a surgeon. The tooth just happened to be the one my bridge affixed to and the four teeth on the other side were in the process of absessing and having dental carries to boot!

Being formerly on relatively high doses of Pred...thank heavens I voluntarily reduced it over the last year to 5 mgs. but we were just cruising on the diabetes until the reduction in steroids stabilized as I may not have had diabetes but for the steroids. Lordy!

So to qualify for the bone reconstruction and titanium pins for a prosthesis, I must have my doc submit that I have no adrenal insufficiency that is not under control; no diabetes sufficient to prevent healing and the ability to convalese (sp) long enough for healing to complete..could be up to six months.

Everything was going great until last week I got my first earache; except it wasn't an earache it was TMJ out of the blue! It is responding to Mobic and guess what!! I hiccupped earlier in this week and my hearing restored like it was 15 years ago! Twilight Zone! It was temporary; then yesterday I lifted a grocery bag that was heavy and the ear opened again! This time it has stayed semi-normal. It hasn't been this able (to hear) in a couple of years.

I called the doc today and he has me coming in Tuesday for the referral to the surgeon; he has spoken w/Iris Korus, the dentist doing the prosthesis about the general anesthesia and the need for antibiotics et al. so maybe with a song and much prayer, I may save my jaw.

I want to please warn you good folks that with fibro and diabetes you can get serious probs like mine. I was unaware of such so took no precautions. If I cannot qualify for this procedure, and I have to have enough bone for the pin to go so far down, and we know some bone restructure will be necessary, I will have a condition where there is disfigurement, no vocal ability and a feeding tube. I almost waited too late and I'm not out of the woods yet but things look good.

Have a nice weekend. I see blue skies, sunshine, but its a tad nippy. Gorgeous time here in Texas. Love Lil'
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Make sure, which If you are NYSue, I have no doubts, your doc knows you have FMS and there is to be NO epinephrine in your local anes. We can be briefly localized but most dental anest. have adrenelin (sp-eek) already in them; but they also have on hand locals (long story why) that do not contain the ephinephrine. The "e" is used as most normals do not need their mouth to be deadened out as long as it would be w/out it.

So far my readings on the diab. are controllable by diet; I adjust if it is too low and pray if it is too high that it does not reach over 235. Praise be that I chose to get down to 5mg. on the Pred or there would be a hang-up deluxe. The criteria are clear on who is a candidate for the mandibular restructure and titanium pin and who is not!

I have an appt. Tuesday that will tell the tale; hopefully my doc will ship me to the surgeon, let Iris) my dentist and dear friend, begin the prosthesis. She, the dentist, has done this exact procedure on another fibromite from across the State so she knows the lingo to get the ins. to pay; if not and I qualify for the procedure, I will be seeking a medical loan.

I know your're saying your prayers for me! Love Cactus.