sue & others, nonchemical insect repellant?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stillafreemind, Apr 21, 2003.

1. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Hi, Shoot..I just pulled the first tic off my head. I HATE those things. I live in Iowa...so it is definitely part of life here and living in the country and having animals..well, sure ups the odds.

I do not get along with chemicals..period. So I was wondering what do you use to repel insects? I also got bit on the ankle last year..spider, flare from hell followed that. Any ideas on how to protect ones self? I have to be out there..I have a garden and flower beds to take care of too.

Sure hoping I get some good ideas from you all...thanks a heap! ..Sherry
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2003]
  2. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Just thought I would share with you what I've been using. It seems to be difficult to find a natural insect repellant that works without being greasy or too strong an odor/fragrance. I currently am using Cactus Juice, Burt’s Bees Insect Repellant, and Tropical Traditions Insect Repellant. They are all lotions - I'd love to find a natural spray. The Cactus Juice (made from prickly pear cactus) is non-greasy, but doesn’t work as well as the other two – probably because it doesn’t have the oily film. The Tropical Traditions has coconut oil, citronella, lemongrass, catnip, peppermint and tansy, and the Burt’s Bee’s has rosemary, lemongrass, cedar, clove, peppermint, and geranium oils in it. I prefer the Tropical Traditions brand because the scent is not overpowering compared to the Burt’s Bees. If I’m having a bad day the scent of the Burt’s Bees is way too strong and I end up dizzy from it.

Here in Central Florida I can’t work outside for more than five minutes without being eaten alive by mosquitoes! We also have lots of ticks. The oilier repellants work good, but then I have to save energy to take a quick bath when I get back inside the house because the oil just attracts the dirt and sand. :) So, sometimes I wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt if I can’t muster up enough energy to slather on the repellant and then bathe afterwards. :)

Happy gardening.

Love,
    Sharon

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I can sympathize with this! I hate all that Deet stuff, won't go near it any more. For some reason, ever since fibro, I seem to be much less attractive to mosquitoes than I ever used to be, don't have any idea why. A couple of years I went on vacation in Central America & went on a hike in the jungle----wall to wall mosquitoes, of course, thicker than I've ever seen before. My daughter & husband were eaten alive, I emerged without a single bite (we were all wearing the same repellant). We had all been taking anti-malaria drugs preventatively; if I go again, I will probably skip that because I didn't have a single bite the whole trip. Years ago, I always got them.

My sister likes that Avon Skin-So-Soft product; I've never used it, though, & if it has a fragrance, it would probably be taboo for a lot of allergic folks here anyway....

Hope you find something that works but doesn't bother you.....

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

You all gave me such good ideas. I will have to scouting around at the health food stores and pick some of these up.

I know I am not that sweet..and I know I do not smell that good!LOL!! But some of these little buggers really seem attracted to me.

Hope you are all having a great day, I just mowed for an hour and a half. It is such a nice day today. It is so hard to try and gauge when to stop and rest and when to keep going.
    ...Sherry
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Plant lots of marigolds...in gardens...natural insect deterent.

Here in Texas, in the hill country, we use sulpher as a deterent, sprinkled around our socks and lower pant legs...to fend off chiggers and ticks, of which we have plenty.