Suffocating Feeling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Atlanta8, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

I've been getting this more and more recently - it's mainly at night when I'm trying to get to sleep. It feels like I can't get my breath, and no matter how much I breathe I'm not getting enough oxygen. I'm not out of breath though, if that makes sense (ie I'm not panting or really gasping for breath, but it does feel like I'm struggling to breathe)

Is there anything I can do to help this, or would my doc be able to help? It's a horrible feeling and I don't want it getting worse!

2. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i know this feeling. I get it out of the blue and it is unrelated to exercise or panic attacks or asthma. Its like I have to consciously breath deeply because i feel like im not getting enough oxygen. Labored breathing may not be the best way to explain it but definitely feel like it's a task.
    the ONLY this that even remotely helps is to tell myself i AM getting enough oxygen. Eventually it waxes and wanes just like many many other symptoms do.

Just know you are not the only one.

3. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I have asthma but it is very well controlled but sometimes I get what has been described as air hunger. It's not the asthma but it is very alarming. The more I think about it the worse it gets, so I assume there is some panic factor to it.

However, I will wake myself up and feel like I have been holding my breath and have to wake up to breathe.
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

for me it comes from tight muscles in the chest and back i can sometimes get it to release by rubbing my chest muscles
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

I get it in middle of day usually and it means I need to lie down, that I should have lied down like an hour earlier before it happens, cus once it happens I will suffer for awhile til it passes....the only things I have found that help are proactively lying down and using opiates or benzodiazepines, but right now I am taking a break from most meds and trying to find out other ways to deal with it. In my case I think it is diastolic dysfunction, hole in heart, but unfortunately most cardiologists and docs don't look for it in cfs/fm people nor know how to treat it according to dr cheney.