Sugar cravings & exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi to you all,
    Ive always had sugar cravings just before during & after my period & us ladies know what thats like.
    Ive really cut down on my sugar intake in a big way,idoing exercises from a sheet a nurse who runs the Fibro clinic gave me when i was at my last pain clinic apt.
    I feel better for exercising & its really hard sometimes & i dont want to do them but i keep going.
    Its hard to eat fruit when you crave chocolate but i do it & now & then i give myself a treat.
    Has anyone any advice on this as id really appreciate it.
    Soft hugs ((((((((((((((((((((((
    sharon dawber(UK)
  2. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am trying to cut back on the sugar too. I finally have decided that I do better if, when I get a craving..I go ahead and eat a small amount of sugar/chocolate and go on.

I know thats cheating, but if I do not do it this way..the craving gets so intense..I finally break down anyway .. and then I eat waaaay to much of it. Does that make sense Sharon?

I have found that more fruit and especially ALOT of water(sometimes with lemon) really does curb my craving for sugary and chocolate things.

Hope this helps a bit. Just know you are not alone. I am battling with pms this week myself. It seems like between cramps, water retention, mood swings, my actual period, etc. .. I have about four decent days a month! LOL!! This too shall pass friend..right? ...Sherry
  3. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

You probably won't like this advice, but cutting out sugar completely will halt those cravings. I have been sugar free for a long time now, and I can tell you that the craving for sweet things goes away very quickly...but only if you don't "cheat". It really is addictive. I LOVE fruit now, it's the best taste in the world and don't even want "sweeter" things. The health benefits are many!
    Madelyn
  4. GYPSYQUEEN

GYPSYQUEEN New Member

Hi Sharon,

I understand your problem, I've always loved chocolate, ice cream and all sweet goodes. It never had any effect on me until I was dignosed with FMS. Now it's a BIG problem.
    I've tried to cut down but it's almost impossible. My very poor solution is to eat hard candy when I have a sweet craving. It's not the perfect solution but it takes longer to eat hard candy than it does to eat cookies or cake. It's a thought.
    Hope this helps. Eileen
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Is the cause of the increased sugar cravings in fibro. This neurotransmitter signals the brain that you are full when you eat carbohydrates. If it's low, you don't get the message, and you eat too many carbs. You are right, the cravings can be overwhelming. Try taking 5-HTP at bedtime. Also, eat foods that will raise your serotonin level like walnuts, bananas, sweet potato. avocado, plums, asparagus, turkey, and milk. I would also advise adding Whey, to be taken right after you exercise. Make sure you get one with high levels of Branch chain amino acids in it, that way you get lots of tyrosine to raise your energy, and L-tryptophan to raise your serotonin. Do NOT take 5-HTP if you are still on SSRI's...they need to be tapered off before you go the natural route.
    Also, most of us do better with a high protein diet. If you eat enough protein, often enough, you will not crave carbs so much and can cut them way, way down. The poster who said that NO sugar is easier than a little bit is correct, IMO. It takes about a month of "withdrawl" before you get to that point, but it's worth it if you can stick to it.
    Magnesium supplementation is essential at bedtime for Fibro patients. Working up to at least 350 mgs. daily will help curb chocolate cravings.
    If you are peri-menopausal, natural hormone supplementation may also help with this whole problem.
    I empathize!
    Klutzo
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

In what form do you eat whey? I was drinking Whey-to-Go in milk, but stopped. Is there another form you can get it in? Thanks.

Annette2
  7. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

Sharon,

I'm not big on supplements so I was surprised when a naturopath I have been using had me try Inositol. I was offered a small spoonful of the powder. She asked me how it tasted: chalky, sweet, or very sweet. My response, very sweet, indictated that I had a deficiency of the stuff. Then she looked at a recent blood test. My blood sugar was 86 which is not abnormal but certainly lower than normal. She then proceeded to recommend the following supplements:
    --Alpha Lipoic Acid (breakfast, lunch)
    --Chromium (breakfast, lunch)
    --Inositol (breakfast, afternoon snack)

Since then, my cravings for sugar have gone down subtantially. This is just one person's experience. Yours may be different.... Congrats on keeping on an exercise program. Regular exercise, when possible, may be the best way to crave the right stuff.

Paul (not a woman)
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Annette - I use Jarrow Whey Protein, vanilla flavor, mixed in 8 oz. of water immediately after I finish my exercise routine. A blender would mix it better, but I don't really care, since I just chug it down anyway.

Paula - Inositol is a great supplement and most good B-complex vitamin supps. will have it in them.
    I just want to say that a fasting blood sugar (FBS) of 86 is very GOOD and you should not try to change it. In fact, in Naturopathy, the ideal FBS is 87. Most Americans eat WAY too many carbohydrates, and that is why they have higher FBS results. Anyone whose FBS is over 100 is in trouble and should not wait for diabetes before cleaning up their diet.

Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2003]
  9. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

If you really must have chocolate (and sometimes we just HAVE to), there are some very tasty sugar-free chocolates out there. Carbolite, Russell Stovers, even Hershey makes sugar free now. The ingredient Splenda really makes the candy tastes just like the real thing.
  10. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I just started Atkin's Diet to curb carb cravings. It's working like a dream,,,,no sugar cravings. Can't say enough good things about it.

I should point out that I do not need to really lose any weight so I had to modify and add in 1 slice of whole grain bread and 1 serving of vegatables a day.

Tulip
  11. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi sherry what you say makes sense & ive been drinking soo much water its great.
    Im also eating a lot of fruit & when i get a craving i either eat some chocolate or get fruit.
    Ive lost lot of weight & am doing excercises from a sheet i got from 1 of nurses who works in Fibro clinic.I dont go it was my final pain clinic apt i asked her what exercises i could do & she posted me a sheet.
    Been buying new smaller pants today,good excuse to go shopping,got some great bargains in the charity shops go me!
    It should pass hopefully good luck girlfrend very gentle hugs ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((.
    Take care sharon d
  12. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Madelyn,
    You"re right you know since ive been eating more fruit & drinking loads of water ive lost weight & feel so much fitter & healthier.
    Thanks soo much soft hugs (((((((((((((((((((((.
    Take care sharon d
  13. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Eileen,
    Yes it does help a lot so thanks for that.
    I do stil eat chocolate but nowhere near as much as before ive really cut down bigtime.
    I eat a lot more fruit now & drink loads of water & really do feel much better for it.
    Hugs ((((((((((((((((( take care sharon d
  14. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi klutzo,
    Thanks for your input ill try the things us suggested & see what happens.
    Hugs (((((((((((((((((((( take care sharon d
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Thanks paul,
    I do appreciate your input .
    sharon d
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

taking L-glutamine 500--1500 mg / day can also help you get started; it really does help lessen and/or take away sugar cravings.

Good luck, Victoria
  17. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

For that i"ll certainly give it a try.
    Hugs (((((((((((((((((((((((( sharon d
  18. janet38

janet38 New Member

sharon can you give me some tips on a diet.how did you loose your weight?i have put alot if weight because of my meds.........hugs
  19. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Sharon,
    I'm so glad it's working for you! Great to hear that you feel better!
    Mad
  20. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Jan,
    Well I stopped eating choccie which i love & used to eat a lot of when my period was due,ive really cut down.
    I also stopped eating biscuits & crisps & eat loads of fruit & drank loads of water & exercised most days.
    I do sit ups,leg stretches,leg raises etc & i keep a diary of how much walking i do,it"s worked for me i really hope ot works for you too,soft hugs & goos luck!
    sharon d