sugar fiend - stole my little brother's chocolates

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My sugar cravings are tremendous. After I get a good sugar hit, I can go one or two days without it, but then the craving returns. I thought it was the candida, but the FFC said my candida levels are okay. What is it?

Today the craving was so bad that I searched my brother's room top to bottom looking for some sugar. Last time I had something sweet was two days ago, when I ate a killogram of honey over the weekend. I found some leftover chocolates under his bed, and a ziplock bag of some half-eaten cookies.

I'm sure there's something physical going on with me, but psychological too. Eating food that I used to have before the intollerances and candida diet comforts me. It's like having my mom back with me, and being part of the "normal" world I had before this illness struck. I do it out of frustration, loneliness, whatever. When I was having hard times before, I always threw myself into my cooking as an escape from everything. I used to say that I'm always either watching the food channel, cooking, or thinking about what to cook. Now with all these diet restrictions, that part of my life is gone. I'm seeing my counsellor on Wednesday, and we'll talk about it. I want to stop eating this way, because I know it's hurting my health, but then I don't want to stop, because being housebound and mostly incapacitated, food is one of the only nice things that I have.

I try to tell myself that the chocolates are no big deal, because the only ones left on the box are the ones my brother doesn't really like, but searching his bedroom?! I wanted to walk to the corner store to buy some candy, but I'm not physically able to walk that far, and I won't ask anyone to buy that stuff for me, because then they would be helping me to hurt myself.

Please pray for me and hope I get a handle on this.
    ((((hugs))))) Shannon
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

My understanding is that its the candida that's craving the sugar. So just think of it like this: When you have a piece of chocolate or anything with sugar, you're feeding the candida.

I love chocolate too but only eat the sugar-free -- maybe one or two pieces. Some brands are better than others.

Sorry,

Sandy
  3. millennia

millennia New Member

I used to have the most unbelievable sugar cravings, I was like a drug addict. I would fiend for sugar and feel sick if I didn't get any. I ate candy every day. A few weeks ago, someone one the board suggested calcium pyruvate for energy. I started taking it and it seemed to help. But after a week or so, I forgot to take it one night. That night I bignged on candy and sweets. Then I realized I had gone like a week without eating candy and didn't even realize it. I still can't resist it if it is in front of me, but I don't go looking for it anymore. And I've lost 6 pounds!
  4. Shannonsparkles

That's great! Yeah, it is like an addiction. So, how much calcium pyruvate do you take? I can't get it here in Canada, but I could order it over the internet. I've been wanting to try it for a while now.

Thanks for sharing something that helps. (( )) Shannon
  5. Shannonsparkles

If I'm feeling pretty okay, I don't think about sugar so much. But on a sicker day or stressful week it's like a cascade effect... something makes me sicker, I crave sweets, I eat bad stuff and get still sicker... takes a really long time to climb out of this and get stable again. And the last two months I haven't been able to stop the sugar alltogether. Back when sweets made me terribly ill it was easier to steer away from it, but now that my body is stronger, it can handle more junk, so harder to stop.

Are there any other suppliments that have helped people get over sugar cravings? Thank you. (( ))
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

the red faced shame :( my little brother made an easter nest with cadburys mini eggs inside,he bought it home from school and put it safe in the fridge, i left it a week and every time i walked in the kitchen i wanted them :(
    i was alone and ate them.
    this was nearly 10 years ago and i still feel guilty. all i have in my defence is that i was pregnant and the baby wanted them ????? maybe ??
  7. millennia

millennia New Member

I take 2 1000mg of Calcium Pyruvate first thing in the morning and 2 at about 4pm. It totally kills my sugar cravings. I used to have cake for breakfast, candy every afternoon and dessert every night. Now if people aren't forcing it on me (which happens around the holidays) I don't really want sugar.
  8. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

And when I eat too much of it I pay dearly with pain, pain, pain. A few weeks ago I was alone for the evening, went out to pick up a few groceries, and decided to pick up some Krispy Kreme donut holes. (For those who aren't familiar with KK, they are completely SUGAR and melt in your mouth!! Yum!!) Anyway, I ate the entire bag of donut holes (so much better than eating the whole donuts, though, right???) and within an hour of finishing them I hurt so bad I thought I was going to die. I just laid on the couch crying, I couldn't move at all, and I was convinced I was dying. It wasn't until I had been in agony for a couple of hours that the "lightbulb" went on and I realized that my sugar overdose was the culprit and had caused me so much pain.

I haven't had a sugar fix like that since, I definitely learned my lesson. I do still have AWFUl sugar cravings, though, and I eat a bit here and there even though I know I will hurt a bit more than usual when I do. Christmas chocolates were VERY hard to resist so I had my fair share of them. I always hate myself so bad after I get into one of my "sugar frenzies" and HAVE to find something sweet!!! Such guilt, not only because of the pain it causes me physically, but because I need to lose about 45 pounds and I'm just making it worse. I HATE the way I look and feel, and I would do anything to make these sugar cravings go away.

I have some Calcium Pyruvate here at the house and will start that up again. I took it originally to help with pain, but after a day or two it stopped helping the pain and I gave up after a month or so. I didn't notice it helping the sugar cravings back then, but I wasn't really looking for that, and I wasn't taking as much as I should have I think. I'm going to start that again today. I'd love to lose a few pounds ... okay, I'd love to lose a LOT of pounds ... but even a few would make me feel so much better about myself.

You're definitely not alone, Shannon. Many of us fight the "chocolate demon"!!!!! Hang in there!

Kat
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Many of us with FMS/CFS also appear to have hypoglycemia including me :-( . It can be controlled with a strict low carb diet. It is an insulin related disturbance that makes us constantly crave simple carbohydrates.I understand that it can lead to diabetes if left untreated.

Chronic symptoms of hypoglycemia:

Fatigue,insomnia
    Nervousness, depression, irritability
    Dizziness, faintness
    Blurring of vision
    Ringing ears
    Gas, abdominal cramps, diarrhea
    Bi-temporal or frontal headaches
    Impaired memory and concentration
    Flushing, sweating
    Numbness,tingling of hands, feet,face

Acute symptoms of hypoglycemia:

Heart pounding
    Palpitations & heart irregularities
    Panic attacks
    Nightmares & sleep disturbance
    Faintness
    Acute anxiety
    Hand or inner shaking
    Sweating
    Frontal headache or pressue

10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i was reading the list thinking yup yup yup.
    although many of the symptoms were akin to fm and me i will look into that some more.
    thankyou for posting :)