Sugar the numer 1 killer for ME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silky17, Aug 22, 2005.

1. silky17

silky17 New Member

What is everyones oppinion on the ingesting of sugar on a daily bases? I am so stuck in a rut that I can't dig my way up out of the C&H bag.Hahahah
    No seriously .when I was a child we pretty much lived on sugar and mayo sandwiches. We made donuts out of biscuits in the can. Of course we sprinkled sugar on top those. We would drink Pepsis by the tuns, Welll ..........to this day I can't go to sleep without a sweet treat. I even get up in the middle of the night and made cinnamon toast last night. This morning I woke up with a horrible migraine headache. I have tried everything. You think this was the cause?

Needless to say being home for 6 months has taken a toll on me. I think I am going to have to move the furniture to account for my fat derrier.
    If anyone has a success story about yourself please, help me. I know that there is an underlying problem going on in my head but can't seem to find out why am I doing this. Besides being scared to death to exercise.

Please take time guys what have you done to take care of the horrible cravings I have gotten?

2. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

but even more with anything made of white flour - and for those things that are loaded with both - just watch out! They make me hurt more and swell up, and I get headaches, and if I start eating them I don't want to stop.

While I've heard of many people who just decide to "stop eating sugar", you also get a horrible withdrawal from that. I find that eating fruits instead of prepared sweet things helps me taper off, but while a person is tapering off, they also need to make sure they're getting plenty of protein, and having some complex carbohydrates (brown rice, whole grains, etc) to keep their energy up.
  3. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I also crave sugar especially since taking Elavil.

Candida also makes you crave it.

I know I feel better when I avoid it but unfortunately we all crave for what we shouldnt have.

Mary
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Girl the onl;y way to go is cold turkey. I was just like you! You know how they tell you just have one hershey kiss of a small treat?? Yeah right! I would just eat the cookie dough and bypass the baking process alltogether! Ha.

I started the Candida diet and it was incredibly hard to deal with the sugar aspect. I am not very disciplined and a southern girl bring on the bannana pudding and the peach cobbler.

I will tell you that if you can go 2-3 weeks the cravings will go away. You cannot substitute splenda products or sugar free sweet products either. Only eat high fiber fruits that are not to sweet. The only sweetner I use now I a little stevia. I sprinkle it on a grapefruit or swirl a little into plain yogurt with two chopped up strawberries.

It has been 30 weeks for me with no sugar now. I had one bite of a friends cake at a birthday and it tatsed sickenly sweet. I am having a harder time with the yeast aspect of the diet now.

I would never have done this if I wasn't so desparate to feel better. It was HARD!!!! Don't ask me how I did it. I have to say not eating sugar is no big deal now. If you can just get off of it I promise in three weeks you will not miss it. Good Luck and know that I feel your pain! Lynn
  5. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Chocolate is my number one problem. I love it!!!

After a couple of weeks of NOT eating sweets the cravings almost go away. Its nothing like in the beginning.

I have to have a plan to do something like this. Eating low-carb (good carbs like fruit and veggies) has helped me tremendously with the cravings. Also, eating smaller portions of fattier foods.

Another good way to track your eating is, get a notepad, write down everything you put in your mouth each day. It helps to see it on paper.

I too have Candida yeast problems and I think that is where the cravings come from. Everytime I would put a piece of chocolate in my mouth, I'd think to myself: Well, I'm feeding the yeast in my gut! Not a great thought.

Of course, we all eat for different reasons -- boredom, when we're feeling bad about ourselves, etc. Ask yourself, why do I want this, am I bored? or sad? or is this a habit (watching t.v.)? or is it comfort food from my childhood?

I use Stevia for my sweet taste in coffee (one cup) and like Lynn, on grapefruit.

Its a whole new mindset to begin to eat this way. You HAVE to throw out stuff in the house (at least I do) or during tempting times, you'll eat it.

Be strong: Many people have done it! Feeling good is such a bonus and the weight loss is great too!

Sandy
    p.s. Exercise will give you the "natural high" from endorphins similar to the feeling we get with sweets.

6. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I've been careful about watching my weight my whole life. Now that I'm unable to exercise, I have to be especially vigilant! One good tip to ward off a sugar or chocolate craving: brush your teeth and floss. Then rinse with mouthwash. You will find your craving is gone! If you can't motivate yourself to get rid of the craving, try a hard chocolate or caramel candy. It takes a long time to eat, and may just be enough to satisfy the craving.

Good Luck!
  7. silky17

silky17 New Member

Lots of great ideas. I still have the throbbing headache though. Its been going on three days. I am about to go nuts.

I am going to try and get off the sweets as soon as I can put some more food in the house.

I am up for it.

Thanks,
    Silky
  8. silky17

silky17 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, one question is what is Stevia made from? Is it yet another chemically processed sweetner? I am so leary of all the ones they make nowadays.

Have a great one. :)
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Stevia is an herb. You can get it at GNC or even grow it yourself! Lynn
  10. thomasina

thomasina New Member

I have learned the good old fashioned hard way. Too much of it. I've cut back a lot now that I'm slowly figuring things out....slowly

thommie
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Some other sweeteners that won't feed candida are pure vegetable glycerine and xylitol. They're in the health food store. They're considered natural sweeteners, and they don't have the 'funny taste' that stevia can have (to me anyway). The glycerine is nice in yogurt because it's a syrup so it mixes in easily. Xylitol looks and cooks like sugar, and tastes the same - be cautious with xylitol at first, because it can be laxative.

If you do this diet... expect to slip up in the beginning - just keep comming back to it and trying. The cravings will ease up with time. Get a few good candida cookbooks to help you, and get all the other information you can. Many people get leaner with this diet.

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2005]