Sugars... Organic? Brown vs. white? cane sugar?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jane32, Mar 2, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

I just started my Leap diet and I can add cane sugar back in in a few months. But what is the difference between all of these sugars? Are they all bad for us? I see everyone talk about white sugar is that the same as cane sugar? I miss my sugar already and it has only been two days! I am allowed to have fruit though-pears, mangos, apples and plums thank goodness but I miss my junk food!

Thanks!
  2. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I don't use alot of sugars (juvenile diabetes), but I like turbinado, it's just regular cane sugar, but not as processed and has more minerals.

Mostly the difference is how they are processed and the less processed the better. Plain old white sugar is highly processed and bleached. Date sugar, from what I remember gets bitter in hot drinks. I don't use it anymore.

Honey is great to use (raw and unpasturized) and has antiviral and antimicrobial properties. You can use it in baking too. Molassess is great for baking and it has alot of minerals too.

Hope this helps,

skierchik
  3. Inishfree

Inishfree New Member

All sugar breaks down the same way. Brown sugar has more mollasses in it making it appear less processed but your body process it the same and just as fast.

I don't like Splenda. Some CFS have not found it that great but stevia is probably the best.

Just to let you know...your body can't tell the difference between a white potatoe and a bar of candy.

I am a LOVER of sugar but I know in my heart that SUGAR is a contributor to FMS and pain....WINE, CANDY, WHITE PASTA...I love these but too much will work havoc on your system.
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

I don't think I really have a problem with sugar but I did have to eliminate some of it b/c I know that amount I was eating can not be good for you. I have desserts for all three meals and cookies and cake in between! Now that I am on this new program they eliminate it for the first couple months then I can have it again but I think it was good for me to stop cold turkey since I had it all the time. I was just cuirous if one is better then the other but you are probably right it all breaks down the same. I did buy stevia but have yet to try it.
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I use Stevia most of the time. Ocasionally sugars slips in. I do drink wine sometimes and will take one bite of a dessert if someone orders it. I actually like Stevia and it works for me. Lynn
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

In my opinion, sugar is sugar, no matter how you sprinkle it. I eliminated sugar additives of all kinds from my diet 3 years ago during cancer treatment (cancer loves sugar). I have since eliminated even honey and maple syrup, and have cut way back on fruits, due to candida.

Years ago, I used to experience sugar highs and lows, therefore craving more of it. Believe it or not, I no longer crave sugar.

I do enjoy apples, pears, and berries in moderation while going through candida treatment. These fruits are considered permitted due to their lower sugar content, and higher fiber. After all, fruits are generally good for us (in moderation). Sugar additives are not.

I know that making dietary changes can be a challenge, but can also be freeing, and make us feel a lot better. I really love my healthy diet, it makes me very happy.

Hope this article excerpt will help you. By the way, what is the Leap diet, and why are you on it?

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4

"You can satisfy your sweet tooth with some help from Mother Nature - healthy sugar substitutes and analysis of sugar and substitutes"
    Better Nutrition, Feb, 2001 by Lisa Turner

WHAT'S WRONG WITH WHITE SUGAR?

Some say it's "natural," since it's derived from the sugar cane plant. But calling this refined white stuff "natural" is sugarcoating the facts. In modern sugar cane farming, chemical fertilizers and pesticides are used to grow the sugar cane plants.

The mature sugar cane is harvested and sent to refining factories, where the cane's vitamins, minerals and other nutrients are separated from the sucrose. After further refining, the cane juice is dried, processed into crystals and bleached to remove its naturally dark color.

Refined white sugar has been linked to dental cavities, increased cholesterol levels, heart disease, hypoglycemia, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and nutritional deficiencies.

Additionally, white sugar can create dramatic fluctuations in blood sugar which, over time, can wear down both the pancreas and the adrenal glands. And because it provides no nutrition, most dietitians agree that white sugar has no legitimate place in a healthy diet.

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: THE NATURAL ALTERNATIVES

Any refined sweetener, whether it's white sugar, honey or another variation, is broken down by the body into glucose, and is associated with the same problems, like weight gain and cavities.

Even so, natural sweeteners have their advantages. Most are less refined than white sugar, have a slightly higher nutritional value, and tend to be broken down more slowly in the body, creating less impact on blood sugar. Following are some sweet substitutes to try:

--Agave nectar. This liquid sweetener comes in light and dark varieties, and is a good substitute for corn syrup.

--Brown rice syrup. Brown rice syrup has a mildly sweet, delicate flavor and is processed by the body more slowly than white sugar.

--Date sugar. Made from ground dates, this pale brown sweetener makes an excellent substitute for brown sugar.

--Evaporated cane juice. Also called "milled cane" or "unrefined cane juice," this less-processed version of white sugar contains some vitamins and minerals, is unbleached and is available in organic versions.

--Fructose. This is available in both powdered and liquid versions. Fructose, which is plant sugar, releases glucose into the bloodstream more slowly than white sugar and this makes it more suitable for diabetics.

--Fruit juice concentrate. Made from apples, grapes, peaches, pears, pineapples, berries or other fruit, these sweeteners have the consistency of thick syrup and an intense flavor.

--Honey. Clover is the most common, but honey comes in dozens of varieties, depending on the flower that produces it. Look for raw, unpasteurized honey, which retains its beneficial enzymes and nutrients. Honey is also available powdered.

--Maple syrup. Nearly twice as sweet as white sugar, maple syrup adds rich flavor and trace minerals to nearly any recipe. Maple sugar is made by evaporating the liquid from maple syrup.

--Molasses. Molasses contains the nutrients extracted from sugar cane and sugar beets. Blackstrap molasses, from the bottom of the processing vats, is thick, dark and high in nutrients.

--Turbinado. Made from the initial pressing of the cane, turbinado contains molasses and has a sweet, rich flavor and blond color.

THE SWEETEST ADVICE?

Use "natural" sugar substitutes like honey and maple syrup in moderation, or stick to fruit to soothe your sweet tooth -- it's high in nutrients, phytochemicals and fiber, and is broken down more slowly than any kind of refined sugar.

Some ideas: puree frozen berries with unsweetened rice milk for a fast breakfast smoothie, stew pears and currants in apple juice and cinnamon for a simple dessert, freeze bananas for a cooling summer snack, munch on grapes instead of candy. And try the recipes below to soothe even the most persistent sweet tooth.

7. jane32

jane32 New Member

is not a diet to lose weight it is an a food sensitivity diet. Basically, and elimiation diet. I was tested at the FFC for it via a blood test. It shows you the foods that you are least sensitive to then it breaks it down into 5 phases over the course of 6 months. There are also red foods which you can never have. I posted about it maybe a month ago. Mine included bananas, Lentil and lettuce all of which I eat a ton of it but the leap shows that my body is fighting against them. It is different then an allergy test. Once I add new things back in I see if I have a reaction to them-bloating, fatigue etc. The frst week is the hardest I can only have Spelt and Kamut products, salmon, pear, mango,plum and eggs and cows milk but but week I can have wheat again. Well hopefully next week the nurse told me that I would get sick first from the detox and then I can begin to add things back in once I get past that part. I have candida too but I can't follow both diets it would be way too restrictive.
  8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Wow...How long have you been how the Leap diet??

Are you noticing any changes??? Are you finding things you are senstivie to..

I have really been watching what I eat...Mostly doing the yeast thing..I have been doing it now since Dec..I am starting to notice things that I have a problem with..Corn is one of them..I never knew it..

hopeful4 ..thanks for the list on the sugars..very informative..

Good luck to you on this diet...I posted on your detox thread you have going..I too went through some of the simaliar things you have when I stopped eating sugar..

Take Care...
  9. redtex

redtex New Member

i use stevia . its an herb and tastes great,much better than the toxic sugar substitutes. all regular sugar is about the same. have a sweet nite!
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

Can you have Stevia or no?

I am a little confused.
  11. happyhealthy7

happyhealthy7 New Member

Stevia is actually very good for you and has been used in Paraguay for over 1500 years without any side affects. It is also used in South America as treatment for diabetes b/c it helps to balance blood glucose levels in the body. It is naturally very sweet and can be used in place of sugar in any recipe. I am linking a conversion chart so you kow how much stevia to use in place of sugar...that is always the most frequently asked question.

http://www.sweetleaf.com/community/recipes/equivalencies_stevia.htm

I am also posting my fav recipe....this is so good it tastes exactly like chocolate cake batter and chocolate mouse!
    Cocoa Almond Pudding

This makes a delicious pie filling for pie crust in the raw, or layered with fruit for fruit parfait, or served frozen as almond sorbet.

6 oz. coconut cream
    1 cup cocnut milk
    2-3 TB. almond butter
    6 large dates, pits removed and chopped
    2 TB. unroasted cocoa powder
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    pinch sea salt
    Stevia clear liquid to taste (I use the Sweetleaf Vanilla Creme liquid flavor stevia)

Blend all ingredients in a food processor untill creamy. Adjust sweetness to taste.

It may need more dates to thicken it up to get the right pudding consistency.....good luck.....you will never crave bad chocolate again after eating this!!!!!!
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

sounds great. Thanks for sharign but Coconut is on my bad list. I can not have it.

I talked to my dr. she said I can add it in and then wait a few days to see if I have a reaction. I plan on trying it tomorrow!!!

I will look up that site too.