Suggestions for alternatives to pain meds please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cherie23, Sep 27, 2006.

1. cherie23

cherie23 New Member

I have struggled with FM for about 16 years, I'm now only 28, and recently was very addicted to pain medication. I detoxed myself about 3 months ago and now am faced with the constant pain and no relief. The inner struggle to stay off the meds is constant because the pain is so severe.
    I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and how you deal with it now. Even if you haven't had the addiction issue if you have any ideas for alternative teatment I would greatly appreciate it.
    I have taken flexeril, prozac, elavil, paxil, cymbalta, ativan, ultram, darvocet, wellbutrin, xanax, valium and vicodin for the FM, none have been much if any help and offered no relief. I do not take any meds now I see no point and almost all can be highly addictive, I can't see taking that chance ever again.
    The FM is kicking my butt now and i get absolutely no relief. I do yoga, I go to the chiropractor, I completely changed my diet cutting almost all sugar and incorperated more grains and fruits and vegetables. I just don't know what else to do.I feel like just giving up, I would truly appreciate any help. [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  2. twerp

twerp New Member

I'm responding mainly to bump your message back up.

I have CFS, not FM, so do not deal with the pain issue as much as others here.

I have seen many posts on the benefits of cherry juice for pain relief.

Hopefully, someone with more info will respond.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  3. aubrygreen

aubrygreen New Member

you might try massage therapy or acupuncture.
  4. cherie23

cherie23 New Member

for the suggestions. do you know the benefits of cherry juice? do you know how it should be taken? I assume it's the concentrate form? Do you know the benefits of the magnesium as well?
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

This supplement helps w the muscle aches, it helps when I remember to take it regularly.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If you have problems with muscle pain, a good balanced magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement can really help.

I learned about it here on the board and it took my muscle pain from a 10 to a 2, but I rarely have muscle pain anymore.

Do some research, all of us are deficient in this mineral.

Hugs and good luck,

Nancy B
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I get high levels of pain with the cfs/me and have tried all sorts of things, even to the stage of anti-inflam suppositories - which did not work for me.

I take magnesium/calcium powder that really helps. It's called Endura here in Australia. I also take something called UltraMuscle Ease - it also contains magnesium/calcium. I have found that they help a lot.

I also take Trameel, a homeopathic that I found on this site. If you enter it in the SEARCH you can read up on earlier posts.

I also have to watch what I eat very carefully and have found that certain foods that other people have no problem with can really make me hurt, e.g., lemon juice. Have you considered a ELIMINATION DIET? It's a real pain to do and requires dedication, but it might help.

I have to avoid becoming too too tired.

Finally, I drink lots and lots of filtered water: There is a big debate re. bottled v. natural water. I have a water filter that I use. The lots of water help move the nasties around and get them out of your system faster.

I hope you find something. I am very glad that you were able to detox, even if you now have lots of pain. The pain killers you were taking were only masking the problem and they had all their own nasty side effects, as you well know. I hope you find something less harmful and more useful.
  8. cherie23

cherie23 New Member

all for your suggestions I will definantly look in to the magnesium/calcium and the point massage. thanks for being so positive sometimes that can be quite a challange.
  9. charlenef

charlenef New Member

juice pure and unsweetened is supposed to be 70%as effective as morphine. i know when i was taking it for about a month it was helping until my stomach went nuts.my stomach was very bad before but this made it worse . look it up on google. charlene
  10. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

Try O24 oil, it comes in a spray and in wet nap like wipes. It is oil and natural herbs and really helps get rid of some of the aches and pains.
  11. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I got the feeling from your post that you are in terrible pain and desperate. I know that feeling. I applaud you for getting off pain meds if you were addicted. I'm sure it was not an easy thing to do. Don't give up. You will find the thing that works for you. There have been good suggestions here. Keep in mind that sometimes supplements (at least in my experience)take a while to have any effect on your condition. So, you might need to be patient. I agree with Carla that you should use quality supplements. I like the ProHealth supplements I am taking.

Regarding the cherry juice, I think it would take a lot of cherry juice to get rid of the pain you are talking about. I have sucked on cherries and the juice has helped my sore throat, but does nothing for my muscle pain. If you are subject to having stomach ulcers or GERD, cherries should be avoided.

Try not to push yourself and try to avoid stress as both will make your pain worse.

Lolalee
  12. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

What do you mean when you say you were very addicted to your pain meds? Were you using them to get high or for your excruciating pain? Yes, you will become physically dependent, but if you are using them just for pain, I don't see your problem.
    Mini
  13. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Cherie, There have been several past threads on cherry juice and the pain relief it offers for some. Try performing a search on Cherries and it will pull up helpful post.

Most people benefit from consuming two tablespoons of tart cherry juice concentrate daily. The key is consistency.

Good Luck and I hope you find something to help.

carolin
  14. cherie23

cherie23 New Member

Well after about eight years of being on vicodin I understand the difference between pain control and addiction. I becam e addicted for about three months I stopped taking them in July. At some point, and I'm not sure where the line was crossed, I began to take them to kill emotional pain as well as physical and they took on a whole new meaning for me. My childrens father passed away and for me the medicine numbed me emotionally so I didn't have to feel that sadness when I took it. Thats when addiction came into my life and now I feel like I'm not as aware of the line that cannot be crossed.
    I feel fortunate to have been able to draw the line and not continue that behavior, but now I need to figure out how to survive without opiods, which is why I turned to this message board. People here seem to know and undterstand more than anyone, including Dr.'s that I have dealt with.
  15. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Researchers are starting to investigate this spice. Aka curry.
  16. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Cherie:

Sounds to me like your really in a tough place, yet I must say I admire you for being so open about your addiction. I think thats a huge step in the process even thdough you feel AWFUL. Are you using any supplements if your ina aconstant flare it sounds like your body may be deficient of many nutirients we with FMS/MPS need mmore of to maintain a more healthy system. First other than you DC, which by the way I think are great, are you utilizing a PCP or other doctor. If so run the ideas by him or her. I know that my Chiro is really quite up on FMS/MPS and using vitamins and herbal remedies. I know that for me a high complex B vitamin is essential I also use Vitamin E, Magnesium and malic acid, I think the dother posts mentioned malic acid helps with lactic acid and decreases the constant sore muscles. The magnesium helps the muslces to relax. Additional I use flax seed and drink herbal teas such as Valerian, lemon Balm, at night to help sleep. If you can try taking a lavender / sea salt bath for 20 minutes prior to bed this can also be helpful.

You mentioned Yoga, are you doing any mediatation inaddtion to it? I know the two help me. If you are really struggling to get sleep and are worried about addiction many of my clients after rehab used to use benadryl at night. It is not addictive... I would never approved of its use in people who are in recovery. It just might make you groggy in the morning. I have checked this out with several psychiatists that specialize in addiction medicine.

You also may want to talk with your DC and see if dyou have Myofascial pain trigger points, if so they can be worked out with a good LMT or your chiro is he is well aquainted with trigger point release techniques.

I hope this wasn't to much for you to take in.

let us know how you are making out and don't forget what difficulties and challenges you are in the process of overcoming. You in my opinion have come farther than you think.

Yours in wellness,

suz45
  17. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

these are the most often reported pain and fatigue helps:

Vit B 12 shots
    magnesium / malic acid
    fish oil - I use Carlson's lemon flavored which is supposed to be free of mercury . I take 1 tsp a day in juice
    guaifenisen - has worked for some
    Good supplement of B vitamins and calcium

PERSONALLY , I think trying a product called mangosteen juice ( best is supposed to be XANGO ) is really worth
    a shot . There have been some great reports on lymenet
    of folks who got relief with lyme pain and also arthritis , after a month's use or so . It is not cheap , but the many positive reports from actual sick people
    are impressive. Mangosteen juice has a far higher content of ant inflammatory chemicals , than even cherry juice or pomegranite .

Also , acupuncture has proven to be beneficial in pain for FM for many .

May I add this : get an Igenex Labs western blot test for lyme disease . There are soooooooooo many FM patients turning up with lyme disease all over the US . There are many who are members HERE , and many of them have NO memory of being near a tick ! If you do have lyme ( like me - a shock ) your pain will NOT IMPROVE without
    treating the infection. Igenex Labs has the only reliable lyme test .
  18. cherie23

cherie23 New Member

eveyone for all of your suggestions I'm already looking into them and will bring them up with my Dr. once I have all the info. I need. I'm learning that a lot of my treatment is up to me, so I truly appreciate all of you sharing the information you have.
  19. WhoKnowsWhy

WhoKnowsWhy New Member

I see somebody already suggested trying O24 Fibromyalgia.

I've used it for a long time with great success. A simple OTC all natural, oil based ointment that lasts for hours.

If you haven't tried it yet, you should.
  20. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I am so grateful to have found a doctor right away that does not believe in pain medications. I was diagnosed about a year ago. I was in horrible pain and exhausted most of the time. This is what I take:

Aleve 1 or 2 a day...I used to take 4
    Inflamax by Metagenics (powdered drink with vitamins)
    Bio Identical Hormones (Menopause) helps with sleep
    Vitamin D 1x a week 50,000 units
    Nexium
    Fish Oil (Brain Fog)
    2- 600 mg Guifenisen DM. (Make sure you take the DM) It works better than the regular.

At the Rheumy 1 x a month I get Frequency Specific Micro Current and Novacaine shots where ever it hurts...even for my sinusitis. I also get an IV with magnesium,VitC and B.

The best thing for pain is the Ionic Foot Bath followed by the Alpha Spa......They are both awesome for pain.
    Last week I hard hard lumps in my legs and hips that hurt so bad I didn't sleep at all. I went in and had these two treatments..now the lumps are gone and so is the pain. I'm not sure how long it will last but I'm very excited to have this relief.

I am lucky that I have these treatments available in my area for a reasonable price. I know in the bigger cities it cost alot more than what I am paying...But it is worth every penny.
    Kayleen