Suggestions for Big Attack

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by QueenM, May 26, 2003.

1. QueenM

QueenM New Member

Help! I have been having a major FMS attack for at least a week. I think the bursitis in my shoulders initiated it. This past weekend both of my shoulders hurt,my back, both knees,the calves of both legs, both hands, and my jaw all were hurting constantly. I tried everything:pain meds, water aerobics, warm baths, short walks, heating pads. I have slept so much in the last 3 days. I dread sleeping though because I hurt sooo bad when I get up. I am taking Celebrex daily although I don't feel like it does much. I have been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin. For pain I have tried Darvocet and Tylenol Arthritis. One night I took some Percocet just to be able to sleep without the pain waking me. Normally at bedtime I take Zanaflex - of course I didn't take Zanaflex and Percocet. Anybody of any suggestion to break this????
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Sorry no info to help you but wanted to let you know
    that I do take lortab and zanaflex together at night
    all the time. I know Percocet is a little stronger, but just thought I would mention it. Good luck.
    Did you try ben gay on your back?
  3. QueenM

QueenM New Member

To Applyn59,

Yes I have used BenGay - I like it over the ones with Capacin in it. Have you tried those Therma Care heat patches? Those are great, too. Thanks for your concern!!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Queen, you are in one heck of a flare! I will try to help a little.

Heres a great bath for pain;

3 bottles (large) of peroxide (regular kind)
    3 cups of Epson Salts

In a bath as warm as you can stand. Soak for 20 MINUTES ONLY. When you get out of the tub, go to bed, this soak will make you feel exausted. But it will give you a good nights sleep with much less pain.

Epson Salts is magnesium, and it goes into the pores and helps those achy muscles. Peroxide is oxygen, which also helps with pain.

If you can, get a 'mattress heating pad' it is so wonderful for that pain and stiffness you are suffering from. Try Sear's, Penny's catalog, or Wal-Mart on line. They are not in the stores in my area (Louisiana) in the summer, only in the winter. So depending on where you live, you might have to go to the web for one.

Your Glucosminamine/Chondritin is wonderful for arthritis, but it does not seem to help with FM pain.

I take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium) and ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) the latter is for sleep and also for pain. But it will not help right away! It takes about ten days to get in the system.

You might also want to try 'Natural Calm' (Magnesium Citrate), its a powdered form of magnesium and you put a teaspoon in a glass of hot water, it fizzs like an Alka Seltzer, it seems to help in a half hour for pain, BUT if you take too much, it can give you diarrhea.

I don't take pain meds, other than a Advil gel capsules, along with a low dose of Xanax when the pain gets too bad. This also works in about half an hour. If you have Xanax handy.

I sure hope you are feeling better soon, boy I have been where you are more times than I care to remember!

Let us know how you are doing dear lady...........

Shalom, Shirl

PS. the absolute best rub I have ever used is called; 'Banalg', its at most drugstores. Very strong, so be sure to use gloves when applying it. Do not get it near your eyes, or 'private places'! My husband rubbed my back, went to the bathroom and you could hear him yell in the next town!:)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2003]
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

HOw are you feeling today? Have wondered how you were, please reply if you can.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Queen,

I haven't tried those thermacare heating pads but
    I have some that we got in the mail. They sound good
    for menstrual cramps. I love bengay - the smell
    and the feel. I once bought it wihtout the smell and I hated it! My mother loves it when I smell like Ben Gay.
    LOL I am partial to moist heating pads. I also love,
    but don't recommend, using ben gay after shower
    and then lying on my moist heating pad. I have
    persmission from my dr. to do this because he knows
    how bad my back is.

Hope you are feeling better!
    Lynn

Here's a cute joke about Bengay

DEAR GRANDSON

I have become a little older since I saw you last, and a few changes have come into my life since then. Frankly, I have become a frivolous old gal. I am seeing five gentlemen everyday.

As soon as I wake up, Will Power helps me get out of bed. Then I go to see John. Then Charlie Horse comes along, and when he is here he takes a lot of my time and attention. When he leaves, Arthur Ritis shows up and stays the rest of the day. He doesn't like to stay in one place very long, so he takes me from joint to joint. After such a busy day, I'm really tired and glad to go to bed with Ben Gay.

What a life.

Oh yes, I'm also flirting with Al Zymer.

Love, Grandma

PS The preacher came to call the other day. He said at my age I should be thinking of the hereafter. I told him, "Oh I do it all the time. No matter where I am, in the parlor, upstairs, in the kitchen, or down in the basement, I ask myself, "Now, what am I here after?"
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I hope you are doing better, I know how tough it is.

I take zanaflex and morphine all the time together???

Not a problem as I understand, am I wrong???

Jaci
  8. QueenM

QueenM New Member

Dear Shirl,

Thanks soooo much for all of your suggestions. I am going to try that recipe for a soak! I am better; it has eased up. I guess this is the endstage of a flare where you are not in acute pain, but feel bruised. At least I can move around. Thanks again, you are a blessing!!!

QueenM