Suggestions for energy supplements, extreme fatique

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by boltchik, Jul 1, 2008.

1. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi all!

I did a search for energy supplements in title and only two posts came up. I am battling extreme fatique right now and would like to hear from some of you what you use on a daily basis for energy. Sublingual B12 really doesn't do much for me.

I have 3 kids and this is really affecting my daily life. I could not get out of the house today except to get my kids to swim lessons. Other times, I have better days and can do more. But the last couple of months have been especially trying.

I appreciate your input. Thanks, Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  2. dinda

dinda New Member

I was diagnosed with fibro about three weeks ago. I have started taking Life's Fortune mulit-vitamin & minerals. You take 3 a day and they started giving me energy after four days. I really like these vitamins better than any other I have taken. They are easy to swallow and are not a big pill like some multi-vitamins. I also take fibro-malic twice a day. Hope you find something that works for you. Here's the link for life's fortune.

I also take vitamin D once a week. I don't know the dosage it is prescribed by my doctor. I have a low vitamin D level.[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Jamin-Lol, I was just getting ready to post back to you and ask what dosage you take of Vit. D. Thanks!!

Dinda-I see you have also had success with Vit. D. Thanks for the info. on the small pills, that is great! I cannot take large pills and I appreciate the info.
  4. dinda

dinda New Member

that dosage sounds correct but I'm not sure. I forgot to get my refill last week and I'm out of town at the moment. That will be the first thing I do Thursday when I get home is get my vitamin d refill.
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

6. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Are caffeine and sugar energy supplements??? LOL

I don't really have any advice for you but since I know we live in a relatively close proximity (I remember from the SD fire post last year) I wanted to say I have been suffering from an unusual amount of fatigue and general tiredness this year. Normally the summer months are the best for me in terms of feeling better but not this year, not so far at least.

Maybe its a So Cal thing with weather or barometric pressure or something, I don't know but I need some energy to have some fun this summer and I can't find it anywhere! I know you are inland and have some pretty hot temps so maybe that is contributing to your fatigue too. The sun can wear a healthy person out!

Anyway hope things get better and you can enjoy your summer with your kids! Sorry I'm not much help though.
  7. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I never thought I could part with them and that they were responsible for me feeling better. AFter I had a brain hemmorage I got off all of them and surprisingly felt better.

Not right away but after 3 weeks. I really thought I would die without them.

Supplements give you fake energy and I ended up going over my energy threshold.

It's better to stay within the "energy envelope" and build up reserves slowly which I ended up doing. I am now feeling much better than I ever did with supplements which I didn't realize were making me feel sick as well. It actually made me feel worse than the CFID surprisingly. I thought the symptoms were all cfid but then found that a lot of it had to do with the supplements.

I know many of you may not like what I said, but for me it's been true.

I also started doing Tong ren which is a type of energy healing and that is probably what had to do a lot of my improvement if not most. However, as I mentioned the supplements (I was taking many from Tatumbaum's list and fibro and fatigue center which was an amazing center and was under supervision) were definitely making me feel sick and my symptoms worse.
  8. romalaw

romalaw Member

There are four things I take that I couldn't function without.

Have you had your thyroid checked? You might benefit from Armour thryoid, many of us are hypothyroid. It was the first thing that brought me back from the living dead.

B-12 shots help me alot, sublingual does nothing for me.

NADH also boosts my energy, I take 10 mg in the morning. It is expensive but it is worth it for me.

And finally, it wasn't til my doctor put me on prednisilone that I had enough energy to get through the day.

Everyone's body is different, so I hope you will continue to try different things until you find what works for you.

9. Catseye

Catseye Member

The main precursors of the body's energy, ATP, are coq10, carnitine, magnesium and ribose. You can get them at a health food store.

acetyl l carnitine is the most absorbable form of carnitine, an amino acid

coq10 is better if you get the oil based gel caps, probably 60 or 100 mg 3x per day

ribose - try 1 tsp twice a day, it can aggravate hypoglycemia in some people, I was already hypoglycemic and it didn't make it any worse for me

magnesium - you want an easily absorbable form of it like magnesium taurate, malate or glycinate, NOT magnesium oxide

A good B vitamin with folate would be good to try, also.

I can do without the ribose now, I was pretty bad when I was using it, but I still count on the others for my energy during the day. Have you given up sugar, wheat and dairy?
  10. jesfms

jesfms New Member

go easy on the carbohydrates and take slow-mag (a magnesium/calcium supplement you find at drug store), also try ambien, a prescribed medicine that helps you get fresh sleep this won't be a cure but helps good luck
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Romalaw, Rainbow11, jesfms, barrowinnovations, ktn105 and justlooking

I really appreciate everyone's input. I have been told about adrenal fatique and would like to go back and research some of the posts here.

Justlooking- caffeine and sugar as energy supp's, Lol! I am still trying to cut more of that out of my diet and eat less processed foods.

I have not given up wheat and dairy yet. Maybe when I research there is a detailed diet for adrenal fatique.

I appreciate the references to other posts and everyone letting me know what has worked for them. A lot of "food for thought". I am feeling desperate to rid myself of this fatique or to at least see a significant improvement. I owe it to my 3 kids, my husband and to myself. I just want to feel better!!

Thanks again, Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2008]
  12. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi Kim,

Have you tried Provigil?

It's not a supplement. It's a prescription drug approved for narcolepsy. It's been used with some success in for daytime fatigue. I know there are people on this board who take it so that they can make it through a day of work, for example. You might want to do a search for Provigil posts here.

When I first tried it, I took a whole tablet (200 mg). That was much too much for me! I was awake for 24 hours straight and then crashed.

I have some samples left, and I've found it useful if I really need some extra energy to take my trusty pill-splitter and cut the tablet into quarters or less.

You'll find some people swear by it while others hate it.

It might be worth a try.

Three kids are a lot of work! I hope you find something that helps you.

Take care,

P.S. Ooops! I meant to add that I'm taking Vitamin D too, and feel it's giving me more energy. I would try that first. I took the prescription 50,000 ius weekly for eight weeks, and noticed a difference within days.