Suggestions for Pillow use with Fibro & Gerd?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reebok22202, Sep 5, 2005.

1. reebok22202

reebok22202 New Member

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to sleep with some comfort? I have Fibro, along with Gerd....the Dr says to prop up on some pillows to sleep to help the Gerd, but anyone with fibro knows you wake up with a stiff neck & a headache if you sleep on propped pillows....so any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have always used 2 solid foam pillows to sleep on. I am used to that position, it is possible it could cause you pain if you aren't used to it. I had to buy these pillows from Penney's.

I don't really have GERD, I have gastroparesis, which is different--food sits in my stomach, but I take a pill for that. My husband has GERD and sometimes has to sleep in the recliner downstairs.

I have heard about putting a brick under the head board of your bed to raise it up. We can't do that because the frame is attached to the furniture of our bed.

The best solution in my eyes is to prop your entire bed up by putting something under the legs at the head board. Is that possible for you to do?

Wish I could help you more.

Hugs,
    Faye

3. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

have you thought about a wedge for either under the mattress or under the pillow? It looks like a stubby, long triangle. People used to use them for pnumonia.
  4. abbylee

abbylee New Member

reebok - I saw a pillow yesterday at Belk that is memory foam and designed for gerd. It is about an inch high at the bottom and six inches or so high at the top. It goes straight up, and does not have ridges or a hump like most of them.

abbylee
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have bad gerd too and also a hiatal hernia. My gastro doctor told me to raise the bed by putting books under the end your head is at. On a pillow, your head can slip down but this way your head is always raised.

Sandy
  6. reebok22202

reebok22202 New Member

Thanks so much...Alot of great ideas, I'll try them.....Where do you find a "Chiroflow pillow"? I'll look on Ebay...they seem to have everything else. My Mirrored headboard is attached to the frame....So I'll try some different pillows before I literally raise the whole head of the bed. Thanks again, I appreciate all the input.
    Becky
  7. 1nixon4u

1nixon4u New Member

I found my Chiroflow pillow at a local chirop. office paid aout 50.00 for it, I actually bought about 2 years ago because I had had one neck surgery and just had my second one last year which after is when the fibro kicked in along with everything else.This pillow does help me some I think and it will take a little getting use to.You can adjust the amount of water for the firmness you want it's GREAT.....Good luck