Suggestions for supplements to keep away colds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, Jan 31, 2010.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Seem to keep getting colds this winter, not helped by working some more hours in new job & a very cold winter in England. Aside from the obvious Vit C supplements and Echinacea does anyone have any other suggestions? From looking on this board I see that Vit B is recommended by some for fatigue.

[This Message was Edited on 02/01/2010]
  2. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Prehaps try Elderberry syrup/products. Give all of the data on its strong antiviral (including HIV, bird flu etc.)- Maybe good all around for all of us go be taking with CFS/FMS/immune disorders.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Do you know your vitamin D3 levels? D3 is really important for immune functioning and particularly working long hours in a very cold winter, your levels might very likely be low. There's a simple blood test for this. My doctor has me taking 4,000 iu a day.

Also, something like 60% to 70% of our immune systems are in our gut, so a good probiotic is also important for immune functioning.

One more thing - you might try monolaurin (it's derived from coconut oil) - it has antiviral and antibacterial properties. You can get capsules in the health food store. I've also read and heard that a more effective form is in pellets. There's a proprietary pellet form called Lauricidin which you can buy on-line which is a bit pricey, but I found something similar called "The Ultimate Monolaurin" by Inspired Nutrition which was a bit cheaper. I think this is helping me because I tend to get sick a lot, and generally am doing better. I'd advise going slow with it to see how your react. It can cause a herxheimer reaction caused by die-off of pathogens, which can make you achy, tired etc.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

The elderberry extract works wonders especially if taken at the first signs of sore throat etc. The Sambucol brand is the one that studies were done with, but I'm sure a reputable brand would be equal to it, not sure if it's sold in the UK anyway... you can find info online about it.

I also have found 'Thymulus' by Enzymatic Therapy to do wonders for me... in fact, about 10 years ago when I was getting a 'flu' every 3-4 weeks, it stopped it completely. Now if I feel I'm getting ill, I immediately use it also. I was told by my naturopath to use 2 caps X 3/day for urgent use. Back when I first used it, I literally even felt a 'lift' within a couple of days, sort of like when you take an abx for strep and there's an obvious difference - and more energy. They have a website: -plus you can look online for deals if not available locally. It really helps to boost the immune system, but I save it for colds etc.

Also, regarding Vitamin C - does it have the isoflavanoids with it? It's also suggested you take a dose every 1-2 hours since it's water soluble... that way your body's getting it as it needs it.

There's also recipes online for what's called 'voodoo tea', it's been talked about here as well - never tried it, but it sounds powerful - includes brewing garlic and other stuff that are well-known germ fighters.

Hope that helps -

5. Meg1710

Meg1710 New Member

Garlic and onions eaten daily or at least several times per week. Easy to add to most dishes. Soups, stir fries, garlic prawns etc etc!

It is reputed that leaving an onion whole or a cut onion lying around absorbs bacteria which is in the air. One knows how pink and black a cut onion goes when left for a few days. I haven't done it but I'd bet that if one of these onions was looked at under a microscope there would be all types of spores and hopefully some of these would be the nasty ones we want to avoid. That's why it is recommended never to eat a cut (left over) piece of onion.

Perhaps 'google' this topic and there you may find some decent evidence based research done on this....or perhaps not as it would not benefit a large pharmaceutical company!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2010]
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

these are some of the things that seem to work for some people (normally I would go into pros and cons, but I am too tired rt now, so I will just list them & you can look them up if you want more info):

vit c
    vit d
    oil of oregano
    oil of thyme
    oil of cinnamon
    oil of clove (the oils have to be diluted or they can be put into an individual steam inhaler)
    colloidal silver
    l-arginine (counterindicated if you have herpes virus, though)
    coconut oil
    olive leaf extract
    homeopathic cold & flu stuff (not sure of specific brands and names of remedies)

a heated broth of water, garlic, oregano, hot pepper, salt, and ginger (if you are sensitive to sulfur, stay away from garlic, though)

saline nasal solution
    individual steam inhalers
    also plenty of fluids esp; water, herbal tea, and unsweetened juice
    thorough hand washing
    stay away from sugar - it weakens the immune system and causes inflammation

7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

the following foods and drinks:

Pinneapples and Pineapple juices

BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast

Chicken noodle soup with lots of crackers

drink lots of water

Garlic bread

Cabbage, if you can stand it, lol.

Bean soup

:)[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2010]
  8. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

for all the suggestions. I'm currently back at work and it seems that most of my office is coming down with this cold! Not sure why I came in myself really as still feeling quite yuck, and had to wait 25 mins in wet and cold for bus this morning...argh.

9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I hit it with elderberry (Sambus syrup) & Colostrum at the first sign of a headache or stomach upset or scratchy throat. The combo seems to knock the bugs out, but I continue to take those supps for a few days anyway.

Every day I take 1000 I.U. vitamin D & probiotics, which I think are very helpful for a well-functioning immune system.

Haven't had any bugs to speak of for a long time. Can't remember when the last one was ...

Best wishes.