Suggestions needed to start FIBRO group

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeanann, Aug 23, 2002.

1. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I live in Alaska and there are not any support groups for fibro here. however I have managed to find 3 people who are interested in starting a group. Of course our biggest concern is that we will be to tired to conduct the group. It is very much needed here as I believe there are many suffering without knowledge or resources here in AK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    jean ann
  2. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I live in Alaska and there are not any support groups for fibro here. however I have managed to find 3 people who are interested in starting a group. Of course our biggest concern is that we will be to tired to conduct the group. It is very much needed here as I believe there are many suffering without knowledge or resources here in AK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    jean ann
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I ran a Fibro support group for ten years here in west central Florida. Do you have an office of the Arthritis Foundation up there? They have excellent materials on setting up support groups, and how to deal with different types of personalities in a group setting. Then, I'd just go ahead and ask your local library if you could use a meeting room once a month. Pick a good time for most people. I found late Saturday morning was the most convenient for the most folks. Then put an add in your local paper...things like support groups should get the ad for free. Require a diagnosis by a qualified physician for people to get into the group. Read the research yourself and have an idea of a topic to discuss each month when you go in. Most FMS patients need to talk so badly that you won't have to do much preparation beyond that. My biggest problem was getting them to leave on time so the next group that had booked the room could get in! I used a blackboard and ran my group like a classroom, but that is just my style. You should run yours the way you feel most comfortable. If you only end up with a few people, like less than eight, you might want to consider having your meetings over lunch at a restaurant. Many of the chain places have special rooms for those who are having private meetings and will allow you to reserve them on a regular basis. I am not sure how isolated you are...if there are no restaurants, then that obviously doesn't work. I had a back-up person who would take over if I was too sick to run the meeting. How much organization you'll need will be determined by how many you have in your group....the more members, the more organization. Most groups have a telephone tree set up to remind memebers of the meeting. I refused to do that, since I am not their mother. That's what calendars are for! Don't make it more complicated than you can handle. Since you have a computer, you can print copies of interesting articles to hand out and take up donations to pay for it. I'm not sure what else you need to know, but I applaud you for doing it,and belive me, it will help you too. The rewards you get from helping others will be priceless. Good luck, Klutzo
  4. Pixie

Pixie New Member

jean ann, please email me, I have a large fms/cfs support group, will be happy to help.
    jean615@webtv.net

[ advertisement ]