Suggestions on vitamin brands

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Jan 31, 2010.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Anyone have a preference on vitamins brands or which ones are the safest? I'm looking on the internet and it's confusing.

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I try and buy Life Extension products whenever possible. If you have a membership, you get the member's price which is cheaper than the regular price. A membership also includes a monthly magazine. Well worth the cost of the subscription!
  3. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I've never tried the ones they sell on this site, but I'm sure they are fine.

I usually go to Wally World to get a multi-vitamin, and extra Vit-C tablets.

Fight :)
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I buy all almost all my supps. here. I trust the quality and the price is competitive. The shipping is very fast.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I can probably tell you more about what NOT to get in vitamins, than what DO get.

I am 59 (today, as a matter of fact!, b/d is Feb. 2), so I normally bought the One-A-Day+50 for Women, or the Centrum for Women Over 50.

I had been taking them on and off for years -- I always hated to take them because they were so big, though. So I would take them in spells. When I got sick with colds or flus, I would take them, or I would take them when I got weak spells.

Well, last year I had a T.I.A. (mini-stroke) and I was put on Coumadin (Warfarin is generic) which is a blood thinner. I have to have my blood levels checked every 2 weeks to make sure my blood is the right consistency.

Well, a few months ago, I started back up with the vitamins because I was feeling extra weak. When I had my blood tested, the doctor went basaltic on me!!! She asked me what I had been eating different, or what had I been doing differently. MY BLOOD WAS AT A CRITICAL LEVEL!!! She told me to go home and be very careful--do not handle any knives, razors, anything sharp, etc., as to not get cut and bleed. I couldn't think of anything that I had done, until I got home.

I called her back and told her that the only thing that I could think of was that I started back on my vitamins. She said, "OMG, I bet that's it! Go get your vitamin bottle right now and look at the back and tell me if they contain Vitamin K." Well, I got it, and it DID contain Vit. K.

She told me to NEVER TAKE ANY TYPE OF VITAMIN AGAIN THAT HAS VIT. K IN IT -- BECAUSE I AM ON BLOOD THINNERS. The Vit. K affects the clotting time of blood in a big way!

So ..... if you take Coumadin or Warfarin to thin your blood, READ YOUR LABELS on the back of your vitamins, IT COULD ACTUALLY BE A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH!!!

I have now found a vitamin that does not contain Vit. K in it and I am trying to take them on a regular basis now.

6. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

You may need to try a Brand and see what works best for you.
    As example, i have sensitive stomach and alot of vitamins make me so nauseated.

Hopefully you find what is best for you