Suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MicheleF, Aug 29, 2002.

1. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I've had a burning, gnawing pain on the outside of my upper thigh maybe 4-5 inches down from my hip bone(not down the back of the leg) since last week. It's worse when I sit or lie down or walk up the stairs. At times, I feel like it's spreading into my lower buttock and/or across the top of my thigh.

The klonopin I'm taking for restless legs doesn't help. Ibuprofen doesn't touch it. Been taking magnesium supp. for almost a month. Heating pad helps for 5 minutes, but then causes nerve-like twinges up and down my whole leg, and causes cramping in my pelvis. Stretching causes sharper pain.

Is this common for fms or should I call my ob/gyn to see if I may have a cyst on ovary (common w/ me, but no pain right now) causing pressure on a nerve?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did try a search but can't find anything that sounds like what I have.

Have a great day, really having to fight for the + attitude today, lol...Michele
  2. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I've had a burning, gnawing pain on the outside of my upper thigh maybe 4-5 inches down from my hip bone(not down the back of the leg) since last week. It's worse when I sit or lie down or walk up the stairs. At times, I feel like it's spreading into my lower buttock and/or across the top of my thigh.

The klonopin I'm taking for restless legs doesn't help. Ibuprofen doesn't touch it. Been taking magnesium supp. for almost a month. Heating pad helps for 5 minutes, but then causes nerve-like twinges up and down my whole leg, and causes cramping in my pelvis. Stretching causes sharper pain.

Is this common for fms or should I call my ob/gyn to see if I may have a cyst on ovary (common w/ me, but no pain right now) causing pressure on a nerve?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did try a search but can't find anything that sounds like what I have.

Have a great day, really having to fight for the + attitude today, lol...Michele
  3. hk

hk New Member

I have had the same type of pain. I relieved it with some exercise. This exercise will release some of the pressure of of the nerve.I will try to explain it the best I can. First sit down on the floor. Take your left knee and pull it towards the right side of your chest area. Then take your right knee and pull it towards the left side of your chest. Do this approx. 10 times Let me know how it works.It has given me some relief.

Caring
    HK
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Going upstairs to try it...carpet too hard in the basement office here! Thanks.

Btw, are your wife and daughters more supportive (out of denial?).

Best wishes and take care. Michele
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sounds like inflammation of the trochanteric tender point. It could even be bursitis in there. How's your range of motion with that hip? If it doesn't resolve soon, go see your Rheumy....I am no fan of cortisone shots, but trochanteric bursitis is one of those things that warrants one, and you'll be amazed how quickly you feel better!
    My problems with this are usually caused by too much exercise, rather than being relived by it, but whatever works for you! Mine would sometimes spread around my leg joint into my crotch and make everything there exquisitely painful. I would walk with a limp for days.
    Been there, done that,
    Klutzo
  6. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Klutzo, mine does exactly the same thing, and yes, several of my students & faculty asked why I was limping. I really tried not to, as I know that can cause other problems every where else.

hk, did try that stretching exercise, how many times a day did you do that?

I'm going in to get my palm pilot for the fms study I'm doing tomorrow, guess I'll ask to see rheumy & mention the exercises & about klutzo's suggestion. Sounds as if the vote is 3/0 for fms vs ob/gyn problem.

Thanks so much for your replies. Michele
  7. totteacher

totteacher New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about all your pain. If I had that pain I sure would be fighting for a + attitude too!! I haven't had to deal with that---yet! (the type of pain in your leg). I'm glad that the others who have been in that boat were able to offer some suggestions. I hope you will find some help and relief for that pain. Wishing you luck and less pain in the days ahead.

Linda
  8. hk

hk New Member

I did it once in the morning and then right before bedtime.
    My daughters are more supportive now working with my wife now she understands a little more now.My wife has been scared come to find out.I hope the exercise works for you.
    Good luck let me know if it works.

Caring
    HK
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2002]
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

sounds like sciatica. i get that when i sit here too long. i need a better chair. it sure hurts. hope you get some relief. cindi