Suit Seeks to Ban Kids From Eating Oreos

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aryiella, May 12, 2003.

1. aryiella

aryiella New Member

No, you did not misread the title. I just came across this news article and had to share it, if you didn't already read it. I sware, the news seems to get stranger and more ridiculous every single day. At first when I saw the story title I thought they were suing Oreos for being racist (black/white) cookies....oh wait, they'll probably think of that next. Why do courts even accept these lawsuits? I don't get it. Why can't they just dismiss it for being frivolous? You know what buddy, life is dangerous and sooner or later something will do us all in. Get over it and quit worrying about dangerous fat in Oreo cookies!!! I still can't believe how stupid this is!

Mon May 12, 3:04 PM ET Add AP - Feature Stories to My Yahoo!

SAN FRANCISCO - Kids in California may have to give up their Oreos, if a lawsuit filed by a San Francisco public interest lawyer is successful.

The lawsuit, filed last week in Marin County superior court, seeks a ban on the black and white cookies, arguing the trans fats that make the filling creamy and the cookie crisp are too dangerous for children to eat.

Stephen Joseph said he filed the suit against Nabisco, the maker of Oreos, after reading articles that said the artificial fat is hidden in most packaged food, though consumers have no way of knowing.

The big difference between this suit and others that have targeted tobacco and McDonald's fast food is that consumers know that tobacco is bad for their health and that McDonald's food contains a lot of fat, Joseph said.

"Trans fat is not the same thing at all. Very few people know about it," he said, explaining that his suit focuses on the fact that trans fats are hidden dangers being marketed to children.

Nabisco officials were not immediately available for comment. They have 30 days from the May 5 filing date to respond to the suit.

The National Academy of Sciences (news - web sites)' Institute of Medicine (news - web sites), which advises the government on health policy, said last summer that this kind of fat should not be consumed at all. It is directly associated with heart disease and with LDL cholesterol, the 'bad' kind that accumulates in arteries.

But the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites) said partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which contain trans fats, are present in about 40 percent of the food on grocery store shelves. Cookies, crackers, and microwave popcorn are the biggest carriers of trans fats, which are created when hydrogen is bubbled through oil to produce a margarine that doesn't melt at room temperature and increases the product's shelf life.

The Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) has tried to force food companies to list trans fat content with other nutritional information on food packages, but manufacturers have challenged the rule. Even food labeled "low in cholesterol" or "low in saturated fats" may have high percentages of trans fats.

Informing customers about trans fats on food labels could prevent 7,600 to 17,100 cases of coronary heart disease and 2,500 to 5,600 deaths per year, the FDA has estimated.

Joseph said he has targeted Nabisco because, while other major snack food makers have reduced the amount of trans fats in their products, Nabisco has not.
  2. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

it is incredible the junk people eat and think it is 'food'.
  3. leokat

leokat New Member

Though I'm determined to conquer this (see my post the I stopped eating sugar and carbs... thread).

I live in the UK and Oreos are not easy to come by here. LOL I managed to get hold of some though.;-} They were too much even for me. I thought they tasted real fake and I got real bad heartburn after eating them. I also got a headache. Needless to say I haven't eaten them since.
  4. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

Newman's Own makes a microwave popcorn that has NO trans-fatty acids and it's pretty good. When I started to avoid trans fat I quickly realized I couldn't buy almost all crackers etc, .... well, pretty much any type of processed foods. To avoid all these things, trans fat, nitrates, msg, aspartame, etc, is more work and sometimes seems daunting to me when I really want to try and make things easier. But, I guess it's worth it! Melba toast, I think, is OK ... unless you are carb free. :) Oy.
    Hayley
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Contain stuff which is not good for us. It's better to stick to the fresh meat, fish, poultry, dairy, and produce than to eat anything processed. Whole and sprouted grain breads are OK if they do not contain bleached flour. You can buy good bread without all the preservatives at the healthfood stores. Does it taste as good as the bread we grew up with? No. You can always bake your own. There are several good cook books for celiacs with bread recipes which can be made in the bread machine.

BTW, if people would just stop buying this crap, we would see better foods offered. It ain't gonna happen, though, as Americans are sugar junkies. The cost to society from bad lifestyle habits is staggering.

Love, Mikie
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Like Oreo has cornered the market on trans-fatty food!!

Get real!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

You are right Mikie! The costs are very high! And, to top it off, the actual monetary costs to eat healthy are high. When I started shopping for more healthy foods, our grocery bill doubled (even buying no *junk*). Free range chicken, eggs, beef, unprocessed anything is available, but on a budget it is hard to do. We have a great food co-op here, but I can't afford to feed our family solely from there ... even if I buy in bulk. I've wondered if it wasn't some sort of conspiracy of the major food manufacturers. lol ... well, maybe not funny, really. A lot of the junk out there is cheap, and they wonder why our diets are so bad.
    Hayley
  8. aryiella

aryiella New Member

I agree that yes, Oreos probably aren't the healthiest thing on earth to eat. But neither is 99% of the other crap in the regular grocery store either. And, who is eating so many cookies each day that just the cookies alone are going to significantly impact your health? If you're eating half a box a day, there's something wrong w/you anyways, and the rest of your diet is probably going to be bad too. I just think it's a waste of time for someon to sue Nabisco over this. It's just going to encourage more lawsuits of other foods, etc...Society has become too litigious, and it's clogging our courts and wasting taxpayer money. Also, it makes me mad too that trying to eat "organic" or "healthy" costs twice as much as buying the "regular" versions of the same foods.

Forgot to add that it ticked me off too that this story was on the front page of Yahoo, when look how hard it is to get anyone to pay attention to us or put out a news story about our conditions.

Holly
    [This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]
  9. OuchyMama

OuchyMama New Member

I think it is a dangerous thing to have the government via legislation police all areas of our lives. Personal responsibility means I am responsible for what I put in my body. I am however not adverse to taking junk food out of schools, children should be monitored.
  10. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I agree with you.
    This is a waste of the courts and citizens time and money. This is another parental responsibility not the Food Police.

If you get time, read the book The Language Police. It is so amazing. There is so much they want out of textbooks, I don't know what they are going to teach kids..........nothing left !

Anyway, hope you are feeling better.
  11. sofy

sofy New Member

Ordinarily I would be angered by these kind of suits but in this case perhaps the media attention will alert people to the actual dangers involded in feeding these "treats" to their children.
    Our government will take us to court for not putting our children in seat belts and proper car seats and yet feels no obligation to protect our food supply from excessive antibiotic use so that in order to buy safe chicken it costs a family twice as much.
    When my daughter was little I use to tell her she couldnt have cllokies ets cuz I loved her. She was sharp but never had a come back for that answer.