Summer vacation is here and I'm soooo tired (just venting)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacher, Jun 25, 2008.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

I had the usual tough time ending the school year as well as my niece's senior/graduation activities.

And then my dad had cataract and glaucoma surgery last week. I was the designaged driver.

We've been out two and a half weeks now and it doesn't feel like it. I'm so tired I want to cry!

Can't take a nap today because I'm having a sleep study done tonight. bleh!

Dad is clear to drive now, but not home from the appointments because they are still putting drops in both eys. So, I've told the family to get everything they needed done this week because next week I'm off duty! :)

Maybe after next week, it'll feel like summer and then I can begin my usual summer activity, house cleaning!!! lol

2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Wow, I can relate!! I must admit I am spoiled from having summers off. I've been in college for the past 4 years and just graduated May 17th.

I started a 3 week class the monday after graduation and then my central ac kicked the bucket and it's been 2 weeks of heat & humidity.

I started to clean my house too, two rooms at a time. I still have 2 rooms left and am just SO POOPED I can hardly stay awake while typing this.

I still have studying to do to prepare for my NCLEX-RN exam, and I am just mentally drained. I haven't even scheduled my test yet because I'm so tired.

So much to do and no time to do it...Just thought I'd share.

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...instead of feeling fatigued!

I'm spending my summer having a bone marrow transplant. I envy you only because I worked in an elementary school with behavior-disorder kids, a job I loved, and will not be able to go back; too risky to be around those "little kid" germs, if I can indeed return to any kind of work (hoping so). With a 30-40% mortality risk just getting through the procedure, I'm making my short-term goal being able to see my daughter off to college in the fall.

It's cliche, I know, I know, but stop and smell the roses this summer. Relax, and don't clean your house for a couple of weeks! Rest instead until you feel more like, "hey, it's summer vacation; I have the stamina to do this or that, but not everything...I may need to take care of my dad, but I could skip washing windows or yardwork for a while..."

Just my two cents....and when you go back to teaching in the fall, savor those kids and that imperfect but so important learning environment for me, will you? I'm going to miss it...a lot.

Fingers crossed that the sleep study goes well for you...

4. pearls

pearls New Member

First: Pam, good luck to you. I hope your procedure goes well.

Another first: I can so relate to this because I was a teacher when I got really sick with my fibromyalgia. I taught two and a half years with it, which was really hellish, before I retired early (no disability, though - just reduced retirement).

Anyway, teaching had become more and more of an impossible chore with all the newest and latest demands. I understand what it is like!

May you now have a wonderful summer. My advice is to do as little as possible. Certainly, if you are writing to this board, you have to pace your activities so you don't get all worn out. It takes too many days to recover.

5. teacher

teacher New Member

Congrats on your graduation! It takes a lot of energy to go to school while being this tired.

Don't fret about your test. Your brain will clear up just in time for you to ace it.

I am amazed at your housecleaning energy. Two rooms a day! I'm lucky if I get a half of one!
  6. teacher

teacher New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you have to leave the educational world due to your bone marrow transplant. I will keep you in my thoughts.

I can tell that you love what you do and will really miss it. I'll miss them too, after about a month and a half rest! :)

I get to see my niece off to college in the fall. We shall have to start comparing notes. We've gotten the bed linens ordered, but that's it. How about you?

Dad's eye is coming along fine. He's starting to drive a bit now, so that helps.

I can only put off my housecleaning for another week, and then I just have to jump in ready or not. I haven't had the time or the energy since May and it looks like the Fourth of July is going to be celebrated here! Yikes!

The sleep study went well. It was the best night of sleep I've had in a month! hee hee think they'll let me come back tonight?

7. teacher

teacher New Member

Mix the newest and latest demands in with the fact that I'm "just a Music teacher" and you have my life in a nutshell. Fighting those demands as well as for the right to be recognized as a legitmate and neccesary subject is depressing. But I enjoy what I do and I enjoy the kids, so I carry on.

I sometimes wonder if I can hang on for 11 more years. It's either that or disability, seeing as how it's just me taking care of me.

I have a whole list of things in my mind that I'd like to accomoplish this summer. If I actually get a clean house out of it, I'll be satisfied!

Happy summer!
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

Please let us know about the sleep study, as I will have one also