Sun Rae and llelnino

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Catseye, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Catseye

Catseye Member

I still can't reply because of page loading problems so I had to start a thread.

Hi Sun Rae,

just wanted to pass on some relevant info that I have read about thyroid problems - mine was messed up, too.

"We've all heard that many doctors tell hypo patients, especially those with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, not to take iodine because it can aggravate their condition. The reason seems to be that selenium protects the thyroid gland from oxidative damage and this damage can increase significantly if iodine is supplemented. Taking iodine will increase thyroid hormone production and the production of H2O2 which damages the thyroidal cells. The lack of selenium prevents GPX from being able to protect the cells from this oxidative damage. While I doubt if most doctors realize why iodine should be restricted (it certainly seemed counter-intuitive to me at first), they have learned through experience that iodine can increase the thyroid damage in Hashimoto's. The information that selenium should be supplemented along with iodine is so new that most of them are unaware of it.

*****Note by Catseye: the GPX mentioned above is glutathione and selenium is involved in the production of glutathione - Rich, our local glutathione expert, has weighed in on this, see below*****

Here's what we have: Studies have shown that if iodine is low, selenium must also be kept low to prevent the hypothyroidism from becoming worse (from increased DI-I and T4 depletion, as explained above.) So if both minerals are low, then the person is hypo and gets a goiter, but the damage to the thyroid is kept to a minimum. More severe problems happen when either selenium or iodine is high and the other is low. If selenium is high and iodine low, then T4 to T3 to T2 conversion is accelerated without T4 being replenished, leading to a worsening of the hypoT. If iodine is high and selenium is low, then H2O2 is not degraded by GPX. Since H2O2 drives the thyroid hormone production, then the thyroid over-produces thyroid hormone (Grave's hyperthyroidism), the thyroid is damaged from the oxidation by the H2O2, and the end result is that the damaged thyroid ultimately decreases activity and hypothyroidism results (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). This could explain the observed progression of Grave's to Hashimoto's.

If a selenium deficiency causes an iodine deficiency, leaving you both selenium and iodine deficient, and supplementing with either selenium or iodine causes severe problems, then the only solution is to supplement both selenium and iodine simultaneously and gradually. Even then you could experience an immediate boost (from increased conversion of T4 to T3) with a subsequent letdown (lack of T4 production because of insufficient iodine or other necessary nutrient). You have to be prepared to ride out the tough times and continue increasing the selenium and iodine until those two deficiencies are corrected and the respective metabolic pathways are back working properly."

Here's from Rich's post to a fellow ph board member:

"You might be interested to know that in my hypothesis, the autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's) that is often found in CFS results from glutathione deficiency in the thyroid gland. This allows the hydrogen peroxide that is normally made by the thyroid gland as part of its synthesis of thyroid hormones to attack the thyroglobulin. The result is a molecule that the immune system regards as foreign, and it therefore attacks it, producing Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

I of course don't know whether your autonomous multinodular goiter was caused by this process, but perhaps it was. If it was, then restoring the glutathione level of the thyroid might help to at least shut down the autoimmune process. Whether that would shrink the goiter, I don't know. I do think that restoring the glutathione level by lifting the methylation cycle block is what is causing several people doing this treatment to have improved thyroid function early into the treatment."

this is from

"General: Once patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis shown signs of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), they receive man-made hormones to make up for the decreased hormone levels. Treatment is life-long. Some patients may need to have their thyroid gland surgically removed. These patients will need to take hormones for the rest of their lives, but they are able to live normal, healthy lives."

Note the remarks "treatment is life long" and "some patients may need to have their thyroid gland surgically removed". What better way to drum up lots of money can you possibly come up with? This way vs fixing the thyroid - which way is going to maximize profits? That's the medical profession in a nutshell. So they pretend to not know how to fix the thyroid. I say "pretend" because if you and I can google it out eventually, then the knowledge is there and they choose to ignore it for purely monetary reasons. They are great for crisis management, but with chronic disease treatments we are being ripped off systematically.

I would check out any facts you've heard by the medical profession AND Farr. So far, everything Farr has told me checks out. And so far, everything the medical profession has told me about treating my problems has been a lie. Farr has gotten my thyroid back in shape, too, BTW. I've stopped taking my Armour thyroid.

I tried that link but the page is no longer available. Did the stool test consist of not just yeast, parasites and fungus, but also different enzymes like chymotrypsin, betaglucoronidase and n-butyrate, and other indicators such as SCFAs, SCFA distribution, ph and fibers (meat and vegetable)?

The good bacteria make enzymes and vitamins we need and also many neuropeptides and other components of our immune system. So if you were severely lacking in them, you will have serious problems. That would be the dysbiosis, it's not necessarily a bunch of bad, it could mean lack of good bacteria, too; dysbiosis just means an imbalance of gut bacteria. You can get my email from Dr. Farr and then I can go into more detail about this and other things, I've already told him to give it to you.

take care

2. llelnino

llelnino New Member

The test looked for Predominant Bacteria, Opportunistic Bacteria, Pathogenic Bacteria, Yeast/Fungi, Parasites, Adiposity Index, Drug Resistance Genes, PH, Digestion, Absorption, Beneficial SCFA, Inflammation, Immunology, if that helps. Thanks again for helping me.

3. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

I really appreciate your thorough searches on my behalf. I wil look into this more. My only problem is that I'd like to see scientific data. I don't necessarily want to "ride out the tough times" while not knowing if I'm just further damaging a gland that I do not want taken out. It still works some, anyway. And to feel worse right now is not an option. I can't see Farr and others without my day job to pay for it.

I would want more careful scrutiny taken by a physician and often if I were to undertake suggested methods.