Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, May 5, 2009.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

does anyone know of something natural like maybe olive oil or aloe that would help block the sun? I dont do well with multiple ingredients and lots of chems.
  2. gasolo

gasolo New Member

I'm personally not aware of any effective non-chemical suncreen. Sunscreens with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide act as physical blocker and appear to be better tolerated by people with sensitive skin. Aloe and olive oil don't act as sunscreens. Aloe may sooth a sun burn and possible aid in the healing process.

[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2009]
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Olive Oil will fry your skin. Aloe soothes your skin after being out in the sun. You need the protective chemicals that are in sunscreen to block the UVA and UVB rays. Without these, you don't get any protection.

4. outofstep

outofstep Member

has one now-chemical free-saw it Target
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know that some people here don't like him, but Dr Mercola has a link to a natural sunscreen. I don't think he actually makes it, and I think it uses zinc, but I could be remembering wrong. If I have time later and feel ok I will try to find it and post it, but if not, you should be able to get to his site by googling, and then when you are there, search the site for sunscreen. He does say that it is important to get some sun for the vit D and other benefits, but he also says that it's important not to fry yourself....he actually has a lot of info about the sun and tanning and stuff that makes a lot of sense....but regardless of what you think of him, like I said, there is a sunscreen available that does not have all those chemicals.
  6. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Burts bee sunscreen contains titanium dioxide which is the active ingredient. I feel this is a marketing ploy by Burts Bee to enhance sells. Many suncreens contain this ingredient (chemical) and don't advertise it as a chemical free product.
    The "inactive ingredients" in Burts Bee sunscreen are made up of many "chemicals".

I would be interested in knowing your dfinition of "Chemical Free".

Gary[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2009]
  7. outofstep

outofstep Member

If you get right down to it, everything is made of chemicals-right? So *technically* nothing is "chemical free" if you want to interpret it that way. However, I don't.

Titanium dioxide is a naturally-occurring oxide, as opposed to a manmade chemical. I distinguish between manmade chemicals and things that are naturally occurring-which is probably what Burt's Bees does as well.
  8. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Here's a link to the page about Dr Mercola's natural also talks about a natural mosquito repellent (the mosquito repellent is NOT fragrance free....didn't notice if the sunscreen is or not)'s kind of long, but it explains why some sun is good, but too much isn't, and it explains what's in the natural sunscreen....towards the bottom is the actual ordering info...

This link gives more in depth info re: common sunscreen ingredients and which ones are safer and which are not.....
  10. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

My son has sensitive skin and allergies so we use aveno sunscreen. I don't know if that'd work for ya but it might be worth a shot. And by the way, baby oil is a natural mosquito repellent. I use it on the kids.
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

thanks for all the ideas!
  12. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

My mom uses coconut oil, & swears it works. She doesn't sunburn anymore. She used to get some pre-cancerous thingies on her skin (I forget what it's called, but I can ask her), but she hasn't gotten any since using the cc-nut oil.
    I don't know if that's just a coincidence or what.

I can't stand the feeling of having stuff on my skin (not even lotion or anything) so I can't speak from personal experience.

Mom says her gran & great aunts used cc-nut oil to prevent sunburn.