Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

I posted a topic of being really depressed. I have been down but never so down that I could not function. Here are my meds

Ritalyn - to offset opiod drowsiness
    combipatch - estrogen
    I take a multi vitamin, Fish oil, and B-12 shots monthly. I have been on Elavil for over 20years. The other meds I have been on at least 10 years. Elmiron is for interstitial cycstitis.

I am making an appt with a Psychyatrist today. I feel my gp has done all he can do.

If anyone knows of anything that might help, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks, and painfree to all.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am not a doctor so don't have any specific suggestions, but you are being smart making an appointment with a Psychiatrist.

There is no generic cure for depression, however changing to a psychiatrist is a wise move. Also ask if your psychiatrist has worked with or at least knowledgeable about our DD.

How long until you see the psychiatrist?

Do you live with someone or have someone who can check in on you? If you get to feeling worse call 911 or a mental health hotline where someone will be there to listen and give you some advice.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

I've been there. It's horrific. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care and keep us updated.

gap[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2009]
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think you need to take charge of your health, read the fine print about each of the meds you are taking, and don't rely solely on your doctor for information. Many docs are not knowledgable about side effects (actual effects) of drugs, and many dismiss the notion of side effects. Often they prescribe another drug to mask side of effects of the first one.

I tried Elavil once and it made me feel horrible. That drug alone would make me depressed.

I don't know if a psychiatrist is your best option right now. I really think you first need to educate yourself - read about these drugs - and then try to find which ones you can do without, etc.

I think you might greatly benefit from finding an integrative medicine doctor or seeing a naturopath, who will look at everything you are taking plus your diet etc. But I'm afraid if you just go see a psychiatrist, unless you are extremely fortunate, he or she will probably prescribe yet another drug, which may be the last thing you need.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

No offense, but it sounds like Chris is being very proactive with his/her health.

5. jole

jole Member

Just another opinion, but a psychiatrist was a good thing for me. For one, they go through your meds and know more about what helps with anxiety and panic attacks, and if there are interactions between the meds...and what brought them about for you in the first place.

A GP does not have the ability or training to do that. As I said in your other post, I still do have my attacks, but not nearly as often as before, and feel that my psychiatrist/psychologist were of a big help to me.

Some people also go the route of the Emotions Anon or the 12-step program and find help there, but I still feel medication of some sort is a good first step to control the symptoms, then you can study and learn the cause and how you can overcome them perhaps on your own or with a program as per above.

Good luck to you.....Jole
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2009]
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Actually, with depression your body is deficient in Seretonin. ADs help correct this/

I know a lot, LOL!!!

Let's get back on topic to give support to Chris and not promote an agenda.

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I know that serotonin deficiency can cause depression. l-tryptophan and 5-htp are two amino acids which are very effective in increasing serotonin production, without nasty side effects. Chris is already on two prescrption anti-depressants (which both have the potential for serious side effects) which obviously have not taken care of her depression. She's also taking two heavy duty pain meds, and klonopin to boot. I'm not promoting an agenda. I am just very concerned about the number of drugs she is taking and their potential for serious adverse effects.

My mother had major adverse reactions to 3 different drugs. However, the docs didn't figure it out. I had to read the fine print of each myself, then showed the doctors where the information was, and the drugs were stopped, and her problems stopped. Side effects from medicines are just generally a huge problem, and most doctors know very little about it.

I had a friend who took lexapro. She's a little older than me, and once said that getting older is a bitch. I asked what was the problem? She said the sudden uncontrollable diarrhea. I told her I didn't think that was a natural progression of getting older - she was in her early 60's. So I looked up and read the fine print on lexapro, and lo and behold, diarrhea was a "side effect". She stopped the lexapro, started taking 5-htp instead (an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin) and her diarrhea stopped. Also, she just felt better and had more energy.

Maybe I do have an agenda - trying to get people healthier with as few potentially dangerous substances as possible. If it's possible to get well without drugs which can cause deleterious side effects, then I think we would all agree that that is a good thing. And if you need a drug, fine. Just be informed about it, be aware of side effects, etc., especially when more than one drug is involved.

8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I'm wondering about your need for regular B12 injections. Have you been tested for gluten sensitivity and/or celiac disease?

Gluten can really mess with the brain in some people. In one of the most serious variations of gluten intolerance, celiac disease, there is often malabsorption of B12 as well as other vitamins and minerals. Many of these nutrients are critical for optimal mental function. So, if testing for celiac disease has not been done, you might look into it.

Low or borderline low thyroid function can contibute to serious depression. My own Mom suffered decades of severe depression, including long periods of hospitalization and multiple courses of ECT (shock therapy).

It wasn't until Mom moved away from her big-city psychiatrists & started being cared for by a lowly rural GP that her mental health improved greatly. The GP ran a thyroid panel & found that Mom was severely deficient in thyroid hormone.

Once Mom's thyroid hormones were replaced, she was able to slowly (over an 18 mo. period -- med supervised) wean off of the 5 different psych meds she'd been on at high doses (over the decades, tolerance had developed).

For the last 16 yrs,Mom's been wonderfully stable on full thyroid hormone replacement plus 5 mg. of an SSRI per day. She does retain a tendency to depression & functions best with that bit of AD she now takes. But for her family, this turnaround has been a minor miracle -- most of us thought Mom was fairly demented. However her slowness & memory problems apparently were a manifestation of the untreated hypothyroid combined with overmedication with psych drugs.

After thyroid hormone replacement, Mom's brain (and life!) came back online. She is once again the person I remember from my early childhood -- vibrant, optimistic, cheerful, energetic and involved in many activities despite some physical limitations.

Not everyone with depression has a thyroid problem, obviously, however I DO wish more psychiatrists were vigilant in thoroughly checking thyroid function before RXing multiple psych meds.

There is a pile of research on PubMed confirming the role of thyroid function in depression. The European literature shows robust evidence for the positive synergy of T3 thyroid meds with ADs -- in many cases a much lower dose of AD is needed/or multiple AD RXs are no longer needed.

Low free T3 (the unbound active form of thyroid hormone in the body) greatly increases sensitivity to pain, something I've explained in more detail several times on this forum. Replenishing T3 hormone, if it is low, is often very helpful in chronic pain syndromes like Fibro.

A full thyroid panel includes tests called Free T3, Free T4 and thyroid antibodies. Most docs do not do the full panel, just a screen, but if you have FM you may benefit from a more thorough eval.

Feel free to research further if you are interested.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2009]
  9. spacee

spacee Member

You have some good info here. This is my story though:

Tried help.

Tried AD's. They increased a skin pain that I have to an intolerable level (fetal position). Even the HTP (OTC) did that too.

Had serotonin level tested....yes, it was below normal. But I guess when it is below normal, they throw in the norepherine test) that was way high.

I started samE and it helped some but after some months I started to feel like chemicals were racing through my body...I know weird.

Then I added gaba (can be purchased here, cheap) Relief! I take one at lunch and one with supper.

I hope you find someone who tests for these neurotransmitters and sees exactly what is going on with you. Any doc can do it. I asked my pcp to do them. He didn't know what to do but a relative who is a doc said try samE. samE is expensive though. At least the gaba isn't.

In RichVK's methylation protocol the amino acids are very important. Our bodies don't make them. samE is an amino acid and the gaba, while it isn't an amino acid, it does something with our amino acids that is important.

Hugs...depression is terrible. Oh, and BTW, I take a some of the meds you take, ritalin, klonopin, B-12. And I have bladder woes that were diagnosed as IC but I treat by taking enada (sold here too) in the am. It has d-manitol in it and keeps the bladder happy.

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2009]
  10. loto

loto Member

I asked my family doctor just last week about my thyroid. I had thyroid tested in June, and all the levels appeared normal. I say appeared because I read that people with FM can have "normal" thyroid test results, and still have thyroid problems. I gave this information to my doctor, and he still just blew it off and said, I think your thyroid is ok and don't think we need to test it further. I was pushing the subject with him because lately I'm much more fatigued, seem to be gaining weight even though I've been eating healthier and less, and know it's not from medication because I haven't been taking anything different!
    So, what kind of doctor should I go to, that will know what kind of tests to do??????? Am I just supposed to find a different family doctor, find an internal medicine doctor, or what?
    I'm so lost. I don't know what to do anymore. I've also been more depressed lately. I know it could just be FM, but I really want to find out if it's thyroid problems!
    Please give me advice on what kind of doctor I need to see!!!
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Did you get the T4 test or the T4 test and the T3 and antiboties test?

You may already know this but the T4 is just a screening.

There also are new parameters for the tests.

If you think your thyroid is giving you problems the best person to see would be an endocrinologist.

Just remember there are lots of things that can make depression and FM/CFS worse. Unfortunately for me, when my thyroid was increased it did not improve either.

But that is my experience.

Take care.

12. loto

loto Member

I'll have to look back at my test results, but I'm pretty sure T3 was on there.
    I will look into this more, and check it out with an endocrinologist. UGH, I'll probably have to get a referral from my family doc, but oh well.
    Yes, I have had more stress lately, but have also wondered about thyroid and other things also. I'm just wanting to get every other problem imaginable ruled out or in, whichever way it goes!!!

Jamin, I just turned 40 this past June. Seems like everything's gone down hill since then!!!! The only good thing that happened on my bday is that a few days before it I had my uterus removed because I had a baseball sized fibroid in there! The removal of that took care of my anemia and perhaps my vitamin D level, anyway it went in the normal range after that.
    So thanks, guys for your advice and help. I'm going to check into all this. I just want to be as healthy as I can be at this point in my life!!