Supermarket saves money a few ways

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Apr 14, 2011.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I go to the Supermarket called "Frys" that have some benefits in addition to being the lowest price food store around here. Check your supermarket for what they offer as it could save you money.

1. Fry's has a "senior day" one day a month, where people 55 and older get 10 percent off their entire food order that whole day when they present the Fry's saver card at the cash register. They also accept coupons from other stores and push the coupons up to $1.00 off for each of them. This really reduces the food bill and helps a lot. Plus they have the bargains too for that week.

2. Fry's saver card can be used at some gas stations and you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas. I go to a Shell station to get my gasoline. Normally you would just slide the Fry's saver card at the payment box at the pump, but mine won't register on the payment box. So I have to input each number on the Fry's saver card onto the payment box at the pump. Once in and accepted, it automatically resets all types of gasoline at that pump by 10 cents lower per gallon. So it's worth it.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Our Publix (chain of supermarkets in the SE) just sold $50 gas cards for $40 for every $25 spent in their store. I pick these up when they have this promo and save 20 percent on my gas. Publix always has BOGO's in their weekly ads. I stock up on things I use. Also, some of their prices beat Walmart's. It's like everything else; you have to shop the sales.

I especially shop sales for paper goods. We just throw it our or flush it, so cheaper is better. I never pay more than $.75-.80 a roll for paper towels. Tissues always cost $1 or less. I absolutely refuse to pay more than $.25 a roll for toilet tissue. These are brand names and not the cheap, crappy (no pun intended) products. I'm not against trying the cheaper, or house brands, products but they have to be as good as the name brands.

I bought Publix cheese to make lasagna and it turned to oil instead of melting. AACK! Ruined the whole dish. Also, the house brand of their milk spoils faster. The milk at 7/11 is some of the best and costs less than McArthur's.

Dollar stores and Big Lots can save a lot of money. I just bought two new stainless garbage cans which open automatically when you get near the top. Bed Bath & Beyond sell these for more than $100 each and I got them at Big Lots for $40 each. Nothing like a bargain. That and laughter is the best medicine.

Love, Mikie
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Oh, I remember Publix when I was in Florida years ago--it was my place to shop. Actually when there was a huge storm that went through there a couple years ago and knocked out power for close to 10 days. My Dad said that during that time, Publix stepped in and had cold groceries on hand but not in their normal large quantities, but enough for people to buy for that day. And Publix even set up areas for people with electric scooters/power chairs to be able to charge them up--that's a big deal for people who are paralyzed or can't walk. My Dad was going to Publix daily for fresh food for each day until power was restored.

With Fry's I made the mistake of buying the house brand glass jar of spaghetti sauce and didn't realize it contained MSG and it gave me a super migraine. Like your experience with the cheese, I learned the hard way. So I have to really look over any house brand food items as I never expected to see MSG.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is a family- and employee-owned chain. They are heavily involved in the coimmunities they serve. They collect for the food banks, March of Dimes, Special Olympics and a lot of other charities. The stores have huge generators which can keep them going when storms cut electricity. It's how I got through the aftermath of Hurricane Charley.

When I decided to try to return to work part time, I got a job with Publix as a cashier. I liked bagging too and would sometimes do that. I formerly was in insurance sales and I just wanted a job that I didn't have to bring home with me. Publix worked with me to adjust my hours. When I started to develop the Sjorgen's, I got so exhausted that I had to quit last July. I love being home, especially when I need to rest, but I miss my coworkers and my customers. After a while, you develop relationships with steady customers.

What I do miss down here is enough competition to double coupons like in Denver when I lived there. Publix is so big here that they really don't have much competition. Sweetbay and Winn-Dixie are minor players here. Oh well, if we are going to have a near monopoly, it might as well be a store I like.

Love, Mikie
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I like to have canned broth for quick soups--I buy Swanson's chicken broth when it is on sale--no MSG however the beef flavor has MSG.

I have seen commercials for WalMart that they will match any other stores ad prices--I haven't tried it myself because when I go there it is generally after work and the ads are at home on the table.

We only have one grocery store that does double coupons and it is only about once a month with a limit of 3 double coupons that come in the Sunday paper--sometimes I can get a really good deal.