Superwoman syndrome Hah Comments by KC doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, May 11, 2006.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Saw this & thought I was in the 1890s time warp with the insane sexist comments by the doctor. Superwoman syndrome. Phooey! I hope he gets lots of negative reactions, esepcially as we come up on 5/12/2006.

TheKansasCityChannel.com
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome May Have Genetic Link

Doctors Say Condition Also Has Environmental Triggers

MERRIAM, Kan. -- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome affects mostly women. New research lends possible insight into a genetic link.

KMBC's Kelly Eckerman reported that a large-scale study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention supports the belief of a genetic predisposition to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

"Basically, it's this profound malaise, fatigue, oftentimes depression, inability to do heavy physical labor for long periods of time. That's the way I have seen it. It's sometimes manifested also with Chronic Pain Syndrome," Dr. Roger Bruning said.

The study still supports the idea of environmental triggers, like stress, but shows some of the first scientific evidence that some people may be predisposed genetically to chronic fatigue.

Bruning, who has seen a number of female patients battle the symptoms, said that it still boils down to overcoming the superwoman syndrome.

"They are the people who bring home the paycheck, care for the children, do the nuturing. So they are chronically under stress, get less sleep, and may not eat as well. They also don't get the exercise that they should. And all these things cause further problems," Bruning said.

Bruning said that it is important to remember having the genetic sequence highlighted in the study doesn't mean you will develop Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

"I think I would not focus on the genetic issue as much as I would how I would manage my life so I can better support myself and my family. Certainly nutrition, better exercise, adequate sleep -- and not three and four hours of sleep a night -- being able to get the sleep you need and not overdoing it physically on a continuous basis," Bruning said.

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

....thanks for your post...I wonder what rock they found this guy under?

Maybe someone should inform Dr. Bruning....that in this day and age it usually takes two incomes to support a family (whether you have children or not) and that a better support system would be great.....where are the supermen?

If only it was as easy as getting more sleep, eating better, and exercising more.....unfortunately for most there is more to it.

Jeez...Dr. Roger Bruning...needs climb back under his rock...and do some reading...he just might learn a thing or five...

Thanks,

Karen
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

post really cracked me up. Thanks!
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

where he says that we bring home the paycheck,care for the children and do the nurturing and then in the next breath says that we don't get enough exercise.Has he ever tried following a 2 year old all day-talk about obstacle courses!!
    Linda
  5. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

If I really were superwoman I'd like to use my radar vision and zap his butt into reality!!!!
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... in my experience I can't disagree with him - just with the cocky way he expresses himself.

I still think my "path" to CFS came from trying to be Superwoman, not at home, at the office. "Just ask me; I'll do it and I'll do it perfectly". Of course, this was predated by a lot of other stress all my life........but Superwoman really does describe it. Superchild too.

Marta
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm a male who is disabled with CFIDS, and am clearly not suffering from "Supwerwoman Syndrome."

Our Dr. Bruning is clearly an ignorant ass.

Do a google search on "Dr. Bruning telephone Kansas" and you'll see his number on the second hit.
    Why not call him and voice your opinion?
    I'd be happy to do so as well if you'd like me to.

Sincerely,

Kholmes
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

You know, if it was as easy as getting more sleep, eating better and exercising, why am I still sick?

I do all these things. But I still have 7 out of 10 pain if I am not on NSAIDs 24/7, still have to take a muscle relaxant at least once a day and need Adderall to stave off the Rip Van Winkle fatigue.

The irony is that I got FM while I was home on TOTAL bedrest from my fifth month of pregnancy on.

And why does it always seem to be a MALE doctor that treats this so cavalierly? Jack@ss.

Like childbirth, you wish certain people could experience what we do for one day.

If men were equally as affected by CFS/FM as women, you bet your @ss there'd be a lot MORE research going on and a lot LESS Freudian garbage bobbing around out there.

Forgive me kholmes, lamotta, et al.

Grrrrr
    Madame Curie

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]