Supplement Suggestions For A Tight Budget

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by retrogirl, Mar 15, 2010.

1. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

If there were just a couple of things that I could afford what would you suggest that made the most difference in energy and functioning? I don't take a multi now and also was wondering about the Fibro(can't remember the name of it)that is offered by pro health.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I do take the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid and love it, been on it for a few years now and I did notice a difference in energy when I first started taking it.

Another thing I'd recommend to all, is a balanced Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc combo. Doesn't have to be expensive but the Cal/Mag have to be taken together to get the most of the benefits. It helps with muscle pain and some say it also helps them sleep.

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My local foodstore often runs buy one get one free on vitamins. I get Vitamin D, Magnesium, I do add a calcium/magnesium/zinc combo, sometimes, Iron, Vitamin C. B vitamins if you can take them or a good multi.

The two most important are Vitamin D and Magnesium. The D in high doses will give you more stamina and the Magnesium will help with sleep and muscle pain.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

The one that has made the most difference for me energy wise is D-Ribose, but it is not cheap and it may not work if you don't have enough of the other nutrients the mitochondria need, as well.

Vit D is really important for a variety of things inc the immune system, the endocrine system (which affects energy and mood among other things), cancer protection, and pain relief, and it IS very cheap.

Vit C can help with energy and it definitely supports the immune system.

B vitamin complex is very good for energy and for so many of the issues we have.

Magnesium/Malic acid combo is good for pain and energy and relaxation.

There are so many more that can help, but if I really had to limit it, I would probably go with these, and maybe CoQ10 (but it is not cheap either....helps heart and energy).

Oh and Omega 3 oil (fish oil, flaxseed oil, walnuts, etc) is one that used to help me a lot but my stomach cannot tolerate it anymore. It helps with brain fog, sleep, pain, allergies, sking and hair, and a few other things.

Sorry that didn't really limit it much, but it gave you a few good ones to try. The thing is that it would probably really help to know what is in your body rt now (via blood work), bc then you wouldn't waste money on stuff you don't need and you might be better able to pinpoint what might help.

The other thing I would say is to try one at a time. Even though some do work better together, if you try too many at once you won't know which one(s) is helping or causing any side effects, etc. Give each one a thorough trial before deciding.

ETA: One more thing I would say is to avoid buying supplements from a grocery store even though they may seem cheaper. The quality is not likely to be as good and many of them have more fillers and stuff added to the supplements that you don't need and that could cause a bad reaction. I'd get them from a reputable vitamin/health food store or online via pro health or vita cost. Consumer reports is a good place to check on brand quality, too.[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2010]