supplements, a tax deduction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Mar 29, 2006.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Does anyone know if I can deduct the cost of non-prescription vitamins/minerals/supplements from my taxes??

I think the answer is no.. but i'm double checking.
    Cheers
    Delia
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

3. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

Your doc prescribes them for a particular health condition.
  4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Delia,

We checked with our Tax Preparer over the past 2 years re: this expense. (It's HUGE in my case!) Even if a Dr. prescribes the supplements; they can not be included in your medical deduction amount.

The suggestion we got was to check into my hubby's job to see if they had a Flexible Medical Spending Account program. They do! So last year; we signed up. Every pay check; a certain amount is deducted PRE TAXed out of my hubby's paycheck & deposited into the Flexible Account.

When I incur a medical expense not covered by our regular Medical insurance (also Orthodontics not covered by insurance for our son, etc.); we submit a copy of our receipt & a claim. Within a month; they send us a check for that amount.

There is a maximum amount per year...I think this is $5,000. The benefit to you is that the $ the deduction out of your pay is Pre-tax; so you are saving money that way.

BTW, our Flexible Account company required that I submit a letter from the Dr. stating each supplement & the reason why I was taking it. I had to pay the Dr. to do this; but once they had that letter; we received reimbursement with no problems.

Hugs,
    Annie
  5. kalina

kalina New Member

I know the official line from the IRS is that supplements aren't tax-deductible, but my tax professional says they ARE deductible if the specific supplements are prescribed by your doctor as being necessary for your treatment. I just had to get a letter from my doctor stating that supplements are necessary along with a list of which ones, and I keep it in my tax file. I spend a small fortune on supplements every year, so being able to write them off is a huge help!
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

As long as you kept your receipts.All sales tax are deductible you need to keep those reciepts..........I do I keep them in a box with a running total........We paid out over 500.00 in sales tax just from our shopping in 1 yr.......every little bit helps.

sue
  7. Lolo500

Lolo500 New Member

I've noticed your group has stopped posting.
    Did you decide to just exchange personally?

Lolo
  8. cookstove

cookstove New Member

My tax preparer says that they may be deducted if you have a written prescription for them from your doctor. My doctor knows what I am taking and is willing to write that prescription for me.

I also get a prescription for my water exercise, wound dressings that I need, etc.

I am sure that there are some doctors out there who would not be willing to write a prescription for these things. Mine is very generous-actually the nurse writes it as he has pads pre signed.