Supplements for ADHD

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by mysticangel683, Oct 31, 2009.

1. mysticangel683

mysticangel683 New Member

Hello all. My husband has ADHD and it is getting WORSE. He has been in the worst moods and is contanstly causing fights. He has gone to a doc to get revaluated, but he didn't wanna do anything. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I have been sick myself the last few months. And I think that has somehow triggered this. Is there anything natural that will help him? Everytime he gets a perscription it works for 2 weeks then he starts getting horrible mood swings. Please help!
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

First, you need to report back to your rxing physician about the mood swings. Some people can take stimulants successfully only when they are taking a mood stabilizer.

In our family, we've found that our young adult son with mild ADD does best on EPA fish oil, magnesium, Vitamin D, and a stress-type mulitvite high in the Bs. This was after numerous trials of several different ADD meds, which would cause anxiety & mood issues, which were then off-set by other rxd psych med, which worsened the ADD -- so the ADD med would be increased & it just spiraled on until he said, STOP. He now uses the above supps, plus caffeine (coffee) judiciously, and does fairly well. When his anxiety increases, he uses a device called Alpha-Stim that is wonderfully calming.

I'm not saying that what helped my son will necessarily do the trick for your DH. However, much of what we learned has been via the Amen Clinic, which has several offices across the nation. Their claim to fame, which is controversial in garden-variety medicine, is the use of SPECT scans to pinpoint physiological markers of a given individual's psychological distress. They are headed up by Daniel Amen, M.D, who is a lauded Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association as well as a board-certified psychiatrist specializing in neuropsychiatry.

If you are interested in a low-cost introduction to what the Amen Clinic does, you might check to see if your local public library owns a copy of the book by Daniel Amen, Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Different Types of ADD. You may in reading this book come across some suggestions that may be helpful to your DH.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2009]
  3. mysticangel683

mysticangel683 New Member

Thank you. We have reported back to our doctor and it really don't seem to be a concern to him. So my husband just stops them. I will research some of the stuff you've mentioned! Thanks again.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would definitely get a second opinion. Has your husband's PCP been prescribing his medications?

These type of medications need to be prescribed by a psychiatrist who knows the ins and outs of psychotropic medications and can help your husband adjust to them.

I would be very worried about your husbands behavior with the mood swings. Do you feel safe around him? That is something only you can answer.

It also sounds like something other than just ADD is going on and mood swings are not just caused by ADD and if something else is going on the stimulating effect of the ADD medication could make things worse.

Take care.
    gap

ETA Here is some information that may be helpful:

Adult ADD/ADHD Myths: Fact or Fiction

MYTH: ADD/ADHD is just a lack of willpower. Persons with ADD/ADHD focus well on things that interest them; they could focus on any other tasks if they really wanted to.

FACT: ADD/ADHD looks very much like a willpower problem, but it isn’t. It’s essentially a chemical problem in the management systems of the brain.

MYTH: Everybody has the symptoms of ADD/ADHD, and anyone with adequate intelligence can overcome these difficulties.

FACT: ADD/ADHD affects persons of all levels of intelligence. And although everyone sometimes has symptoms of ADD/ADHD, only those with chronic impairments from these symptoms warrant an ADD/ADHD diagnosis.

MYTH: Someone can’t have ADD/ADHD and also have depression, anxiety, or other psychiatric problems.

FACT: A person with ADD/ADHD is six times more likely to have another psychiatric or learning disorder than most other people. ADD/ADHD usually overlaps with other disorders.

MYTH: Unless you have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child, you can’t have it as an adult.

FACT: Many adults struggle all their lives with unrecognized ADD/ADHD impairments. They haven’t received help because they assumed that their chronic difficulties, like depression or anxiety, were caused by other impairments that did not respond to usual treatment.

Source: Dr. Thomas E. Brown, Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults

[This Message was Edited on 11/12/2009]