Supplements for nervous system

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yellowbird, Jul 2, 2003.

1. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

Hello,

I have been taking OLE for a few days now without any herx reaction or improvement in my energy level. I am thinking this may be because viruses, bacteria, etc may not be a problem for me. In fact, not long ago my acupuncturist told me my problem was not in the immune system, but neurological. "Your brain is tired," she said "and it comes down into your body."
    So, I wil keep on with the OLE for a while, but at the same time I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for supplements to strengthen the nervous system. Although I have had CFS for about 10 years now, I've never had cognitive problems so I don't think anything like ginko would be called for.

Thanks,

yellowbird

p.s. sorry if my first post was too grim for you...
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Yellowbird, have you looked in the Library for the Cheney/Klonopin article? Sounds like a cure for a "tired brain" to me! :)
  3. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

Thanks Elaine,

I have been taking Klonopin (Rivotril in Canada) for many years now, it definitely helps me to get a good night's sleep.

yellowbird
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You did not say which dx you have, CFS or FMS. If it is FMS, we have been proven to be deficient in GABA, the main calming neurotransmitter. The good news is you can get it cheaply, over the counter at any health food store or online.
    I've been taking the maximum dose (750 mgs. twice daily) for years, and it has helped me keep meds to a minimum. You should notice a pleasant calmness with the first dose. Don't expect the sort of knock-you-out effect of drugs, just a subtle but recognizable difference.
    GABA receptors are the same place drugs like Xanax and Neurontin work on, so if you have mild FMS, GABA may be all you need to help you sleep. Unlike the drugs, it has no side-effects. I am very chemically sensitive, and it has been a great help to me.
    Oh, it stands for Gamma AminoButyric Acid.
    Klutzo