Supplements Of No Help, Am I The Only One?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Oct 24, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have tried many supplements to help with my CFS/Fm symptoms but have not found any that I can say truly helps. In fact some seem to make me worse.

So .now I am not taking any not even a vitamin. Seems when I take a vitamin I start with the ear and sinus issues. I feel I need to take some but don't.

Just wondering if I am the only one.

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm in the same boat. The last stuff I took made me much worse. And I'm so depressed over it. All I do is spend the money on the stuff trying to get better and it doesn't even work. I don't know what to do anymore. It's just sad and frustrating.
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I've spent a fortune over the years and no supplements have helped me even a tiny bit - the only exception being probiotics which seem to help a little with my upper gut problems. I notice when I miss a day.

I do take milk thistle too in the hope it will help with the load on my liver from all the meds I take but can't say I notice it if I don't take it for a while.

Out of hundreds of vitamins, herbs, homeopathic stuff etc, only the probiotics made any difference.

Love Bunchy x
  4. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I've had no luck with supplements either. I try to take some of them just because I spent so much money on them but I don't see any difference. Perhaps there not what we are lacking in our bodies, who knows?

5. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Gosh no you are not the only one. Minor for-instance: dr said I should take Centrum Silver vitamins quote "because you know you are 60 now."

Yes, I knew that. He didn't have to tell me; I still remember at my advanced age (well, advanced as compared to him who looks as if he's not old enough to drive yet) that I was born 6 decades ago.

So anyway I tried the stuff. First I had to cut the tablets into swallowable pieces. Then I found out that I got so wired-feeling and agitated I couldn't rest nor sleep.
    Yeah. Two of the biggest issues some of us have, and I couldn't get either one until a chunk of days after stopping taking the vites and tossing $$ into the trashcan.

I do keep using things such as pau d'arco, olive leaf extract, cats' claw extract, fennel seed, chromium picolinate, grapefruit seed extract mostly because I'm afraid I'll feel even worse if I stop using them. Not exactly what I'd call a win-win but it's the best I can do right now.

Greatgran if there's anything I've learned from these rotten illnesses is that we have to try a lot of stuff to see if it helps and, if it doesn't, well, we learned that.
    Hang in there...

6. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I haven't found any supplements that helped me. Including B12 shots...

7. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

The majority of things I put into my system do indeed make me worse. Even a daily vitamin is enough to wipe me out because my body just can't handle it. However, I've been on olive leaf extract for the past four years, and it's the only thing that without a doubt helps me. It's a powerful anti-viral herb but it's still safe enough to take long term with lots of benefits even for healthy people. Without it I'd have no life... I get kind of scared thinking about it because I'm still soooo sick while on it, but then I remember what I'm like while off of it, when even sitting up in bed is a chore, staying awake for more than an hour is like an act of God, and driving myself anywhere is completely out of the question. It makes enough of a difference that I can't stop taking it, and I hate that I need it so much, but then again I'm so glad I at least have -something-. I wish more people would try it and see if it helps them, too.

~ Karyn
  8. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

I've had the same problem for years. I think for a lot of us, our metabolic systems etc are just so low that they cannot process things very well.

If you're very drug sensitive you're probably likely to be intolerant to alot of supplements aswell.

Over many years i've tried thousands of $$ worth of supps, and soo many times I have only gotten to take a few days worth from the bottle, then there's another almost full bottle for the collection to just sit there.

Usually the reactions I get are mainly headaches, increased brain fog & irritablity. Also increased muscle pain etc. Again i'm pretty sure it's to do with not being able to metabolize things properly.

A few times in the past, i've been on big bunches of tablets and all sorts, and for some reason i stop them all and notice within a day or 2 I feel better.

However that being said.. i don't think giving up on supps is neccessary either, because so many of them have potential to help. For instance over the years, no matter what else i've tried, high doses of vitamin C and magnesium are well tolerated by me always - no bad reactions (except diahrrea at higher doses of both), but they only help. I always notice if i stop vit C for a while, soon as I go back on it at about 4-6000mg, they next day i wake up with ALL symptoms reduced. The easiest to tolerate is probably calcium ascorbate powder or mixed ascorbates. Leave out ascorbic acid if it burns the stomach, the others don't. Magnesium and calcium should also be tolerated no worries.

The things i've found harder, is more herbal based supps. As i have a very allergic body, i think it's because herbal liquids and so on have very concentrated high levels of salycilates and amines, the natural food chemicals many of us are intolerant to. As much as I've read about the wonderful benefits of this herb and that herb, then get excited about trying it, a large percentage of the time straight away it gives me asthma, irritability, brain fog and headaches. Verry frustrating!

It's worth trying things individually, or at different times of the day too. Like B complex for example - over my cfs years, i've learned and know that high dose B complex is SO important in this illness, yet it has almost always given me massive headaches, sometimes to the point of throwing up with a migrane. However, if i take it at night just near sleep time, it doesn't have that effect at all.

So it's really a matter of trying things at different doses and different times. Vitamins, minerals and metabolites will usually be tolerated better than herbals. Dosing can be important - as Karen on here has mentioned, best to get capsules with powder in them, open the cap, and take tiny amounts at a few intervals over the day. Its a hassle, but it just might build up the body enough to tolerate larger doses of the much needed nutrients.