supplements, vitamins I cant take ANY what now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Oct 1, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Does anyone else have this problem ? I have tried all kinds after a week or two or sooner they make me sick. makes no difference if I eat or not when I take them. I buy things others recommend but soon have to stop because its just to hard on my stomach. Even the water soluble vitamins that everyone takes. Even Children's vitamins.

I basically take only what meds I have to. I try to get what I need threw my diet .I do not think it works.
    I have to believe that some of my fatigue has to be because I lack something in my diet.

I even have trouble drinking Orange Juice .I love vegetables all kinds but as I get older I cant eat some of them. I am over weight and find I do not eat alot but I eat what I can digest or what doesnt bother my stomach.
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My problem with supplements is that after about 6 years of taking large quantities, I became allergic to the cellulose in many brands. Cellulose is wood pulp that is used as a cheap filler. Why vitamin (and some pharmaceutical companies) think that wood pulp is a product fit for human consumption is beyond me. If I avoid the cellulose, I'm fine. If I don't, I get a rash (sometimes a hideous rash) on my chest. It might affect my mood too.

What if you try something like an antacid to sort of coat your stomach? On occasion I've taken multivitamins without food and started to feel sick, but Tums or whatever fixed the problem right away. The fact that the orange juice is bothering you suggests that maybe acid is your problem.

Aloe vera juice, taken internally, has helped my occasional stomach sensitivity too.

Then again, you could be like one person on this board and be sensitive in general, especially to things like Vitamin C. ( I don't remember the symptoms. ) Carla maybe? If so, perhaps she will have specific ideas for you.
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

slim fast for some weird reason gives me migraines.

It's interesting about the wood pulp because I know I am severely allergic to trees .That would make a lot of since.
    What is it called on the package so I can look for it in the future.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I don't know what or how cellulose is made. But, I believe formaldehyde is in some of it. Before you take anything, including slim fast, make sure you read the labels so as to avoid aspartame which is formaldehyde. In 1990 I got a gerbil for my son. I started getting sick and couldn't figure out why. For years I blamed the gerbil. Finally I found out it wasn't him. It was the cedar bedding. I don't know if it was the cedar or the chemicals used to treat it.
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

What does your doctor say is the cause for you not being able to take so many things?

OJ is very acidic so it doesn't surprise me that you can't tolerate it. Seems as if you steamed veggies that would help with digestion and get you the vitamins you need.

Marta