Supplements...What are your favorites?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by hermitlady, Apr 1, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Since being in a horrific flare lately, I've decided I need to get back to taking daily supplements. I must admit that I'm not the best about taking them on a regular basis. I hate swallowing so many monster pills and some of them upset my stomach.

I have Dr. Teitlebaum's Fatigued to Fantastic Vits, ProHealth Fibro Multi, Malic Magnesium, Adrenal Support, and Fish Oil.

Last night I went on a shopping spree in ProHealth's Store and ordered Vitamin D, Grapeseed Extract and CoQ10.

Now the challenge will be for me to take them EVERYDAY!

If anyone has any favorites they'd like to list, be my guest:) Thanks. Herm
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Get yourself a weekly pill case divided into each day, it helps you to remember to take your pills.

I like what you've ordered, it's a good place to start. You might want to separate them out, it makes it easier to see which one's help the most.

Also, I know I keep repeating this but Magnesium needs to be taken in balanced form with Calcium. These two work together and the benefits are amazing.

Hugs,

Nancy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2008]
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Yep, I went thru and read a lot of posts to find a few things to add to my collection.

Can you suggest starting dosages for the GE, and D as I know those are 2 that you swear by? I'm a baby doser tho, have to take smaller amounts of meds than most people.
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have lots......usually they're not big enough to fit all the supps in tho. I may be loading up 2 of them:)
  5. Debidoo

Debidoo New Member

BECAUSE . . . . I started it a couple of days ago and feel a LOT better! I take Lorna Vanderhaeghe's "Fibrosense." I like her supplements because she sells them (usually) in a month's supply box of daily packets. I had already been taking a large dose of Magnesium and Celadrin but this also has Malic Acid. Since it's the only new supplement I've taken, I contribute that substance to helping my F. I also take her daily packet of Femmsense which is ALL the supplements prepackaged for one day that a "normal" person would require. Then she has other supplements for "special needs."

I know what you mean about going off the goods! I have 2 fairly large containers - one for AM and one for PM. If I fill them at once the night before then I will take them. Also, I now swallow about 5 at once just to get rid of them and not have to drink several glasses of water.

Another thing I do is squeeze 1/2 fresh lemon into warm water and take that each morning 30 min before breakfast - this cleanses my liver. Then I eat an apple and 30 min later have an organic cereal with plain yogurt, chopped almonds and 2 T of Flax Seed Oil. Lunch is usally small, but BAD! Then I'm good at supper.

I miss having my wine at night. Does anybody else find that wine makes their F worse?

I'd also like to hear what others find good for their daily routine.

6. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

CoQ10
    USANA essentials, grapseed extract and fish oil.
    Vitamin C
    B12 injections
    Probiotics
    Amino Acids

7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thx for the additional info.

debi...I agree, I can barely choke down all the water to take all the pills with. Glad you're already feeling better. Is that a website you got your packets from? I'll have to do a Google.

jam....No, I haven't had my D levels checked. Should I before starting the D? I figure my vit levels are all a bit low cuz my diet hasn't been the greatest for awhile. Been too sick to feel like shopping for healthy stuff and cooking. I tend to go for easy, basic stuff. I already have a stomach ache from my morning supps, feels like a rock in my gut. I had eaten first too.

trevor...what type of Probiotics? I was looking at some, but don't really know what to start with. Do you feel an improvement w the B12 injections? I've only had 1, my dr hasn't seen any improvement in his pts that have tried them.
  8. Catseye

Catseye New Member

pantethine
    folate
    Dr. Vickery's Platinum Plus Amino Acids
    calcium pyruvate
    Krebs Cycle Chelates mineral supp
    acetyl l carnitine
    Extra Energy Enzymes biotec sprout pills
    digestive enzymes
    betaine hcl
    time released B complex with bioactive Bs
    creatine
    NAC

karen
  9. spacee

spacee Member

it is a Dr. Cheney long time recommendation and it is a mood elevator for me. I take 100mg in am and 100mg about 4pm.

I take a lot of other stuff but that is "I can't live without" one.

Spacee
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

would have to be MSM, it's the only one I remember to take regularily as advised by my doctor and it really does help the pain.

Sue in Ontario
  11. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Elderberry
    Green Tea
    Oreganol/North American Herb and Spice Only
    Goatein
    Source Naturals Glutathione/Molybendum sublinguals
    DGL licorice
    oil of cilantro
    Zinc
  12. Debidoo

Debidoo New Member

I live in Canada and purchase my supplements for a local health food store that carries Lorna R. Vanderhaeghe's supplements. (She's Canadian and very well known here - as a matter of fact my homeopathic doctor recommends her brand to be of high quality as Treatment will likely come up) and you can listen to past radio broadcasts, etc. She does sell on line - and to the states as well. Where are you from?

Debi
  13. Debidoo

Debidoo New Member

I have heard (and use) PB8 is the best and is recommended by Dr. Christiane Northrup. (She is a well known GYN in the states that has several books out dealing with ALL the issues post menopausal women get - as in immune disorders.)

I tend to get Diarrhea (sp? my brain isn't working yet this AM)and when I take 2 PB8, the cramps subside within 5 min. There is not an anti-D med that works for me, for some odd reason, but probiotics do. All the better, since it's natural.

Debi from Toronto Canada
  14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

When it comes to probiotics many of them have different strains of bacteria in them, however to my knowledge they all are trying to achieve the same goal. And that goal is to replace the healthy bacteria in your digestive tract.

So which strain you choose I don't believe will have to much of a difference, the real factor you want to look for is the amount of bacteria per capsule. You want to find a probiotic with at least 5 billion live organisms per capsule.

The bacteria have to make it through your stomach acid to reach your colon where they belong. So the more live organisms the better the chance to populate the live bacteria.

The current strain I am taking is called "Saccharomyces Boulardii" you can wikipedia that and it will explain what type of fungus it is etc. In my opinion everyone should be on a probiotic they help regulate your digestive system, and help with overall immune health I recommend you give one a try.

I take two capsules one in the morning and one at night for a total of 10 billion organisms.

And I am not sure where you live, but to achieve quick and easy vitamin D levels, if you can get outside and just bake yourself in the sun for a solid 10-15 mins you will pick up a great amount of vitamin D. Adding this to taking oral vitamin D and you should be able to get your levels up.

I see good results from B12 injections, the B12 injections I get are a little more amped up then most. They are from a compounded pharmacy and the injection is mixed in with other B vitamins and other antioxidant properties. However, the effects of my B12 injections really only tend to last the day I get them, but the effects are definitely noticeable and worth it. I try to get in two injections a week, but usually only get one a week. I save them for days I know I will be using quite a bit of energy and they help out quite a bit.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    Take care,
    Trevor
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2008]
  15. renjanson

renjanson New Member

Have you heard of Bio-K? It's a liquid probiotic that comes in small bottles to drink.

My primary doctor told me to try it.

I was also reading the article in the ProHealth magazine about B12 and there is a sublingual tablet that has all four forms of B12, called B-12 Extreme.

Has anyone tried this one?

Do you think this would be as good as injections?

16. renjanson

renjanson New Member

Which type of magnesium is good?
  17. Debidoo

Debidoo New Member

I agree that 10 min of sunshine on the skin daily should give you your daily dose of Vit D. I just wanted to add that you must NOT be wearing sunscreen. Do your 10 min and then put on sunscreen. People with dark pigmented skin have a natural SPF that is extremely high and would require more Vitamin D and perhaps should supplement. It is now recommended that we require approx 1200 IU of Vit D daily. New studies indicate that Vt D is preventative for colon cancer and that perhaps a deficiency is the cause for MS.

We can all benefit from upping our doses of Vit D.
  18. hensue

hensue New Member

Fibro care which is malic acid. Multi gold vitamins from to your health.
    Calcium amd vitamin D
    flax seed oil during the day
    I am good to go and i dont sell it i have gotten a lot of people on fibro care it has helped there soreness.
    I have fibro for 11 years from head to toe.
    hensue
  19. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thanks to all of the input here....I'm sure many people will look thru this thread and get some valuable info.

I received my order of supps from ProHealth yesterday, they arrived so quickly! I was so sick yesterday tho, I didn't even open the package.:(

Hope you all have a good weekend...H
  20. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I take many supplements (20 per day)to keep my energy up and for prevention purposes, but find the following most helpful:

100 mg. B Complex daily
    100 mg. Panethonic Acid daily
    6 Garlic caps a day (more if I feel CFS symptoms coming on)
    Liquid Ginseng
    EmergenC

Also, I absolutely swear by Homeopathic medicine for the many symptoms of CFS. They are the BEST!