SUPPLEMENTS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Oct 18, 2002.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I've read several posts that some of you take supplements. Would you mind telling me what you take and why? I really want to do all I can to decrease this pain. It is driving me right up the wall.

And I wanted to thank all of you for the great imformation and encouragement you give. It is more reassuring than you know.

Annette
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I've read several posts that some of you take supplements. Would you mind telling me what you take and why? I really want to do all I can to decrease this pain. It is driving me right up the wall.

And I wanted to thank all of you for the great imformation and encouragement you give. It is more reassuring than you know.

Annette
  3. Information

Information New Member

I have recently had very good experience with a large (500 mg) does of the amino acid l-tyrosine. It is the precursor of the neurotransmitter dopamine. I took the whopping dose thinking it would help with some depression and was very surprised when it reduced FM pain to the point that I could actually sleep that night. I would caution anyone taking such a large dose of any individual amino acid not to take it unless you are also taking a mixed amino supplement like the one made by Country Life. These are inexpensive and work for me, but there are plenty of combinations around. The point is that you don't want to put yourself out of balance. Tyrosine is a very large molecule and should be taken alone for best results with water or fruit juice on an empty stomach in the evening. Another note: the multi-amino supplements no longer contain l-tryptophan and you should get a prescription for this one since that's the only way the FDA will let you obtain it anymore. This one is the precursor of seratonin, and is especially important for depression and FM patients. GOOD LUCK!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Welcome to the board, I have been off for the last three weeks with bad spider bits, tips of fingers is the last to heal.

I take supplements, here is what I take;

Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) for pain and helps with energy. I take one before breakfast and one before lunch.

Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)with lunch.

For; Energy, and clears up the fibro fog too, great for the brain.

Multi Vitamin (General Health)

800 IU of Natural Vitamin E
    For; blood pressure, and immune booster.

Vitamin C 500 IU's
    For; immune booster.
    (I take the 'Ester C as it is gentle on the stomach)

ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium and B-6) for; deep sleep, plus the pain. I take two capsules at night.

Melatonin For sleep also.

All the above are from 'Pro Health', just go to the top of the board were it says 'Store', and you can read about all the supplements that they sell.

I do strongly recommend you addone suppplement at a time, this way if you have a problem with a product, you know which one it is. If you start with too many at once, and something goes wrong, well then you need to stop everything untill you fine out.

I take one for at least 10 days before I add anything else. This works for me.

Also I drink half my weight in ounces of water per day. This has eliminated all my sinus, cluster and migrain headaches in about a months time. Also I don't seem to be as 'Foggy' as I was before the water drinking.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Gardengal

Gardengal New Member

I've just started back on my supplements (don't know why I stopped in the first place) and started to feel better in about a week - but I still have to take it easy on some days, which is better than every day. Anyway - I take:

B complex
    B 12
    time-release C
    zinc (when I can stomach it)
    grape seed oil
    co-enzyme Q10
    fish oil
    magnesium
    maganese
    chondrotan glucosamine (sp?)

Hope this helps! Amy
  6. KS-Nancy

KS-Nancy New Member

I feel supplements have been very instrumental in keeping my fibro under control. I take:

Yeast Defense -- to help control candida yeast overgrowth
    Green Tea -- antioxidant which really seems to help with my brain fog
    Siberian Ginsing -- for energy
    Ginko Bilboa -- for memory and brain fog
    500 mg. of C 4x a day -- to help control asthma & is an antioxidant
    Calcium/magnesium/zinc -- because people with fibro are low in these
    Malic acid --- helps with fibro especially in combo with the magnesium
    flax oil / borage oil/ fish oil -- to help with cholesterol since I can't eat carbohydrates (carbs = pain for me) and so eat a lot of meat.
    B-complex - because other fibromites say it helps
    a good multiple -- because people with fibro don't absorb nutrients as well as others

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2002]
  7. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

The only supplements I take at this time are Milk Thistle, which I bought here. It detox's your liver and keeps it healthy. It cleanses your liver from all the bad things like the meds we take, even the pollution we breathe. There's been lots of good studies done on it and I don't want to loose my liver so I take 2-3 per day. Also take Proteinex. It's a liquid predigested protein, which contains no sugars, fats, or carbohydrates. And it's utilized 100%. I take this because I don't eat (have lost about 30 lbs), and of course I take a multi high potency vitamin/mineral, which was suggested by my pharmacist as being the best for my condition which turned out to be Theragran-M Advanced Formula. That's it for me at this time. I think the Milk Thistle is most important if you take meds.

Regina :)
  8. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I am printing out this page so I can really study and research. I don't have the diagnosis yet (seeing the rheumy on Monday) but in my heart I'm sure I have FM and I want to do everything possible to feel better. And the more I can do naturally without drugs, the better. I have never been one to give up until I've tried EVERYTHING and as long as I have any energy at all, I'll going to continue. You guys are wonderful and I appreciate all of you so much. Thanks again.
  9. fibolady

fibolady New Member

herb formula which has lots of a c e b's biotin, zinc, copper, burdock root, some more. this really helps with my nails and hair. when i go off for more than a month my nails break and hair becomes extremely dry.

skin hair & nail formula
    grapefruit seed oil extract
    calcium with d
    fibertabs
    good all round multi vitamin

have a good weekend everyone!
    warm regards, fibolady