Support Group Report

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by padre, Jun 23, 2008.

1. padre

padre New Member

Some weeks back I asked for suggestions for a support group and got some excellent feedback. I thought I would report.

Everything has gone well with our new group with the exception of one person who thought she was asked to attend to "teach us". Believe me, everyone there has read and studied this DD for a long time. The resentment for this individual was huge.

A very large number came --and went-- until some of us were willing to tell this person that we did not need what she was dead-set on giving.

The group is now doing better without her.

The rule we learned so far? It is better to lose one member than lose them all.

Thank you for the suggestion to bring in outside speakers -- that works. What seems to be best is to have 1/4th formal information and 3/4ths support.

Those now attending feel that the support and information exchanged has been a real help.

Wish us continuedgood luck. Thanks
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

congratulations! My best wishes to you all all your attendees. I am soooo proud of you all.

Please keep us informed; and don't forget to add the SG info to ProHealth so they can add your group to their listings, ok?

We had great luck with acupuncturists, psychologists talking about chronic illnesses and the toll they take on individuals and families, a virologist, etc. Just think of a symptom, and call around to people who would be willing to talk about something in their area of expertise.

We also had a speaker who spoke about nutrition, and gave out great recipes that were easy to make. Fun!

We found out to NOT serve sweets at the meetings, as the feedback was great that they made patients sick.

Let everyone bring their own snack.
    Easier on the group facilitators, too!

Best to all of you....
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad the group is working out. I tried one in my area but the moderators were weak and allowed one "teacher" and one "victim" to take over entire meetings. I decided that it just wasn't for me. I prefer it here but if I had a good group like yours, I would attend and participate in meetings.

Love, Mikie