Sure it hurts....but we need to direct our thoughts elsewhere

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Aug 12, 2003.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

It appears from reading some posts that we all tend to dwell on the negative which tends to escalate our pain even more.
    If we could learn to re-direct our thougts (suggestion may be: go off and read a book, sit outside and watch people go by, etc...) then the focus on how miserable we are feeling isn't so strong and doesn't bring us down as much.
    We may not have keen all 5 senses (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste), but we do have them. There are those people out there who don't have limbs or senses that can never turn back. Let's be grateful for what we do have.
    Soft teddy hugs today and always.

P.S. Do you have everything in life you NEED? If not, post what is missing (other than getting rid of this DD)
  2. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

I agree.

Now that I have said that, I come to this board to hear from people like me not necessarily to complain, but to see if what I am experiencing is isolated, or is widespread. AS crazy as it my seem, it tends to make me feel less "freaked" out when I know there are hundreds of others going through the same experience- B'cause as you know docs cannot and choose not to relate.

Here is what is missing in my life and I would like to spesifically point out the only thing missing in my life besides an airtight relationship with God is my health. HHMMNNNNN...
  3. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Besides illness and lack of monies from buying all the drugs to ease the illness/pain, what's missing in your life that still makes any of us miserable?
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have always thought that way....when I have alot of pain, I have to occupy my mind with some sitcoms on tv. I tape alot of Seinfeld reruns just for this very reason and it WORKS!! I've watched them over and over again and they still make me laugh, and that reduces any pain I might have.

Marilyn :)
  5. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

I too vegg in front of the TV watching my favorit show - The Simpson's. I also read, spend LOTS of time with my 8 cats ie grooming, cuddleing, chatting,making up special treats and hide 'n' seek. My husband has many ways to keep my mind off pain!!!

What I am missing is Money. We are about to loose our beautiful country home because I can not contribute to the income. YOu wouldn't believe how broken my heart is.

Rachel

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2003]
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I'd say no. I want to go to nursing school. I signed up and paid for a cna class that starts next week. After that I want to do volunteer work and enroll in a practical nurse program. I hope I can do it. I am tired of sitting around being sick and sore.
    Kellyann
  7. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I always tell my kids when they come crying about an "owie" to think about a different part of their body and they'll be surprised how the pain becomes less. Of course, every part of our bodies hurts, but the principle is the same. If I'm thinking about FM, I hurt more. I've decided I don't want my self-identity to be "FM sufferer" anymore. I want to be the me I am inside. I have noticed that focusing my attention outward - whether in helping others, reading, watching nature, or whatever - is the best pain reliever there is. On the other hand, when I think about all my problems, I get depressed and miserable. That is not to diminish the incredible suffering that so many of us (others more than I) endure - please don't misunderstand! But since we're all looking for ways to reduce that suffering, I think this is a good thing to point out.
  8. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

when I get back to school in a few weeks. This does keep my mind off of the usual garbage w/this FM. I have trouble sometimes staying awake in class, but if the teacher is cool, I tell them that I work graveyard shift and sometimes I come straigt from work to school. I really dont want to go into the FM thing, not unless it could help someone. I look forward to august 25, 26, get back to my life again. This summer was restful, but you know how that goes... I could rest for 10 years and still be tired!!!! Going for my RN degree has been a blessing for me, I focus on helping other people. When I do get my degree, I will only work part time I would not be able to do fulltime unless a miracle of remission kicked in! God Bless, Iggy