Surgery and flares? anyone else experience long flares after

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by griswoldgirl, Sep 10, 2002.

1. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

surgery?

I have been in one continuous flare for three years now, with one surgery after another. I am scared the knee surgery is going to make it worse.

I still do not feel whole from my spinal surgery in Dec of last year and when I had that surgery I was post op from a hysterectomy just over a year and felt bad before surgery from all the pain.

I am tired of being in a constant flare-it gets old, but I have gotten used to it. I do not remember the last time I went to bed and woke up feeling refreshed-it has been years. I am always pushing just to get out of bed let alone handle all the day to day things that have come up over the last few years-my life has been very stressful.

Now my mind is going I will say something, swear I say it and my children both concur that is not what I said-it is scary. trying to study for my boards and mind is like mush.

I am going to that interview in Georgia after all on Friday-they are flying me to Atlanta and sending a car for me to get to the interview which will be conducted with the help of a wheel chair so I do nto have to walk on my knee. The hospital is aware of my injury and my health problems and still this guyis in love with me and wants me to be added to his team-he is willing to do what ever needs to be done to accommodate me-shorter hours whatever-he says all is negotiable even being on call. He just wants me to take care of the two mountain OB doctors cases and set my appointments with them. Will be fulltime as long as I work 64 hours every two weeks. sound too good to be true, but I am willing to check it out. god has closed all the doors with me loosing my job becasue of the injury etc so this one keeps knocking and knocking and knocking no matter how I try and say no-so I guess i will see what is behind the door-wish me luck.

Surgery is Sept 20th-outpatient orthoscopic surgery-does not sound too bad-we will see-i always bounce back from my other surgeries pretty good-hopefully this will be the same.

cathy
  2. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

surgery?

I have been in one continuous flare for three years now, with one surgery after another. I am scared the knee surgery is going to make it worse.

I still do not feel whole from my spinal surgery in Dec of last year and when I had that surgery I was post op from a hysterectomy just over a year and felt bad before surgery from all the pain.

I am tired of being in a constant flare-it gets old, but I have gotten used to it. I do not remember the last time I went to bed and woke up feeling refreshed-it has been years. I am always pushing just to get out of bed let alone handle all the day to day things that have come up over the last few years-my life has been very stressful.

Now my mind is going I will say something, swear I say it and my children both concur that is not what I said-it is scary. trying to study for my boards and mind is like mush.

I am going to that interview in Georgia after all on Friday-they are flying me to Atlanta and sending a car for me to get to the interview which will be conducted with the help of a wheel chair so I do nto have to walk on my knee. The hospital is aware of my injury and my health problems and still this guyis in love with me and wants me to be added to his team-he is willing to do what ever needs to be done to accommodate me-shorter hours whatever-he says all is negotiable even being on call. He just wants me to take care of the two mountain OB doctors cases and set my appointments with them. Will be fulltime as long as I work 64 hours every two weeks. sound too good to be true, but I am willing to check it out. god has closed all the doors with me loosing my job becasue of the injury etc so this one keeps knocking and knocking and knocking no matter how I try and say no-so I guess i will see what is behind the door-wish me luck.

Surgery is Sept 20th-outpatient orthoscopic surgery-does not sound too bad-we will see-i always bounce back from my other surgeries pretty good-hopefully this will be the same.

cathy
  3. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

both my hysterectomy and spine surgery were not a bad as I thought it would be. Pain is such and everyday part of my life that the added pain was hardly noticed. LOL

cathy
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Being in a Long flare is no fun at all.
    I had 3 surgerys in 18 months, and that is what started the Flare from Hell. My other ones seem so mild to what I went through before being dx.

I had the Crevical Laminetomy in Sept, 92, then in May of 93, I had a Rotator Cuff repair, then in Oct, 93 I had the knee surgery. I thought that I would never get my stregnth back. I went to PT for thoes 18 months plus a couple of months before the neck surgery, so say 2 years for PT and I had made good progress, but never fully recovered.

It took me a long time to beable to bend my knee after the surgery, I went to PT 3 times a week, and the Theraphy helped, I had to ride a bike, and the first time I was able to turn the pedals all the way around in one movement, everyone cheered. lol. After that I walked on the threadmill, did leg lifts with weight's, and had my knee worked on by the Thearphist, who would bend it as far as it would go, it hurt, but it worked, I can now bend the knee.

The bad part is that the knee has torn cartledge again, and my Orthopedic Doc. dosen't think that operating now would be any more benificial than it was the first time.

Plus I have the combo of MPS/FMS, and buckling knees come with the symptoms and I grow scare tissue to fast, so I agree with the Doc.

I hope that you will have a speedy recovery, remember you came through your neck surgery so much better than I did, so you will probably get throught this one also with good results.

The body just needs a little more time to Bounce back, and also with the New job and an Understanding Boss will help also, takes some of the Stress off your mind.
    Just don't push yourself to Hurry up and get Well, it takes time and You can Do It.

So Happy that you are getting a Job that you'll enjoy and will be working with someone who can appericate you and your skill.

Have a Great day, and may it be Painfree for you,
    Sincerely,
    kredca4/sharon
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Maybe someone there can recommend someone for your daughter to see as well. I think you're being rewarded for having the job from hell for so long.

Didn't have either fms nor cfids when I had my surgeries. However, after the 4th or 5th one, I realized the trend for me,,,almost 2 weeks after going under anaesth., I had to go back on anti-depressants. Hadn't made the connection till then, but was puzzled why I could feel it hit hard when everything in my life at that point was going extremely well & I was happy, but whether it was the surg. or the anesth... something sent my chemicals way out of wack.

Something to think about...one of the symptoms of depression is trouble w/ sleep, which of course causes more prob. w/ fms & cfids. All I know is that the following 3 times I went under, I had dr put me back on anti-depress. a month before...I would be even more concerned if I have to have surg. now that I have these DDs.

I'll be sending up lots of prayers for your successful surg. Take care. Michele