Surgery coming up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sh2angel, Dec 26, 2006.

1. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

Hi everyone just wanted to ask for all your prayers on Jan 9th I am having spinal surgery..on my neck they are fusing c5-6 and 7 ...a little nervous about all of it but am hoping for a good out come...I have spinal cord compression and it is causing all sorts of problems for me...so I am hoping it will help...I also have cfs and fibro and multiple chemical stuff and the list goes on and on...but if you could remember me in your prayers on that day I would really like it ....Thanks so much...Shirley
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Shirley~~

I too had the same surgery done two months ago now, but they did 4 of the disks on my neck, including the 2 you are having done! So I can sympathise with your anxiety and for a good outcome. I had a great outcome with mine as far as the right arm and hand working much better than it had in years!!

I too have all the chemical sensitivities to many drugs, anxiety, fear of surgery and a great fear of pain after the surgery. I asked my neuro-surgeon if he had heard about the procedure where they insert an opiate right into the incision before the surgery to lessen the pain afterwards, so he did as I asked, and I had gotten the report from info from the immune support group and tips on surgery for people like us. It did help alot too, and when I came out of surgery I was in alot less pain than I ever imagined!! I went home the very next day and felt better or relief almost immediately on my right side...amazing to say the least!!!

It does take people like us though, longer to recover from any surgery, but with time and patience, you should have a full recovery and then you can do things you haven't been able to do probably for a long time now, right? I know I can!

Do you know if their going to insert a plate in your neck to support it or maybe not do it that way? I have an almost 5 inch plate in my neck, but that is because they did so many disks and I needed that extra support to stabilize my neck for the future.

Good luck with your surgery and if you need anymore questions answered, I'm here if you need. I will definitely keep you in my prayers and well wishes for a full recovery, but you will be fine I'm sure!!

Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Shirley:

Hope that the surgery goes very well and that you do not have any CFS/Fibro or MCS issues. I will include you in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how you are as soon as you can.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  4. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi Shirley,

I will be praying that all goes well with your surgery and that you have a very fast recovery.
    Bob
  5. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Hey Sweetie,
    I am just like Shelby, had from C3 to C7 done in September. I am on my last week of the neck brace. Everything has healed really well and I am much better than I was before.

I didn't have the pain therapy she did, I was on morphine in the hospital and actually was in there longer. My surgery was on Wednesday morning and I went home on Saturday night.

I have had multiple surgeries on my ovaries and a complete hysterectomy. This surgery was not even as bad as the hysterectomy by any means. If you believe in the power of prayer, (I can tell you do) then you will do fine. Prayer and our God can handle your needs in there. You can count me in, but ask as many as possible to be lifting you up those days.

Bless you,

Maia

6. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

Thanks to everyone that answered.. yes they are going to put plates and they are doing a bone graft too from my hip...they have to remove spurs and the narrowing that has gone on in my neck that is causing pressure...spinal stenonis..I am glad to hear it is not that bad the doc told me I would be in the hospital at least 4 days...
  7. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,
    I had C-5,6 and 7 badly damaged by arthritis. My wife found a surgeon for me here in Germany that uses a minimally invasive procedure. The disks were gone and the nerves were pinched. Titanium was put in between the vertabrae to stop the nerve pinching. The doctor operated on me at 8 am and I was out of surgery at 12 noon. At 3 pm I was up and outdoors smoking a cigarette. I left the hospital the next day. No brace, slight pain (controlled with Advil) and able to move freely. I asked the doc what I should not do when I left the hospital and he said I wouldn't suggest that you play football for a month or so. :) That was 3 years ago and I feel fine. Even the bill was unbelievable (covered by insurance) but the total for the hospital, surgery, doctor, everything was $8,800.00. I wish they did this surgery in the US. It was save so much on cost and recuperation time.

Good luck on your surgery and I will pray that you do very well and heal quickly.
    Bob
  8. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I just wanted to comment on how Bob said he wished he had his surgery here in the US because its cost was around $8,000 dollars. Wow..I wish I was over there where you had yours done Bob, my surgery alone cost almost $40,000 dollars, and that didn't include all the Dr's apts afterwards! Hehehehehehe!!

I am glad though, that your surgery went so well and you now have a full recovery with no limits put on you!! My Dr's here said not to smoke after any type of this surgery because it won't heal the fusions as well, and in fact now I've read where some Dr's won't even operate on you if you don't stop smoking first and continue to not smoke! Funny how each Dr. is so different in their treatment plans!

But I did just want to add my two cents worth...for whatever that is worth...hehehehehehe..
    Have a sparkling day, and Shirley, I still and will keep you in my prayers that everything works out just great for you!! Please keep us updated when you can, ok?/!!
    Hugs,
    Shelby
  9. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

One thing I didn't tell you about was the swollen throat. My doc said it would be "irritated", well it's more than irritated. It is swollen for about a month afterwards. I wish someone had warned me so I knew it was coming at least. The first few days were the worst because it would feel like it would close up right as I was waking up from sleep. It frightened me the first couple of times. It was just for a few seconds and as I said only as I would arouse from a nap.

Swallowing is not the same for awhile, just take small bites and drink alot of water with your food.

I just wanted to tell you because I don't like surprises and that was one for me. It is an inconvenience is all, but normal and frustrating. I felt like I had a hole in my throat somehow. Weird sensation.

Also, just a little tip,....I would take a bath and take the brace off and hold very still. My husband or daughter would wash my hair just like we did the little kids in the bath tub, using a pitcher and pouring water over my head to wet the hair and rinse it out. I just covered my face and neck with a washcloth. I had long hair. My daughter would help me with it and we got through just fine.

Get your hair cut and colored before you go in though because it will be awhile before you can lay your head back in a basin at a salon to have it done again. I just got in this week and it's been since Sept. for me.

I poked a hole in a Vitamin E capsule and used that on my scar every day once I got home. It is healing really well. I have heard that honey will do the same, but that's sticky. The vitamin e will just absorb.

Can't think of anything else....praying for you.
    Maia
  10. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

Thank you all for the info...it was great ...yeah the doctor told me that I would have a sore throat for awhile..and maybe really sore because i already have a scar there from having part of my thyriod taken out..the bath idea was great I think I have enough help around here to accomplish that..and I am lucky my husband is a nurse..just hate having surgery but I know it will be of big help...Bob I wish it was as easy as yours but it won't be..but I am holding a good thought...I have to have bone grafts done from my hip so I will have 2 incesions to heal from...I live in California and I do smoke so they won;'t use donor bone because of the change of rejection..so I am working on not smoking and being in the hospital for 4 days will really help that...Thank you all again and I will keep you posted as how things go....thanks so much for the support...Shirley
  11. Pat-45

Pat-45 New Member

I just want to give you a little encouragement. My spinal surgery was lower-L 4-5 and S 1.. Before the surgery I was barely able to walk. Could not move my feet or toes. And had a whole lot of pain...

My surgery was about 7 hours. But I had a wonderful surgeon as soon as I woke up in the recovery room I could move my feet and wiggle my toes!!

I also have the whole alphabet soup.....CFS, FM, IBS, DJD,
    asthma, meniere's arthritis etc...etc...

Try not to let the other stuff worry you ...deal with it later...

wishing you all the best...Pat
  12. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for responding to my post! I meant that I wish the surgery was only 8,800.00 in the US for those without insurance. I was very happy with the price!
    I wish you a wonderful day.
    God Bless,
    Bob
  13. rushword

rushword New Member

Hi, I had surgery on my neck c-2 thru c-7 just 8 days ago. This is the first day I have attempted to get on the computer. I had severe stenosis and spinal cord compression. I had what they call a lamnioplasty. They cut open the c2 thru c7 verterbrae and inserted donor bones to increase the size of my spinal column. They put little mini titanium plates with screws over each of the donor bones. I was in the hospital for 2 days. I went home and my husband and daughter have been helping me alot since I got home. I had morphine at the hospital. The dr sent me home with percocet. I am now down to taking just 1/2 of the percocet a few times a day. Yesterday, I didn't take any percocet,but was still hurting, so today, I cut the percocet in 1/2. I am not used to taking these pain medicines. Causes constipation- be prepared for that. My head feels like it weighs 100 lbs. But each day, my head is not feeling quite as heavy as the day before. I did not anticipate having trouble getting up out of bed, but in the beginning it really hurt to get myself up. Luckily that has gotten much better. Since it has only been 8 days, I really don't know how much discomfort I am going to be left with, but I pray to God everyday for this pain to stop. It has gotten better each day. I am praying for you now also. I was terrified of this surgery. I am so glad I got it done and over with and I'm on the home stretch to recovery. I had 20 stitches taken out today. Wasn't to bad.
    God Bless you!
  14. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

Yes as it gets closer I get more nervous....did they do yours in the back of your neck or the front of your neck..they are doing mine from the front...I am glad that you are on the mend and I sure will say prayers for you that you continue to get better...they are using bone from hip so I will be in awhile long they told me 4 days...or more...I will keep everyone posted ...I go next Friday for all my post op stuff...I am sure I will get really nervous then....Thanks to everyone on the board for all the support..Shirley
  15. rushword

rushword New Member

They did my surgery from the back. I think if they have to cut on more than 3 verterbrae, alot of doctors do it from the back instead of the front. From the front sounds scary. You are in my prayers.
    Hang in there!!!!!!
  16. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I will certainly be thinking of you on the 9th & saying a prayer that things go well. My brother-in-law had this surgery, they operated from the front; he had a long recovery, but the good news is, it totally fixed his pain and he has continued to do well. I know he considers the surgery well worth the recovery, time off from work etc. I will hope yours goes as well!

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2006]