surgery for acid reflux

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neeter1, Jun 8, 2006.

1. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I have severe acid reflux and Barretts esophagus...I am going to talk with a surgeon next week..Has anyone had this surgery? What can I expect?

Thanks to all...

Neeter1
  2. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I have the same things as you. I have not had the surgery but I know someone who had it. She said it was worth it. She had to have a Mannometry first. Ask your Doctor about it. It takes a while after the surgery before you can eat fairly normal. Not to be negative but I have heard that the reflux can come back. I have to take Prilosec and wish I could get off of it. It does work for me though but I have tried everything to get off of it but they didn't work. Anyhow, I had surgery 4 years ago for another abdominal problem and didn't do very well because of the cfs/fibro. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better. Jess
  3. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I was on prevacid and then Medicare took me off of it...I tried prilosec, tagament and something else..they didn't work..finally had to send Medicare my lab results from endoscopy before they would put me back on Prevacid..thanks for the info.

Neeter1
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I had the reflux surgery 8 years ago. The procedure I had was the open Nissen Fundoplication, where they wrap the fundus(sp?) around the esophagus to create a new valve at the top of the stomach. It has been very successful at controlling the reflux. However, because it was the open procedure, rather than endoscopic, it was really tough to recover from and hurt like hell for a while. The options for surgery have improved in recent years to include endoscopic procedures, or merely cauterizing around the inside of the esophagus at the stomach to tighten things up. If I were you, I would ask about those less invasive procedures before going to the open fundoplication.
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i have a friend who had this surgery and he is as happy as larry now . the op was no problem - swallowing the camera was hard on him as it would be anyone.

the best bit for him? he goes out to have a full cooked breakfast once a week lol
  6. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I had a consult with a gastro guy and he recommeded the endoscopic surgery..I go see a surgeon in about a week to discuss what he will do. Thank you for the info!!
  7. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

It really helped almost immediately. I have some heartburn now that I have been having the fibro symptoms and am taking medications, but mostly it was great. In the hospital a few hours and able to come back to work the next day.
  8. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

Thank you for the info..if he doesn't mention it I will..In a way, I dread any kind of surgery..but..on the other hand am anxious to get this done..does that make sense?
  9. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I know what you mean about the burning..in my sleep I will vomit and it comes out my nose..so both airways are closed. It's panic time when that happens and then it burns on top of it and it's hard to clear out.