surgery for sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by andrea1459, Mar 13, 2006.

1. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

I know I've posted this before, but I wanted to know if anyone on this board has had the sleep apnea surgery where they remove tonsils and tissue from the soft palette. I have had 4 opnions all saying yes do the surgery.I could not tolerate the CPAP machine. I am 23 and not overweight or anything like that. They think that my tonsils are restricting my airway. Just wanted to see if anyone has been through this. They say 3 weeks for a normal person to recover, so Im thinking maybe 6 weeks for me.

2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey Andrea!

My DH had this surgery about 4 years ago. He also could not tolerate the cpap machine.

The ENT said he was surprised DH could breath at all. His nose was bent one way, and then the other, and the doc said it should have caused him to only be able to breath through his mouth!

They took a lot of soft pallette, his tonsils and adnoids, the hangy downy thing in the back of his throat, and fixed his nose. The first thing he said when he got out of recovery is "I can breath!"

However, even though he is a real tough guy, he said the recovery was the worst thing he had ever experienced. He explained it as having a red hot charcol brickette in his throat, not the cheap kind, Kingsford! Even when he hurts he has a sense of humor! He also has a problem with choking that he didn't have before.

His sleep apnea was better for about two years. Now he is pretty much back where he was.

I worry about him, but he said he would never have the surgery done again!

I'm sorry this is so unhelpful, but his experience was not good.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

I was reading that the snore stop spray can help sleep apnea.

you spray it in your throat and can't eat or drink anything for 30 mins.

Of course if you're going to sleep, you wouldn't be needing to drink anyway.

Just a suggestion to try. Surgery is always a last resort. Try everything else first.

Kendra
  4. motherof2nky

motherof2nky New Member

I could copy and paste just about all of "Greenbeans" post as my own. The only thing different is my husband did not have anything done to his nose.

Really scares me when he does that choking thing. Since the surgery he has that problem sometimes when he eats or drinks.

The surgery helped him for about 15 years. About 2 years ago he had to have a sleep study. He is now using a cpap machine. It took him a good 6 to 8 weeks to adjust to it. Now he won't go anywhere without it.

When he wakes up he feels rested and not so tired. The last five years he has gained a lot of weight and he has a think neck, not sure if this has caused some of the apnea or not.

He has never said anything against the surgery.

Have a good evening!

Motherof2nky

5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

If they tell you that the tonsils and the surgery can clear your problem, then it is ANATOMY AND NOT FAT.

My husband is thin, but has a receeding chin and he has sleep apnea but refuses to accept it. His sister has to use a CPAP. I am fat and the fat is my APnea problem but I use the CPAP.

My son had the largest TONSILS I HAVE EVER SEEN. THAT IS SOMETHING FOR ME TO SAY, SINCE I GAVE THE ANESTHETICS FOR WELL OVER 300 tonsils, and probably gave the anesthetics with intubation required, for probably 8,000 patients during my career.

When he was a child, they were having this big yes/no controversies over tonsils. Finally, they said they needed to come out but HE TOLD US HE WOULD RUN AWAY FROM HOME. I let him intimidate us. I should have just slipped him a sedative in his orange juice and have had it done. CHILDREN GET OVER IT VERY EASILY.

ADULTS, HOWEVER, DO NOT. I HAD MINE DONE AT 19 AND THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE.

My son was an Officer on a Sub, and he snored so badly and stayed infected in the throat and the sinuses. He kept other sailors awake!!!!!!! Finally, the military ORDERED HIM TO HAVE HIS tonsils out.

I thought his wife and I were going to have to have BODY ARMOUR TO DEAL WITH HIM. HE TURNED INTO SOMETHING THAT RESEMBLED THE EXORCIST. He refused to take his medicine. I stood my ground and told him that he was going to take his antibiotic and HIS PAIN MEDICINE, IN LIQUID FORM, OR ELSE. IF I HAD TO CALL HIS COMMANDING OFFICER AND HAVE HIM ORDER HIM. He took it but was MEAN.

Then, about the fifth day, he began to feel human and then at three weeks he said it WAS WONDERFUL. HE COULD BREATHE, NO LONGER OBSTRUCTED AND DIDN'T SNORE.

The procedure is unpleasant, but IT CAN CURE IT. JUST BE SURE TO GET AN EXPERIENCED, GOOD DOCTOR, AND TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDICATION EVERY 4-6 HOURS, DON'T WAIT TILL IT WEARS OFF, DRINK PLENTY OF SIPS OF COLD LIQUIDS AND HUMIDIFY THAT ROOM, OR SIT IN THE SHOWER WITH THE MIST. Keep the humidity as high as possible and keep the little sips, AND THE PAIN MED.

You can make it through and you will feel so much better than before.
  6. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I also had the surgery because I couldn't tolerate the CPAP. I'm also on the small side 5'1 125lbs. My Dr told me there was a 50/50 chance that my sleep apnea could be cured. I was really desperate and thought even the remote possibility of feeling better was worth it.

The recovery was really awful as every one has said, I actually had 5 procedures done. My tonsils and uvula removed, corrected deviated septum, shortened palate and tongue ablasion.

Unfortunately It did not help me. What I would suggest is get a copy of your records. I requested my records only after my second sleep study and what I found strange was that even on the first sleep study there were no obstructive apneas noted. My apnea/hypopnea index was 24 per hour.

From what I'm reading now it seems more of what they call "alpha intrusion" which alot of people with fibromyalgia are noted to have. I am not having any stage 3 or 4 sleep. I don't think an obstruction is or was the culprit.

Your situation may be different but I do suggest getting a copy of your records and discussing them with your Dr. I know the feeling of desperation and from my own experience I was not able to really think it through.

I hope my post didn't confuse you further, good luck and hope you feel better soon, Ritatheresa

7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

andrea1459:
    There is also a procedure where an ENT doc can laser down your tonsils. You might have to go three or four times, but slowly they whittle it down. It is LAUP and I do not remember what it stands for. It has been about seven years since I read about it. I am not sure if insurances cover it, but I just wanted you to know about it. Good luck with whatever you do and if you get the surgury I hope you recover rapidly.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  8. msmac

msmac New Member

What did you not tolerate about the CPAP? The "masks" come in about 30 different designs other than just nasal prongs. If that was your problem, PLEASE rethink surgery and use of a different "mask." The nasal strips that are clear and for sensitive skin have given me enough relief to wait a bit longer before I go CPAP, but am exploring this also. (I have been a mouth breather/snorer since a child.) With the strips I can breathe through my nose, and do, and no snoring. It was such a relief not to wake up sweating and choking cause I had stopped breathing. Good luck, keep us informed of your efforts and plans!
  9. janieb

janieb New Member

After the testing they discovered I stopped breathing about once a minute for up to 38 seconds at a time. My husband discovered the problem. I tried the cpap machine, but took it off all night and kept putting it back on. Finally agreed to the surgery. I did NOT find it very painful. Took a couple of days off work and that was it. Like many others, my build does not suggest a problem, however, I did have my tonsils out at an early age. I'd have it done again in a heart beat.

Mary
  10. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

my 6 yr old son is having snoring, gasping, thrashing at night....the doc says he has huge tonsils....just today he had surgery to remove his last ear tube and we discussed removing thr etonsils....i was feeling so worried bout the recovery...i have heard it is awful from other parents....it sounds like we would be doing him a favor by doing this as young as possible, though....

his breathing is alarming...he seems tired alot...i thinkg he isn't getting any rest at night....

anyone had their tonsils out as a young child?
  11. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

heres what the report says (dont mind my spelling)
    the sleep analysis demonstrated a rapid sleep onset from stages 1-4 there was normal sleep. There was an increased REM latency and a reduced percentage of REM sleep
    during nonrem sleep the breathing pattern demonstrated moderate sleep disordered breathing, characterized predominately by obstructive apneas and hyponeas. baseline oxygen saturation was normal and there was a mild fall in oxygen with every disordered breathing event. the minimun oxygen saturation during NONREM sleep is also noted. during REM sleep, the breathing pattern demonstarted severe sleep disordered breathing chracterized by obsturctive apneas and hypopneas.
    the polysonogram was consistent with a diagnosis of moderate apnea

they think surgery is best for me because i have mechanical obstructions..with the cfs i have its going to take me alot longer to recover than normal people
    but if it helps my fatigue a little that will make a big difference to me
    andrea