SURGERY soon.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I give up. I am going to let the ortho doc cut into my left hand to release the tendon below my thumb, and the one to my ring finger that is triggering.

Nothing I've tried has helped enough. The pain is never completely gone and I have limited mobility in that left wrist. The finger 'triggers' and sticks at the worst moments. DARN!!

I'm feeling soooo GUILTY at being gone from work for 4 to 6 weeks, especially since I am leaving this job in June. I've been promised a substitute school nurse to cover my office, but I still feel awful about being gone.

I could wait until July to have the surgery, but I've put up with this pain as long as I can, I think. Having the surgery in July might make it difficult for me to find another job, too. Can you imagine walking into a job interview wearing bandages or a splint? Could very well lose me a job! (I know they can't discriminate, but it could sway a decision...)

I've tried so many different things to heal this wrist and finger, but nothing has given me lasting relief, nothing has cured it. Surgery is my last option.

So how do I get rid of the guilties????

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Beth, You are doing the right thing! You said it yourself, you have put up with the pain as long as you can. There is nothing wrong with taking time off for necessary treatment.

We all have a tendency to feel guilty in these situations and to worry about others. Take the time to look after yourself for now. You deserve it. Your rationale about the new job also makes perfect sense.

Take Care and I hope you have an easy time with the surgery.

Kathy.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

We aren't taught that it's okay to take care of ourselves or get what we need. I would think it must be even worse for a nurse who is always taking care of others.

One that helps me is to imagine that I am someone else - perhaps one of my children or a good friend - how would I treat that child or friend if they were in this situation? And immediately I start to feel a sense of compasion for myself and realize that it's okay to do what I need to do. You're not being selfish or a bad person for getting your hand fixed.

Are you Catholic by any chance? (lol - I was raised Catholic, and we are the queens of guilt)

Mary
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

on the surgery and how you are doing...I'll pray that your recovery is quick and lasting. Terri
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

These tendon things can be really painful. I have one in the left thumb area that bothers me, cannot grip a jar etc. I am right handed. I think about this too, so do let me know how you feel after.

Love Anne C
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I go in for the same surgery on the 14 th....Tried every thing .shots ...braces...nothing help so surgery...

My doctor told me that its a small incision and two days after the bandages come off and they put a small one and encourage you to use it ..I don't work anymore but I do watch my 9 month old grand daughter....Ill be keeping her 2 days after surgery doctor said Great it will get it moving.........I hope he is not telling me the wrong thing ...LOL I trust him...

Well good luck to you......I hope all goes well for you...

Sue
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

could I get such wonderful support! You are all so right, I will stop feeling guilty, and focus on feeling better. Thank you for all your responses!

My surgery is scheduled for March 17, not sure what time yet, as other surgeries will also be scheduled for that day. I like that it will be in a surgery center, not in the hospital.

I am actually feeling less stressed now that the decision has been made and I am moving forward. I'll have a couple of difficult days after the surgery, but then I can look forward to feeling better.

I had similar surgeries on my right hand in December 2003, so I know what to expect.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Hugs,
    Beth.
  8. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I had DeQuervain's tenosynovitis, and had surgery for it. Is this what you have? (besides the trigger finger?)

It was very easy surgery, I had a local for it and was back to work in about 4 days with just a bandaid over the incision. The incision is only about 3/4" long. My Dad had alot of trigger finger surgeries which didn't keep him down for long either.

Hey, we feel guilty about enough stuff already, you can't help it if you have these things going on!

I really doubt you'd need to be out of work for such a long time.

Hope this helps!!

Maggie
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

yes, it's DeQuervain's. Hmmm, interesting that you had such an easy surgery and this one is such a big deal. Last time, on my right hand, the doc did a DeQuervain's release, a trigger finger release, and a carpal tunnel release. Because it was so much, they kept me off work 6 weeks. I'm hoping for the 4 weeks, not 6, this time.

Last time it really did take me awhile to get full use of my hand again. I can't really go back on 'light duty', as I am on the keyboard much of my day, and using my hands to work with students much of the rest of it. My doc told me light duty means typing one-handed... ha, ha.

Well, I hope you are right. This is worker's comp, though, and they have strict guidlines to follow. It'll all work out as it needs to. I just need to let it play out.

I'm very glad your surgery worked well for you and for your dad!!

Peace,
    Beth.