Surgery upcoming

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyDragon, Feb 12, 2003.

1. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

I have read that fibro usually rears its ugly head after surgery or trauma. What about having surgery after diagnosis? Can anyone tell me their experiences? Did the pain worsen? How long did it take to heal?
    I'm Having orthoscopic knee surgery...... with a 6 week recovery time, but have to go back to work 5 days after surgery..... would like suggestions/input...... please.
  2. tes

tes New Member

I have had fm for about 9 years(I am 31). I was in rough shape for a long time and then I started to feel better. I had a cersearan section in 1998 and 2000 with the birth of my kids. I must say the pain has gotten worse and I feel it in more places. I don't know if the surgeries made it worse.
    God Bless.
  3. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

4. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

Would really like some input....... can anyone help me, please?
  5. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

I had surgery last yr to remove scar tissue from my chin (on the inside of my mouth). I was in severe pain after the surgery in my jaw for 3 wks-it seemed as tho that was my only focus of pain. Then the very day that the pain in my jaw lessened I became aware of the pain thru out the rest of my body, which was severe. I attempted to return to work 2x, but had to stop because the pain in my body increased. I had a very bad flare that lasted about 3mos w/out relief, but I think there were other contributing factors (I lost my job, became very depressed, etc.). I hope that you will not have such a long recovery. Try to get as much rest as possible after your surgery & be sure you have relief from pain. Do not push yourself past your limits.
    ***Pixie***
  6. kgg

kgg New Member

I think you are very smart to raise this question. Are they going to use a local anesthesia or general? That would make a difference. I don't have experience with this, but somewhere midst my fibro fog I recall reading an article about preparing for surgery. It might have been in the fibromyalgia network newsletter. Perhaps they have it still in their archives. Good luck.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was before I was at my worst with my illnesses. My bicep tendon ruptured and had to be repaired and the recovery period was a year. The surgery involved two incisions and the doc had to drill into bone. I was in rehab for quite a while.

Surprisingly, I did not flare following the surgery; however, to this day, including right now, the arm can become very painful, especially in a flare.

You are in my prayers and I hope all goes well.

Love, Mikie
  8. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

9. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

Would still like some input on the type of meds to ask for after surgery. Am now going into a flare from worrying... just my luck... lol
    Thank you to everyone that replied above.
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My personal feeling is that we FMers tend to take longer to heal after the impact of surgery. This doesn't mean to avoid surgery, just to realistically look at the recovery process & allow more time for it.

I do not take pain drugs for FM, but you better believe I took my vicodin for pain after some gynecological surgery this summer! I figured, if I could control the post-trauma pain effectively, I would be less likely to get the FM flare, and it worked for me.

Good luck; I wish you had more than just 5 days to recover, I think you may need it. But don't be afraid of the surgery, just be realistic about recovery.

Hugs,
    Pam
  11. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

I had been having problems with my neck and shoulder area,for 2 or 3 yrs. and I started going to doctors trying to find out what was wrong.I wanted the pain to go away,it was getting to me really bad,having trouble concentrating at work and away from work due to the pain.Well here goes what happened next.I went from doctor to doctor Neuro-surgeons.Well 1st I was diagnosed with bilateral carpel tunnel.So had I had both wrists operated on,didn't help my problems in shoulder and neck.Then was sent to another doctor he said I had a torn rotar cuff so I had shoulder surgery,very painful.I seemed to have healed fine from the surgery but symptoms got worse.So went to another doctor in same office,another neuro-surgeon well my MRI showed protrusion of disc 5/6 so he said my problem had to be in my neck.I just wanted the pain to stop,so I had cervical fusion on my neck.This was all in about 2 to 2 1/2 yrs.Well after the neck surgery I only got worse.My legs got really weak and started having problems with my hips.I finally found another rheumy and he said my problems were caused by Fibro,finally a real diagnosis but a little late.I really don't know your situation but wanted to fill you in on mine.I don't really know what to tell you,I guess noone can tell you what to do,but I wish I wouldn't have had any surgeries.Maybe get 2nd or 3rd opinion,before being operated on.I wish you all the luck in the world.Take Care! ((((HUGS))))Beth