Surgery Went Well

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, y'all. Have missed getting here. It's not because I've been down and out; it's because I've either been busy or sleeping. I am doing my rehab exercises twice a day and trying to work up to the twenty-five reps for each one. Yeah, sure! If memory serves, and often it doesn't, I never made it to twenty-five when I had the other knee done. I've only just started and I'm doing ten reps of each one. I will try to squeeze out two more each day. I'm feeling the burn just thinking about it.

The surgery was on Tues. and on Wed., I had tickets to take my daughter and Andy down to the hockey arena for a "Thomas the Train and Friends" live stage show. We stopped at Wal Mart first and I got one of those chemical instant-cold bags to ice up the knee. We had floor seats and the persons in front of us didn't show so I was able to put the leg up to ice it. Of course, I didn't mention this to the doc or nurses. As soon as we got home, I went to bed and elevated and iced the knee. No harm, no foul.

I ended up having to drive them to the airport later that day as the flights for the next day were oversold. Flying free is great but it can be a real challenge. It's the left knee so it doesn't keep me from driving. When I had the right knee done, I still drove. I just used the left leg for the brake. Yesterday, I had to go out to run errands and shop for groceries. I came home and rested. Seems as though a combination of being active, doing rehab exercises, and resting a lot is the recipe for healing. Yesterday, I could still smell meds coming out of my body in my sweat. Yikes!

I had the same anesthetist as the other knee surgery and again, I came out of it feeling great. My doc is one of the best in the area and their surgical center is the best one I've ever been in. They are big into minimal-invasion techniques. My incisions are only about a quarter of an inch across. If it weren't for the slight bruising, I'm not sure I could find them. They fade into the wrinkles around the knee and you can't even tell there was ever surgery performed.

There is a bit more pain this time as there was more OA and that means more smoothing of the bone. I never filled the Vicodin Rx as I have my own stash. I ended up not needed it anyway. A little ibuprophen is adequate. There was a tear in the meniscus and the doc cut it out. The knee is stronger and more flexible each day. All in all, things couldn't have gone any better.

Thank you all, my dear friends, for your kind good wishes and prayers. Sending you all hugs of thanks and keep you in my prayers too.

Love, Mikie
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

That's great lady, it is amazing what they can do nowdays, almost drive threw surgery. Glad you had your family there, did you make the play?

Good to hear you are getting better and can figure out what your going to fix next? Maybe painting with smaller brushes :) take care Carla
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm SO happy for you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!!!!!!!

4. JimB51

JimB51 Member

I'm glad to hear that your surgery went so well. Sounds like you're wasting no time getting back out there. Your balancing act between exercise,ice and rest seems to be working and just what you need right now. It's nice that your family is close.
    Nice to have the surgery finally over with huh?

Now, don't you over due it girl!
    (You can't work the cash register when you're sitting on the floor) lol

Reminds me of Daylight's post titled "LIFE"
    -- About growing old..
    #3. When you fall down, you wonder what else can I do while I'm down here?
    LOL sooo true! LOL again!

Glad you got a few lines from Shirl. She Most Definitely needs our prayers.

Well anyway, keep taking care of your knee my friend.
    ... and leave that bathroom alone! (for now) : ) Jim

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2009]
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad you are doing pretty well, even if you haven't been getting to ALL the reps of your exercises.:) Sorry you have more pain. However, as someone else said, try not to overdo it. When you get to feeling better you can come and do my bathroom, OK ?? :) !!(te he)

Take it easy kiddo.

[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2009]
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

So nice to read that your surgery went so well, and that you were able to do fun things with the family.

PT is rough but I know you'll keep at it.
    Hope todays not to painfull, seems like to me the first 3 days are the hardest, mainly the after OP Pain, then it gets better, :eek:0

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you all so very much for your good wishes, encouragement, and prayers. As y'all know, I keep everyone in my prayers every day.

This is what this board is all about, supporting one another. It has meant the world to me.

Every day the knee gets stronger and more flexible. The pain is minimal.

Again, thank you all. I will try to put my pic with Andy from the "Thomas the Train" show in my profile if I can figure out how to resize it to fit. For the hot, humid summer, I'm letting my hair go wild and native--much easier than trying to keep a do.

Love, Mikie
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Great news!! Keep it up. The leg that is, LOL!!

9. jmq

jmq New Member

It is so good to hear from you. i have been away again and just saw your post. I am glad to hear the surgery was done, was sucessful and out of the way. Now you need to rest and be a good girl and not go do any dancing for a while.

Let us know how your recouperation goes.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Knee continues to do well. I see the doc on Fri. Hope to join the Seniors water aerobics over at the pool after that. They are from my age on up to quite elderly. They are a fun group and I've been meaning to get serious about the water aerobics for some time.

You guys are the best! I keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Love, Mikie

BILLCAMO New Member

25 Reps , hhhuuuhhhhh ,

& hhhhhhhmmmm

I can only speak for myself and a few others....I only have 20 fingers & toes and often get lost up to & after the count of 10. ;>) lol

Blessings ,

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm laughing because as I lay on the floor doing these tortuous exercises, one hand is curling fingers under and back up to keep track of the reps. Well, I've decided that physical therapists are sadists (sorry if anyone here is a PT :) I think that ten reps is quite adequate to get the knee back into shape. After all, the reason to do them is to prevent scar tissue and restore flexibility, not to build muscle. I have always had strong leg muscles and ten reps will get them back to pre-op strength.

Yesterday, I didn't do them at all. I skpped a few days last time when I felt I had overdone it the day before and it didn't alter the recovery that I could tell. I wasn't just sitting around. I started some deep cleaning, just a few things at a time. My sofa is a true slipcover sofa. It is white twill cotton and came with a factory-made slipcover. I took it off and washed it. The parts which show have to be ironed, so I did that. It's difficult because that sofa is oversized. The slipcover must be put back on slightly damp in order for it to stretch over the contours of the sofa. It fits perfectly and if one didn't know it, one would never guess it has a removable slipcover. If the slipcover ever gets too old or ruined, the sofa underneath can be used. Never thought I'd like a white sofa but I love it. That was a HUGE job I've been waiting to do after my little Hurricane Andy came through.

Love, hugs, and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Soooo glad and relieved you are doing well!! I have been thinking and praying for your smooth recovery. I tried checking on you several days last week, but I think the last day was Friday am. Goofy timing, I must gotten off the board right before you posted. LOL!

It sounds like you had an amazing surgeon and anesthetist. So glad! Sorry there is a bit more pain this time, although the fact that you didn't even have to take your Vicodin after your surgery and only needed Ibuprofen is incredible. Wow, I don't think I've ever heard anyone only needing an OTC pain reliever after surgery.

I'm glad you are able to be active some. That's really helpful to not feel like you are under "house arrest". I'm so thrilled that this has gone so smoothly. I'm glad your family was with you too and that you had some quality time with them. We'll look forward to the Thomas the Train pic with Andy if you can figure it out. Sometimes computers cooperate and sometimes they don't!

As everyone as said, don't overdo it, and that includes the PT exercises! Just do what feels right for you. (That's my humble opinion anyway. ;-))

Warm hugs and prayers to you always.

Love, Erika

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks again for your sweet thoughts and good wishes. Hmmmm, don't I wish I had what it takes to be a Rockette :)

I tried to downsize my pic to get it into my profile and that still didn't work. It's a .JPG format but for some reason, my profile doesn't relaize it's in the right format and keeps asking for a different format. I hate to keep asking PH to do it for me. They are so busy.

This morning, the electrician came out to install the 10 outdoor light fixtures on our condo bldg. I decided to save him some time, and save us some money, and remove the old lights before he got here. I dragged my step stool around and removed all ten. That probably saved us about $70. I turned off the breakers and just cut the wires and took them down. I had to unscrew the lids to remove the old fluorescent bulbs to use in the new fixtures. Then, I removed the plastic lenses to recycle and put the fixtures into a box and took them down to recycle too. Finally, I broke down all ten boxes and packing cardboard and hauled it down to our dumpster/recycle center. I picked out black weathered wrought iron fixtures which look like lanterns hanging from a curled wrought iron strap. They have rain glass in them. They really pop on our gray and white bldg. I could have wired them myself but the builder didn't put the original ones up properly. I don't have a masonary drill bit and just decided it was worth it to have it done. My cohorts in crime on the condo assn. board agreed with me.

Oy! I think I deserve to rest for the remainder of the day. I took a little ibuprophen before I started and am icing the knee. When it warms back up, I'll do the rehab, within reason. It was a bit tender this morning after working six hours yesterday. This week, I'm working Sun. and Mon. for a total of only seven hours. I open the store both days and leave before 11:00. The store is dead and we are down to barebones personnel and hours. I look at it as a chance to get some things done around the condo and to rest a lot and go to the pool. I see the doc tomorrow and should be able to swim after that.

Again, thank you sooooo much. It's wonderful to have such nice friends here. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

Love, Mikie
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

Mikie, I'm impressed with your rate of recovery... and/but echoing the thoughts of others to pace yourself! Sorry to congratulate your success so late, but I've been offline yet again for too long.

Ice is SO nice, isn't it!

take care mi amiga!

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your sweet thoughts. I still can't kneel on the kneecap but that is normal for quite awhile. I went over to the pool and worked it out. Yesterday, I woke at 4:00 a.m. feeling lousy. I still don't feel great but much improved today.

I'm getting a stone countertop in the kitchen and had to run to Lowe's for a new faucet. I go into the office tomorrow to get the estimate. I like this place better than Lowe's but it will depend on the final cost. I got tired of lying around and did a few little, easy chores around here. I feel better if I can accomplish even something small. That's one reason I know I've healed a little. I used to be content to just lie there when I was not on top of my game. I don't overdo it now, but I do have a wee bit more energy, even when I'm not feeling my best.

How are things in Mexico? I hope all is well. My Spanish is suffering because I haven't been studying at home and haven't been working enough to use it much. You must be quite fluent. It's so good to hear from you. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

I know, I feel the same way... I can usually do something when it gets to the point at least of that's all I can think of. Except sometimes it results in almost a mania. For some reason, ever since I had mono for a year complete with meningitis from it, 'messes' get on my nerves when I don't feel good. Oddly this can result in a surge of energy - so I'm never sure exactly if I'm really feeling okay that day and should be doing something, or not!

LOL I am in no way fluent... in fact I think my English is suffering as I am really speaking Spanglish; in my case, very simplified English (what would be called 'pidgeon) AND a Spanish accent/pronunciation of many very similar words.

Once in a tourist area I had a very difficult time getting Ibuprofen because I pronounced it 'our' way... but when finally I realized it was said (phonetically): 'eeboprofeen' & with an extra 'a' at the end, people understood.

Take hehehehe... translated phonetically it would be jijijiji.... wonder if that does get used?

Well, many who have worked in the US/Canada also speak very good Spanglish. It does work pretty well for most things LOL!

I'll bet you're looking forward to fall by now... no hurricanes so far, that I've heard of at least, TG!

all the best,

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If we can't think of the word in Spanish, we try English and pretty soon, we are mixing it up. When we are staffed up in the wintertime, we have baggers from Haiti who speak a form of French. Every now and then, I'll speak half in Spanish and half in French. Oy! One of our baggers from Cuba speaks French and Spanish but very little English. He understands me. This is truly getting to be a melting pot.

Most Latinos think it's great that I try to speak Spanish and they help me learn. A few laugh because they have never heard Spanish coming out of such a pasty white Gringa. A few, though, have worked so hard to learn English that they do not want to speak Spanish with me. Some Gringos resent hearing Spanish spoken and will tell anyone around them that "this is America where we speak English!" Many more, though, think like I do--what an opportunity to learn another language while I work.

My hours have been drastically cut. Basically, I've just been opening the store on weekends and leaving early. That gives me five days off in a row. I'm getting a lot done. Not much money in it but I view it as vacation time off to enjoy myself and get things done around here. I think this is the first time in nine years that I've had the time and energy to clean up some of the old paperwork which piled up when I was too sick to deal with it.

Of course, it's hot and humid here but by this time of year, I've acclimated to it. By next month, we will all be chomping at the bit for fall weather. It usually doesn't get really nice until after Halloween. It's nice to have a quiet season for hurricanes but Charley didn't hit until Aug. 13th, after a quiet spell. Soooo, I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

Next month, the kids and I are going down to Key Largo. They will go diving for the day and Andy and I will hang out at the hotel pool and beach. He's practicing using his snorkel. I hope he can master it so we can snorkel in the shallow water. He's only four but he seems to be able to do just about anything. He skis, swims like a fish, and races around on his little Razor scooter at home. They got him a big trampoline to let him jump off some of his energy. The kids are in their 40's and it isn't like when I had kids in my 20's. In Dec., I plan on skiing on the bunny slopes with him. I'll wait until he is diving before I dive. I am certified but haven't been in years.

Well, that's about it from here. Sooooo good to hear from you. I keep you and yours in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  19. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so glad that the surgery went well for you and you are doing better all along. I haven't been here in so long. It is such a long story...mainly such pain. Anyway, I will try to learn how to get around on I hope that you haven't forgotten me!

Love, Mari (MamaR)
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I'll put in an extra prayer and hope it helps.

Had a setback with the knee and saw the doc. He injected it and told me to slow down. It's good to hear from you even though I wish you were doing better. Take care of yourself.

Love, Mikie