Surgical Precaution

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Yucca13, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I haven't posted for quite a while, but thought this was important enough to mention.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy with rectocele and cystocele repair on January 30 and discharged myself on Feb 1.

I told my surgeon that my pain management doctor was going to take care of my pain management. That request was ignored. I don't know yet what I was being given when I woke up (records are being sent) but my lower back was in excruciating spasm and they would not give me anything adequate for the pain.

At home I take a 4 mg. Dilaudid in the am and pm and have a 50 mcg. Duragesic patch. This is for everyday getting out of bed and functioning somewhat like a normal person. When my back goes into spasm I am not a happy camper and that hospital and surgeon all ignored my pleas. I am going to bug them a lot for a form that states that the pain management doctor sign a form with the surgeon stating who is in charge of pain meds.

It was an awful experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. I am still furious that it happened and could have been avoided.

Don't be an idiot like me and "trust" that the surgeon will do the right thing if you have a pain management doctor. Make sure they are on the same page and preferably in writing. I was told after I got out of there that I could have called anesthesiology to the room. When I asked for a patient advocate I was ignored. The whole thing was a fiasco as far as pain management. Now, let's hope the surgery was done correctly. I chose this doc because he was the most experienced in the area.

Val
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with this surgery; I can't understand why your doctor didn't subscribe to your verbal request for pain management! Many people are put on morphine drip and can control the dose to a certain extent to meet the need for their pain level. I'm surprised that you wouldn't have been put on that (unless you are allergic to opiates).

The procedure could cause the pain that you are describing because of positioning during surgery. I've had the bladder / cystocele repair along with repairing a prolapsed uterus and it is painful. Because I chose to have a spinal block instead of general anesthesia, I saw everything that they did pretty much except where the draped covered. My legs were put in an inconceivable position and knees were bent quite a bit - I could never do it by myself! I know that my lower back had a lot of pressure, I couldn't feel the pain but the pressure was terrific! After the surgery, I had a lot of lower back pain too.

I hope that your surgery turns out well. Mine has, and I'm really happy that I had it.

I agree with your warning to others to make sure that understandings are made very clear. It's so important!
  3. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Even after two weeks, I'm still feeling very unenergetic so have been doing a lot of reading, crosswords puzzles, petting my kitties, etc. from bed. I get up and putter around for a while each day.

I read your bio - I will turn 60 in March. Yikes!

Thank you for the information about the leg positioning. I guess I don't even want to know what that must be like. Sure did aggravate my very sensitive lower back. It hurt the worst until a couple of days ago.

I spoke with a new-to-the-hospital lovely patient advocate and she checked out a lot of my concerns and got back to me promptly.

I'm pushing to talk with someone in person from administration so that maybe a form can be developed that the surgeon and pain management doctor can sign and put in the patient's chart so that adequate pain meds are used. It is pretty sad when you have to beg your husband to make a trip to bring your pain meds from home just so you can survive the hospital ordeal. I'm still steaming about the unnecessary pain and will do what I can so that it doesn't happen again.

I admire your working through all of your physical challenges. I went on disability a few years ago. Most of the time I stay pretty active unless I run into a flare that knocks me down for a while.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place for the coming years. I wish you the best. :)
    Val