SURVEY - 3 most bothersome symptoms and

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kim, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

What are your three most bothersome symptoms AND what do you do to help them? I'm hoping sharing this info will help others, especially those new to this or new to the board.

1. Dizziness - I walk every day and try to loosen up my back, neck, and head muscles with massage.

2. Depression - Remeron, therapy, flax, fish oil, supplements.

3. Pain in back and neck - hot tub, massage, Valium, magnesium w/ malic acid, tylenol, trigger point therapy.

kim
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

1. Deep sleep; Xanax(.25 mg) at 7pm ZMA (2 capsules) at 9pm Melatonin 2 1/2 mgs right before bed.

2.Morning fogginess: On cup of very strong coffee, then a bottle of water.

3. Fatigue; Have found no help.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There are a couple of previous surveys on this same subject. If you search previous posts at top of page you should find them.

1. Drastic, nasty change in personality = taking progesterone drops helps some, staying away from most people helps more.

2. Loss of mental function = thyroid med helps some, also doing crosswords, reading and watching Jeopardy stimulate new brain connections.

3. Insomnia = Xanax, Phenergran, Benadryl, and Catapres help me get to sleep. Main problem is waking up for 3 hrs. in middle of night and nothing seems to help that.

Klutzo
  4. klarry

klarry New Member

1. Poor sleep
    I try to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each day, no exceptions. Use a noise machine to deaden other noises. Sleep on an air filled mattress with a Cuddle Ewe on top. I also limit liquids in the evening.
    2. Fatigue
    I am not very successful here. I find, however, that fatigue is sometimes exacerbated by mild depression, so I try to keep my mind occupied.
    3. Constant aches and pains - neck, lower back, legs, etc.
    Sensitivity to drugs means that I must avoid most pills. I do take a very low dose of Advil on occasion. The rest of the time I combine gentle excercise, topical rubs, and heat and cold therapy. I shall try massage later on this week.

By the way I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia twenty years ago.
  5. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

1. Fatigue - nothing helps except to lie down flat

2. sleep problems - constant waking, nasty dreams; Ambien helped but I don't take it anymore. Just started magnesium and so far it seems to be helping

3. Leg pain and walking difficulties - nothing helps

JoAnn
  6. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

1-Pain. Generalized, but more intense in my neck and back. I take Ultram 50mg 2 tablets 3x/day and elavil 50mg once a day and Bextra 10mg once a day. I most always have some level of pain. Gentle stretching. Rest. Warm packs.
    2-Fatigue--sometimes so overwhelming I have to lie down right then. I haven't found anything to help this, and it's unpredictable.
    3-Poor sleep--elavil helps some. Keep a regular schedule, but nothing has really helped much. I'm usually awakened by pain, abdominal discomfort, or an irritable bladder.
  7. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

1. Pain: Panadeine Forte (Codeine30mg/paracetamol500mg)X2 three times a day.

2. Fatigue: Lying down and napping as and when needed at extreme short notice.

3. Morning stiffness & stiffness from too much activity. Hot shower, resting, nothing really helps.
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Pain - myofascial release, stretching

Fatigue - just run out of steam - it frustrates me so.

Bloating - haven't found the answer - stay away from trigger (allergies) foods. June
  9. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

1)Severe Muscle pain that moves arround body back and neck,legs and hips, arms and hands shoulders and chest.
    Take Anatriptyline 100mg pernight and Robaxin (muscle relaxant) 1500mgs per night to help sleep.heat blanket for back and neck.

2)Fatigue, tiredness run out of energy,all the time but can't sleep.

3)short term memory loss cant remember peoples names, how to spell or type, how i no people what i was going to do, and alsorts of stuff, if i have put stuff away cant find them.I used to now where everythink in my house is and at work they called me the dictionary as i was so good at spelling now i think i have jelly for a brain.going to see phyciatrist in September for cognetive therapy.
    Loopyloo x
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
  10. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

1. Pain- Lortab, Ultram, Ibuprofen, Heat

2. Depression- Paxil

3. Weakness- Haven't figured out that yet!

-Kathryn
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

1) Difficulties with sleep, both going off to sleep and staying asleep. Made some modest progress through using zopiclone, valerian and ZMA. No longer keep dozing off throughout the day and every day.

2) Cognitive impairment and "brain" symptoms, sub lingual methylcobalamine, treating leaky gut/candida, atkins type diet and a little more sleep have helped a little. I was in a real and persistent mess before.

3) Fatigue, even when there's a little energy it just suddenly disappears. Still haven't found any real solutions to this one.

If this had been some years back pain would have been at top of list.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
  12. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

Right this minute:

1. insomnia or when I do sleep it is in short spurts, Ambien once in a while helps some, trying not to use meds so trying all the rest, no caffeine, sugar, yeast..and routine
    2. Headaches and Dizziness
    3. fatigue and such a low energy level....trying wellbutrin and finding it much better than paxil for me
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  13. 600

600 New Member

1 fatigue. 2 brain fog. 3 allergies or sensitivities.
  14. twerp

twerp New Member

1. Dizziness - Klonopin .5MG 3X/day (every 6 hrs). This is my lifesaver, the only thing that keeps me functioning.

2. Depression - Lexapro, 10MG. Works very well.

3. Fatigue - CoQ10, magnesium, Vit B complex. I also do yoga and swim laps when I'm up to it. Exercise seems to help, but first you have to have the energy to do it!

Twerp
  15. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

1. Fibro-fog.. that has to be the worse. I even forget how to spell and type. (It is really hard to work with it)I get more confused trying to figure out how to help this.

2. Fatique- Always Always Always...Nap at lunch time?? I do tak ginkoba-gold, seemed to help at the beginning not so much any more.

3. Pain- Depending on what day where it happens to be. Upper Shoulders, neck pain, espically when working on computer. Lower back and hips if I walk to much. The all over achy. Vicodien, Advil (I think that helps more)

This was a good idea, I haven't been on here real long but it helps to hear what other people are doing for the same problem.

Hope you get good answers,
    Patti
  16. aching

aching New Member

1. Pain & achiness everywhere, hands,elbows,hips,back are my worst spots-I take arthrotec when I feel It's really getting me down(don't like to take to much)occasionally I take tylenol
    with codeine,also heat and rest.

2. Fatigue-This is very unpredictable,can come on anywhere,any time and sometimes feels incapacitating. Elavil at bedtime has helped some but I am still not able to function normally.

3. Fibrofog-Have found nothing that helps with this.......

Piper
  17. franners

franners New Member

Three worst symptoms of this disease in Fran's life is..
    1. depression/mood swings- why the hel# should I know what makes it better? sniffle sniffle
    2. brain fog- I forgot what makes it better... Oh yea, nuttin'..
    3. PAIN/numbness and pins and needles- Staying out of the wind, taking lots of drugs and then more drugs, nothin' helps the numbness... When I hurt a lot at night and can't sleep I like to tug on one single hair from Honey Ron's body (body part picked randomly) and pretend to be asleep.... ;)
  18. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

THANKS, Kim, for starting this helpful post! I learned a few things by reading the responses. My three are:

1. Ever-present chest pain (chostrochondritis) and eye pain. For me, Ultram helps other pains in the body, but for some reason not the chest and eye pain. I think the eye pain is from dryness, as I have excessive dry mouth constantly too, which annoys me all day. I haven't found anything but very temporary relief for the chest pain (ice packs on the chest help a little), and nothing to help eye pain or dry mouth. The dry mouth has caused gum disease too. Once I had steroid injections in the chest but it hurt so bad I won't be doing that again! Besides, I'm nervous about steroids.

2. Fatigue. Sometimes Ultram gives me a small boost of energy.

3. Memory Problems. I do computer word games, like Word Zap and Word Rap and I've noticed a small improvement for a short amount of time after playing.

Of course I have sleep problems too. A combination of 50 mg of Amitriptyline and .5 of Klonopin have helped some. But I've developed a dependance on Klonopin, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Stay well, everyone!
  19. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

#1. PAIN--400mg a day Morphine,20mg every 3 hours Roxicodone,400 mg a day Neurotin, 1200mg a day Lodine,
    #2. NO SLEEP--100mg Benedryl,300mg Trazadone,2 TranzeneT,
    plus all of the above in #1 (Even my dog naps
    all day because he knows we'll be up all
    night.LOL)
    #3.Fibro Fog--I used to be so good at Trival Pursuit that
    no one wanted to play the game with me. Now
    I can't even remember the name of the game
    most of the time.
    Oh well, it could always be worse and it probably will be.
    Smokeymar
  20. suz41

suz41 New Member

Kime with so many symptoms at various times its almost like a contest and the winner is? (Hehe) Seriously trying to use some humor, think it might be helpful. For me the 3 most bothersome or difficult symptoms are:

1> Pain in lower back snd Hips- I walk daily have massages and take 1-2 baths a day with lavender or eucalyptus oil somewhat helpful except when in flare, then not much helps.
    Supplements such as Magnesium and Malic acid help reduc pain. Extra strength Tylenol PRN (i'm careful about my liver) Also take supplements such as Vit B comples, Glucosamin/Chondrotin, Vit E, Calcium Sometimes pain patches on the trigger points in my back some relief if I catch before the flare is in full gear.

2. Fatigue- I hate feeling tired because I remember a time when I had so much energy. I go to bed earlier take Clonazepam for sleep and evening primrose seems to help a bit. Have tried Valerian not sure it works. Meditation.

3. Stiffness in hands and feet, this one is difficult because I dont have RA and no swelling so I'm trying to stay away from NSAIDS, usually i soak my feet and rub them with a foot creme (Natural Aloe and peppermint & eucalyptus)