Survey: CFS/FM/Lyme & Reproduction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've been reading a book called "Our Stolen Future," written about a decade ago.

The book is about how various chemicals developed in the past 50 years or so have affected reproductive capacity of animals and people.

According to the book, animals and humans with this kind of toxicity have reproductive difficulties even when they themselves do not show overt signs of disease.

Sometimes the disease symptoms show up later, however.

According to the book, problems and other illnesses due to chemicals (especially those that mimic estrogens) can show up in males and females, but are especially prevalent in women.

For instance, DES is an estrogen-like compound that was given to women during pregnancy mostly during the 1950's and 1960's.

According to studies in the 1990's, women exposed prenatally to DES were more likely to have dysfunctional natural killer cells and T cells, as well as autoimmune diseases. The book says that whether they will experience immune problems is unclear, since in animal studies immune problems in exposed females tend not to occur until later in life.

Anyway, I have yet to see much information on the effects of these types of toxins (including DDT, PCB's, etc.) with regards to CFS.

The book raises an intriguing question for me though: if indeed reproductive difficulties show up before other symptoms in exposed persons (and especially exposed women), then it might be that CFS patients may have been especially likely to have had such issues even before they "got sick."

(If indeed our illness is in part or whole prompted by these kinds of chemicals, that would be consistent with the fact that women are more likely than men to get CFS.)

I thus thought that it might be interesting to collect some information on this topic. Obviously nothing we do on the board is scientific, but I've yet to see anyone else collecting any information about it at all.

Thus, I'd be interested in hearing answers to the following questions:

1. Do you have CFS, FM or both? (A rough rule of thumb seems to be that FM sufferers respond well to pharamceutical painkillers whereas CFS sufferers respond poorly. Most people here seem to have a good idea of where they fall though.)

2. What year were you born?

3. How old were you when you got sick?

4. Did you have any children before you got sick? If so, how old were you?

5. Did you try to have children but not succeed before you got sick? What happened if so? (e.g. trouble conceiving, miscarriage, etc.)

6. Have you tried to have children since getting sick? If so, what has happened?

7. If you had children before or after getting sick, have any of the children experienced any sorts of health problems (physical or "mental")?

8. To your knowledge, were you exposed to DES in the womb? Or have you been exposed to any other man-made chemicals?

9. Do you believe that your CFS is caused or exacerbated by any concrete factor? (e.g. heavy metal toxicity, pesticides, mold poisoning, lyme, etc.)

10. Other comments?

Thanks!!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

1. Do you have CFS, FM or both? (A rough rule of thumb seems to be that FM sufferers respond well to pharamceutical painkillers whereas CFS sufferers respond poorly. Most people here seem to have a good idea of where they fall though.)

CFS.

2. What year were you born?

3. How old were you when you got sick?

4. Did you have any children before you got sick? If so, how old were you?

No.

5. Did you try to have children but not succeed before you got sick? What happened if so? (e.g. trouble conceiving, miscarriage, etc.)

Miscarriage at 10 weeks (fetus failed to form) initiated my CFS.

6. Have you tried to have children since getting sick? If so, what has happened?

Not tried.

7. If you had children before or after getting sick, have any of the children experienced any sorts of health problems (physical or "mental")?

Not relevant.

8. To your knowledge, were you exposed to DES in the womb? Or have you been exposed to any other man-made chemicals?

Not sure about DES, not to my knowledge. Man-made chemical exposure does not seem to have been out-of-the-ordinary.

9. Do you believe that your CFS is caused or exacerbated by any concrete factor? (e.g. heavy metal toxicity, pesticides, mold poisoning, lyme, etc.)

Mold Poisoning

10. Other comments?

Not yet.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Right now, I am too tired to answer all of your questions but did want to post that my mother took DES. When they first came out with the link to cancer. I was given a special test by my OB/GYN where I was swabbed with a special dye (?) and the doctor looked at the vaginal walls to see if mine looked precancerous. The procedure was not painful at all but took a long time. Fortunately, they did not. I do not know if there are other tests available today, but I see my OB/GYN on Friday.

Under comments, I weighed under five pounds when born. They did not think I was premature at the time but this was a looooong time ago. I was born in a very small town by a GP. Today I would have been put in an incubator. I have always wondered about this affecting my nervous system.

Glad you brought up the DES. Otherwise, I might not have remembered to ask the Gynecologist.

GA
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]