SURVEY::: Is there anyone else UNDERweight???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiem31, Aug 5, 2003.

1. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I'm beginning to think that I don't have FM after all. I have most of the classic signs and symptoms, but I am very underweight. From what I can tell, 98% of the people on this message board have the opposite problem. My own mother is overweight. I'm going to really look into this Chiari Malformation thing to see if that's what my problem is, because I certainly don't have the classic hypothyroid problem that everyone else here seems to have.

Please post and let me know if I'm the only one!!

Thanks to all, Debbie
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

But I did read somewhere that for CFS, initial weight loss can be common (I lost 30 lbs in 3 months). It's usually followed by weight gain because of lack of exercise. I actually didn't gain any weight back, and started to lose more when I cut out all dairy and sugar from my diet, and would have continued to lose if I were still as strict about it. I'd probably stabilize at some point.

Hope you find some answers!
  3. wle

wle New Member

I am overweight! Wasn't as much so until my activity level went to almost nill!
  4. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

I got down to 93 lbs. I did everything to try and gain weight. I've had CFS for 7 yrs.......and finally about 1 yr. ago......I finally started gaining weight again.....now I'm about average weight for my height.

Tammy
  5. Mtnflower

Mtnflower New Member

Hello,

My name is mtnflower. I have just joined your group. I will introduce myself better in another post. I just wanted to give my answer to your post. I was diagnosed with fm over 25 yrs. ago.I am 5'4" tall. My weight fluctuated for years(to 142lb.at one point) then dropped to 95lb.and stayed there for over ten years. Through a concerted effort to eat healthly and gain weight I have reached 115 lbs.Now I eat to maintain a "healthy" weight.I have more energy and look better.

Flower
  6. chalmeba

chalmeba New Member

hi,
    i don't have an official cfs diagnosis yet but we think that's what this is. i am 25 years old and i have always been thin/petite but am down to 85 pounds and cannot gain. i have cut out dairy and sugar as well as many of the carbs i was eating but i do still drink boost plus in effort to gain. it is an awful problem since most people don't sympathize with you. best of luck to you!
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have a serious problem keeping my weight up to normal. If I go into a flare that last a week or more I will lose 10 to 15 pounds. I have always been thin, up till a few years ago I weighed about 105 to 110.

I am always battling to keep my weight to 125lbs, I am 5'5" tall.

There are many of us here who have a low weight problem.

You have to remember that many of the meds we take for FM/CFS can cause weight gain. So many people that are over weight now, were their normal weight or below before being diagnosed.

I am not on any meds, except for low dose Xanax once a day.

When I did take meds, I could not take anything long enough to have an effect on my weight, they made me sick, I quit taking them.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, have FM, not CFS....................
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2003]
  8. tobyj

tobyj New Member

Yes I am underweight too and have been all my life. so are not alone. that confused my drs.for a long time, but yes i do have FM.
  9. jake2

jake2 New Member

I too can't keep weight on. I go up & down and lost 13lbs in just two weeks. I seem to gain 5lbs back and then loose it again. I know when I have a flare up I'm not hungry. I've been diagnosed with Fibro 2yrs ago. I also exercise everday for 30 min. Helps my Fibro.

Jackie
  10. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

so much. I am so glad I'm not the only one. Well, not glad exactly. Trying to gain weight and maintain it is so hard. I think it's just as bad as being overweight. I get razzed about it just like an overweight person. I am 5'9" and weigh only 105 pounds most times. If I'm lucky, it gets up to 110! This has been a life-long battle. My mom would take me to doctors and ask them if I had a tapeworm!

Most times, like the rest of you, pain and fatigue causes my appetite to take a hike.

Thanks again, Debbie
  11. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I have been underweight my whole life. I am 5'5" and up unilt recently I have always stayed around 100 lbs as an adult. I weighed 42 lbs in 4th grade. I am now finally gaining weight and I am at 108 pounds. Now I just hope I can keep it one.

Abi
  12. Kim

Kim New Member

I was normal weight (115) all my life until FM. Then went down to 98. During the last five years I've had trouble gaining weight.

All that changed when I went on Remeron. I can't stop eating!!!!!

I'm up to 120 and this is the most I've ever weighed. I'm 5'6" so it's probably about the right weight but I'm two sizes above my clothes!
  13. Kim

Kim New Member

I was normal weight (115) all my life until FM. Then went down to 98. During the last five years I've had trouble gaining weight.

All that changed when I went on Remeron. I can't stop eating!!!!!

I'm up to 120 and this is the most I've ever weighed. I'm 5'6" so it's probably about the right weight but I'm two sizes above my clothes!

The pain is worse with the weight gain. I can't imagine how bad the pain would be if I got fat.
  14. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Yes, I am underweight, and I am sick of having to defend myself because other's think I should weigh more.
    Food makes me sick, the smell of it cooking makes me sick, I can only eat certain food's, cause the rest Hurt me, it cause's me Pain, and it's a hard conscept for other's to understand who, are the opposite, and weigh more than they should.

I have FMS/CMPD, among other co-exisiting condition's, like IBS and IBD, and if I eat food's the make me sick, it can set off a Flare, of which I am in because of a recent experience, which left me feeling so sick that I have lost nearly 9lb's since the first of july, I weighed at the Dr'.s on July 8th, or the 7th, anyway, I was back there on Monday, and I weigh 125lb's, they weigh me at every visit.

Plus they take my B.P. and it's alway's good.

Well this is just another example of the FMS slogan, we're all different, with different Symptom's, but we all suffer or rather have the FMS.
    Just like some meds will work for some and wont' for other's, so I guess it's applied here too.

Sincerely
    Sharon
  15. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

but last may when I started getting one thing after the other I started losing weight at an unhealthy rate (I was 340 lbs. and in 6 months I was ar 250 lbs.) from being sick all the time.After my in and out of the hospital stay summer. I continued to lose wieght (50 lbs in 3 months). Now that I know it is officially fms, and i am starting to hve good days *(where I can eat and gain) and then flare ups (whereif I don't watch myself I can start losing ) I may end up, maybe not underweight, but at a weight that would not be healthy for me. especially since when I do lose weight I lose it at an unhealthy pace which is even startin to worry the doctor. She says that for most people 200 lbs. is still overweight, but if i can maintain around 190 oe 200 she would be fine with that, as long as i don't so that pretty much lets me out of any deits.
    during one flare up, the only thing that wou;d hel[ my stomache was choclate, for about 2 months almost nothing but chocolate went into my body and I still managed to lose 20 lbs that i had regained during a good non paain time.

Hope you feel better, and can at some point gain some of the weight you need.

Kelley
  16. 2girls

2girls New Member

I am 5'5" and have weighed in at 110lbs for the past year. Last Sept I lost 30lbs in one month, unintentionally. I have not been able to gain weight despite a healthy appetite.

2girls
  17. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I am struggling to keep weight on. Lately, I'm beginning to be successful, but I'm still a few lbs under minimum. Last summer I was in a bad flare and couldn't stop losing. It was getting scarey. I have a good appetite and enjoy eating. I eat a LOT. It's a puzzle- I don't have digestive problems but can't gain. But the weight has begun to creep up slowly now. This is a healthy sign.
    The low carb diet my Dr. put me on seemed counterproductive at the time, but it has made all the difference! I feel better than I have for years! (And diet is almost all I'm doing.)
    Madelyn
  18. kimkane

kimkane New Member

hi there, yes i have been underweight all my life. my mom would just cry because she thought i was sick, but i ate like a horse. now i am 46, 5'8" and struggle to keep my weight of 125. my dad used to call me 2x4. people do razz me also. you are not alone take care kim