Susan M. Lark, M.D. & 5-HTP for fibromyalgia - my questions:

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pearls, Apr 20, 2003.

1. pearls

pearls New Member

I'm thinking of subscribing to "The Lark Letter," Dr. Susan M. Lark's publication, but I'm interested in your input before I subscribe.

Dr. Lark says she was trained as a traditional medical doctor. Among other things, she taught at Stanford University School of Medicine. However, Dr. Lark is very interested in getting people away from "complicated, expensive, and often-toxic doses of prescription drugs [that] can do more harm than good."

Dr. Lark's recommended approaches for fibromyalgia includes 1) 50-100 mg of 5-HTP three times a day. She says there is a double-blind study of fibromyalgia patients using 5-HTP and that the fibromyalgia symptoms of these patients were relieved. 2) Sometimes, she says, she gives this 5-HTP a boost with St. John's wort and magnesium (precise dosages are given in her book, "WomanSense.")

Have any of you:

1) Subscribed to her newsletter or bought any of her books?

2) Found this protocol to be helpful?

3) Found her suggestions for other health problems to be helpful?

4) Can anyone tell me what 5-HTP is?

5) I would really like to hear from those of you who have medical backgrounds,especially. Susan Lark also has a website, though I found the information in her postal-mailed advertisements to be more interesting. My pain doctor has cautioned me about doctors who sell things, though. Dr. Lark does sell things, but I'd like to know what all of you think, nevertheless!

My doctor is a wonderful guy, and he is absolutely against remedies that have not been tested thoroughly in double-blind tests - and not just one test, either. Perhaps his philosophy is wonderful, too, but the more simple lifestyle changes and choices Dr. Lark suggests intrigue me, especially after the hormone replcement therapy debacle.

-Pearl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2003]
  2. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I have not used any of her remedies for fibro. That being said, I did buy her book on Fibroids and endometriosis..Praise to God that I did. I was sceduled for a hystrectomy and cancelled..but I was in such misery with fibroids..could not wear jeans, could not bend over without being light headed, could not sleep laying down..her book and ALOT of praying sure did help.

That was six years ago. Do I still have fibroids..yep. Do I still get uncomfortable with them? Occasionally, but its usually my own fault. I usually have not followed the diet that is good for fibroid problems.

I just wanted to let you know that although I do not know about her and the fibro...I do know that she has a wealth of info on fibroids and endometriosis..and it surely did work for me.

Hope this helps some pearl...Sherry
  3. Dayle

Dayle New Member

is a natural occurring chemical. I forget how it works but it helps with sleep. One word of caution DO NOT USE IT WHEN USING ANTIDEPRESSANTS. Why not talk to your Dr. it might be helpful.
    Love,D.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I found this interesting....thought others needed a chance to see this before it slips away~
    Tracey
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

I tried 5-HTP, and it kept me awake. I was taking it for awhile, 50mg in the morning, but not sure it was doing anything.

I subscribe to Dr.Lark's newsletter. Some months she has interesting and useful information, some months not. Seems she is VERY interested in selling her supplements and other products. I probably will not renew my subscription when this one is up.

Not really positive information for you, but hope it helps.

Beth.
  6. averilpam

averilpam New Member

in the earlier thread, the info I had read had a list of contra-indications, including a list of illnesses and a list of medicines not to mix it with.

Interestingly, it said you shouldn't take it if you have autoimmune diseases......
    but here's a doctor recommending it for just that sort of illness, so I don't know what to think
    Pam
  7. pearls

pearls New Member

I welcome both positive and negative information on this. I really would like to know what others think before I subscribe or not.

Anyone else??

-Pearl
  8. debonlake

debonlake New Member

Pearl: 5 HTP has been a godsend to me. I started taking it again last year after reading about it in several of the articles on this site. I cant remember which doctors suggested it, but one was one who had FM himself. Along with magnesium, coral calcuim, and malic acid I feel the best I have in 13 years. Look up other posts on 5 HTP and you will find alot of information. It has not worked for some but it is one that I will never go without. It is worth a try. Deb