Suspect I have Fibromyalgia/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AT88, Apr 3, 2016.

1. AT88

AT88 Member

I'm a 27yo male whose health problems have left me unable to work, socialize, and exercise for the past five years. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and Graves' disease in 2013, but I still have something wrong with me, and I'm increasingly certain I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue syndrome, or something similar.(BTW, I've been tested for Lyme disease twice and they've both come back negative.)

My symptoms:

-I feel tired when I wake up in the morning. It's not as if sleep did nothing, but I'm still pretty exhausted overall. I tire easily and sometimes collapse for a day or two following a particularly strenuous physical exertion.

-I respond very poorly to exercise. Whenever I swim (and not much, just a single lap in a 75ft pool, while wearing a flotation belt) I feel a stronger burning sensation throughout my body, along with numbness and tingling. I often have difficulty walking for a dew days afterward. I can't lift weight, either, and experience problems even with light stretching, which has discouraged me from exercising more.

-I do have difficulty concentrating and remembering things.

-I have to urinate frequently.

-A few months ago, I became constipated after a bout of food poisoning. There was no pain and no blood. Eating Jerusalem artichokes every few days seems to solve this.

-No evidence of any swelling.

-I do have trouble concentrating and remembering things.

-I get a sore throat whenever I speak for more than a few minutes at a time.

-Hair loss and acne

Anyway, I have a few questions of FG sufferers. It's one thing to read a list of symptoms online and quite another to understand precisely what they entail, so I'd really love to know how my experiences compare with yours in the following:

A. Tender points: I feel pain when I press on or rub the tender points, but I feel the same kind of sore pain wherever I do this pretty much everywhere, from my toes to my earlobes. Is this normal for FM patients?

B. Depression, anxiety, and stress: I'm obviously not happy with my life as it is, but that's how any normal person would feel. So while I am anxious about my future, I don't have panic attacks or thoughts of suicide or any intensely negative emotions. Is that typical for people with FM?

C.I have had mild headaches occasionally, all of them resulting from staring at a computer screen for too long. Wearing sunglasses and performing some simple eye exercises negates this completely and I don't get headaches for any other reason. Are your headaches similar?

D. I don't know if I feel chronic pain, exactly. At rest, there is a slight burning sensation in my muscles but it's barely detectable. It gets worse if I'm physically active, but usually I haven't been. It's also possible I don't really notice it because I've gotten used to it, but is that common for fibro sufferers?

I have not been officially diagnosed yet, but my doctor has raised it as a serious possibility. I want to hear your opinions as much as I do hers, though. Is what I've described congruent with your experiences of your FM symptoms?

Thanks for reading, I'm truly grateful to anyone who can help me.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, IT88,

Welcome to our wonderful website. I've been here since 2000. Most of the things which have helped me are things I first learned of here. I am so sorry for all you are going through and hope we can help.

Unfortunately, these illnesses can overlap in terms of symptoms and can be especially difficult to diagnose and treat. It can take several years to get an 'official' diagnosis based on elimination of other conditions. In the meantime, I suggest you treat your worst symptom first and, when you get some relief, go to the next worst one, etc. Again, this can take time and may be trial and error. The store here has supplements specific to our symptoms/conditions. They are the highest quality at the best prices. The founder of this website has CFIDS himself. A large portion of the profits go to research into, and advocacy for, our illnesses. You can read the story on the main page. You can also sign up for the e-newsletter, which has the latest news regarding what ails us.

CFIDS/ME and FMS often 'travel' with other illnesses, especially autoimmune conditions. In some, they may be primary and in others, they may be secondary to some other illness. In any case, it can be helpful if you can find a doc who specializes in such illnesses. I had help from peptide injections but it seems that the effectiveness has worn off. I have CFIDS/ME, FMS and Sjogren's Syndrome. I've been in a relapse for more than six months but the shots still seem to be helping with the dry eyes and dry mouth associated with the Sjogren's. There are only a handful of docs who do these injections. They are expensive and insurance does not cover them.

My advice to anyone starting out is to read, read, read up on these illnesses. There are a lot of good articles here and the members are very generous and helpful. They often respond more to a single aspect, or single symptom, of your condition. As mentioned before, try different things to try to get relief from your worst symptoms. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie