Suspecting You're Chronically Ill

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I was over at an MS site and I came across this:

"IMPORTANT: One thing that you really must do if you suspect that you may have multiple sclerosis, is to get your financial house in order immediately, at once and without delay. Ensure that you have adequate Health, Disability and Life Insurance prior to turning up for any examinations or tests. If any health professional tips you off that he/she suspects MS, request that no mention is made of this in any notes until you have sorted out the insurance issues. What MS treatments there are, are expensive and if you are forced out of the workplace you will need a source of income. Once a diagnosis is made it will be too late."

I sometimes tell newbies here this kind of info but I wish we had something official and permanent for them to read like this. This is some of the best advice you can give somebody in our shoes.

Oh and on that note, some people wonder why their doctor tells them they suspect ME or FMS but doesn't write it in their charts. Some doctors do that to protect the patient especially if the patient is still working but they aren't going to come out and say it.

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2009]
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Trying to get health insurance with a "pre-existing condition" is either impossible, or unaffordable!

Glad you brought this up!
  3. outofstep

outofstep Member

i was kicking myself for not having unemployment insurance when I could no longer work