Swallowing and chest pressure

Discussion in 'Ask the Doctor' started by Sarahloudobby, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Sarahloudobby

Sarahloudobby Member

I'm quite new to the forum. I have been a bit of a lurker before lucking up the courage to post.
    I have strange symtoms on and off when it comes to eating. I wouldn't say I have trouble swallowing as such but I am very aware of the sensation of the food going down. I get a lot of catarrh in my throat (presumable the post nasal drip) and downtime so feel like I have a ball type lump sitting in my chest. I have had cfs for 12 years and it tends to flare up for a few weeks or months at a time. This eating thing is very weird though. It also seems linked to stress and anxiety, this symptom comes and goes and sometimes I don't even think about it when I eat but at the moment it's really noticeable.
    I also have quite a bit of chest pain in my ribs especially around my xythoid process and middle of my breastbone. I am never sick or get any reflux.

Any advice much appreciated

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Sarah,

First, welcome to this wonderful site. I'm glad you found us.

I have had the swallowing thing and have found it quite painful. It's almost like a charlie horse in my chest when I swallow. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often and I've never been able to connect it to anything which might suggest why it happens. Others here have mentioned this in the past, so you're not alone.

Love, Mikie