Swallowing bad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Flashster, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Flashster

Flashster New Member

Whenever I search for swallowing problems and CFS/ME I end up on this forum so I thought its time I posted here as its my biggest issue.

I've had ME CFS for 8 years (started with food getting stuck low down in the oesophagus), but this year the swallowing problems started around the adams apple area - phlegm at first on one side. Now I'm on liquids (and a lot of coughing!). I've had a neuro check me for anything sinister, and a ENT is doing a barium swallow next week. Losing weight as it takes me ages to get soup down.

Really awful, and I've been having problems finding others with similar issues, which makes things even more worrying. Hoping someone can say they've been through this, and whether this is actually more in tune with Fibro or CFS?.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Others talk about difficulty swallowing but it's been a while. I don't know that anyone ever had a good reason for it. I have Sjogren's Syndrome and my dry mouth makes it difficult to swallow sometimes but I don't think it's the same thing.

Love, Mikie
  3. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

It's hard not to think the worst! I had a similar problem, and thankfully it was due to a LOT of tension in my neck. Chiro and massage helped, and I make sure to stretch every day and get a massage 2-3 times/month (2-3x/wk would be ideal). Hopefully your problem is nothing more than that, which is painful enough as it is.

A friend had (extreme) symptoms similar to yours and was unable to ingest anything other than liquids. She recently rec'd a Dx for Sjogren's after months of testing.

Good luck!
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I just went thru an ENT with the same problems. After a CT scan,barium test,scope down throat up nose etc.

Ct scan of sinuses-normal
    scope-revealed pervious broken nose and deviated septum
    swallowing-abnormal when I swallow throat doesnt close and liquid food wants to go in lungs
    losing voice-enviroment issuses

The phlegum-urge caution with this. My father got so bad he had to have a eating tube inserted. I take Municex to loosen this.

bottomline-its Fibro/CFs they gave me voice excerises to do and throat massages

hope this helps

[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2011]
  5. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

There are a number of possibilities.

Inflammation, ulcers, infection, Scleroderma etc.

Have they checked your thyroid & parathyroid glands are ok and not swallowen ?

Are you taking any medications ? Sometimes side effects cause throat swelling and/or swallowing problems.
  6. Flashster

Flashster New Member

Interesting (and slightly relieved) 3gs that you have been through this. I can honestly say it feels like I'm dying. It takes me about an hour to get a tin of soup down, which is all I 'eat' in a day. Did you ever get back to solids?

I'm getting weaker and thinner and thats making all other m.e. symptoms worse.

I'm supposed to be having a barium swallow tomorrow, but I'm having to cancel as I cannot go from not drinking anything from 10pm tonight to 2:30pn tomorrow. My blood sugar level is simply to low. Having to ask them for a morning appointment which is going to mean waiting another 2-3 weeks.

A neurologist checked me out for anything nasty (like ALS) and said I was ok, but noted a slightly drooping eyelid and fast reactions.

The general doctor and ENT guy felt my neck for thyroid I presume.

The neurologist did say a video fluoroscopy would be better than a barium swallow, not sure if anyone has an oppinion here? I am a little worried that the barium will completely clog me up!

[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2011]
  7. SherylS

SherylS Member

I used to have a sore throat all the time--hard to swallow, felt like a lump in my throat. Also had hard time eating. Would take two bites and feel full, like the food wasn't going anywhere.
    When I went gluten-free, all these symptoms went away!!
    Not sure if this is exactly what you are experiencing, though. Everyone is so different.
  8. Elisa

Elisa Member

Sadly I have to report I have the same thing and ME/CFS. I have had it now for several years following dental work. I have been checked for ALS and myasthenia gravis - which is what my gastro felt it was. So to him it is pharno/esophogeal and neurological. One opinion.

I puree all foods and have found some food sensitivities are involved heavily - so be certain to look into those - wheat (I have Celiac), corn, dairy, soy, certain spices (turmeric, often used for pain can cause intense esophageal problems - so can some antibiotics) - even less obvious things like rice, for some. And, of course, medications - even anti-anxiety drugs because they loosen upper and lower sphinters in throat and stomach and allow acid to cause damage.

I had a fever for 4 yrs too and severe breathing problems too...the list is long.

At one point a doctor found very low thyroid - as in hyperthyroid - but I have been unable to get anyone (MD-wise) to follow through.

My saga with ME/CFS is simple - no matter the problem - no matter how severe - I have been unable to find ANY major help - from the large teaching hospitals, to the world reknown care clinics/systems to the local docs and alt med practioners.

I have had luck with nutrition and supplements. Grape seed extract, Olive leaf extract, spray Vitamin D3 (bypasses gut issues), high dose C, probiotics, B12 shots (hydroxy) - and many others. Zinc lozenges, glutathione lozenges, licorice lozenges.

For swallowing, I just keep trying things - the level of the dysfunction ebbs and flows - some days its hard to swallow my own saliva - while on others, a good day, I can have a creamy soup - no texture - just thick liquid.

I have had ME/CFS/FM for 15+ years.

I have had most tests or more than most - for all systems and blood. Same issues as most - viruses, mycos, bacteria, fungus, etc....So my story is very similar.

Getting anyone to pay any attention is THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE.

I have lost my intermediary sight as well - fast, as in one afternoon. So something is up with all of this.

We all know - in our guts - that we have something that is effecting our functioning and stealing our health.

I will do my best to continue to fight - but it is getting very difficult with the 'house of cards feeling." But I need to say - please carry on and keep fightng because we never know what tommorrow may bring.

Plus, for me, God is my strength and hope my fortress.

God Bless,

Best advice: Pray a lot!

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2011]
  9. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I have a severe esophageal stricture that is up high. I had an attempted scope and biopsies in Aug, by a GI, only to discover that my esophagus is too narrow for a scope. I've been referred to a thoracic surgeon and go in for another attempt at dilation at the end of October.

No idea what is causing this stricture, but I think that it might be congential?? I've always had problems, though it has gotten worse in the last few years.

I didn't have to fast for the barrium swallow. Maybe they need to understand that the problem is really up high?? and that they don't need to see into your stomach?? I found the barrium swallow to be easy but the liquid did get stuck somewhat. At least I didn't aspirate it.

If you are unable to eat and getting weak, it should be treated on a much more urgent basis.