Swallowing problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hehmommy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I have had this problem with swallowing solids sometimes. It seemed to crop up after I got in a car accident about 1 year ago and got severe whiplash. The chiropractor said at the time that my neck muscles were so tight and that was causing some problems swallowing. It kinda eased up then came back again. It is frustrating because I am already skinny and if I can't eat without choking that doesn't help me at all. I went to the doctor yesterday and told him about it and he is doing some blood work to test the thyroid and iron. He says that whiplash wouldn't be causing that all this time. I am a bit scared. I was thinking maybe it is just that FM doing it. It feels like the muscles in my neck and around the back of my neck are so tight. It seems to be worse if I haven't had a good nights sleep too. Anyone else have problems swallowing? I am wondering how much of it has become pyschological. I am not sure anymore, but I don't even want to eat around anyone because I sit here and try to swallow and chew and chew and chew until I am nearly choking to death sometimes. I am having no problems drinking anything. I can swallow a few bites then wham it will hit me like I swallow and it gets stuck or my swallower is just not working. Any suggestions?

Trish :)
  2. yuckie

yuckie New Member

But, yes, I have trouble swallowing too. In fact, it was one of the first symptoms I took to my doctor. They also tested me for thyroid problems but everything came back normal. This was about 18 months ago and the problem continues but it seems to wax and wane. Sometimes I have trouble other times, not so much. I often notice the problem when I wake up and then even water is difficult to get down. I also have the problem if I don't concentrate on the "swallow" which can be difficult if I'm distracted in conversation or by the tv. I've been to the emergency room for a pill that actually got stuck in my throat due to this problem (I no longer take pills). I've finally just associated it with the sore throat and swollen glands that come with CFS and just try to work around it. By the way, I also had several other swallowing tests done. They were "unremarkable" as well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but at least you know you're not alone. Take care.